Digital camera question ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
As a lot of you guys know, Mama Bear designs and makes her own teddy bears and we have them for sale in our store. I take their pictures with an old HP318 camera and we are looking to get a better camera for photographing the teddy bears.
I don't want to spend a lot of money and I don't need zoom and the like as the bears stand perfectly still right in front of me and I can take a step forward or back to frame them. I also don't need a "lot" of mega pixels as most pics are for web use. Once in a while a pic is submitted to one of the bear magazines and the HP318's 2 meg 1800X1200 has been sufficient. A 4 or 5 meg camera would be more than enough for our needs.
I don't need a lot of useless gimmicks on the camera either. I think I need a good quality camera with a better than average lens that I can download onto my computer via USB. Any necessary picture mods will be done in Photoshop.
I am not a photographer and don't know anything about cameras, any help is appreciated .... thanks, guys & gals.
Merry Christmas !!..
cheers.gif

I would buy one of the large-body Canon point and shoot(though the very small body elph camera is excellent). Canon, IMO has the best usability, speed and quality of the point and shoot cameras. Ive had 3, and have worn them out.

Then again, for ultimate quality, Id buy a discontinued (used) older model Nikon digital SLR - Maybe the D70s, since it is the latest discontinued camera.

New, the D70s kit cost about $1000 (before they were discontinued) - too much I know, but likely you could find a well treated used one, or even a well treated used D50s or similar for $500 or so. And then youll have an infinitely more usable, longer lasting, and higher quality camera, which IMO will take higher quality (not MB quality, but optical image quality) pictures.

Now, more important, what is the website for your store if us BITOGers want to buy Mama's bears?????

JMH

Don't rule out the Olympus offerings. When I shoot the same shots with the Canon and the Sony, the Olympus always has the most crisp pics.

But I am of no help with model #'s etc....

I've got a Cannon Digital Rebel XTi (or D400 in non US countries). I am very happy with it and it takes very good photos. They have a kit that comes with a lens, but the EF-s 17-85mm with image stabilization is a good improvement. I can take pictures freehand that normally would require a tripod. It's better glass too. It is very easy to use (it has a full auto mode). I think it has a better price point than the Nikon, but the Nikon has better pro features and may be a little easier to hold for a longer time (the canon is a little small for me).

You know, I didn't read you email all the way through (I was looking at JMH's response mostly). I'd go with his advice, a wide body canon. But you might want to consider putting a few bucks down on one of these if you are doing product shots: light box

This one is pretty affordable and it can make a larger difference in how your bear looks - more so than better optics or a better camera.

While I can't recommend a specific model, I can give you a few good guidelines.

1. Megapixels- for posting internet pictures, you say your old 2MP camera has worked fine, and I'm sure that's true. Fact is, you could even drop back to a 1MP camera(actually, most of those were ~1.3MP) and produce excellent results on your customers computer monitor screens. The price of megapixels has dropped so low now that yes, you might as well get a 4 or 5MP camera- just remember that's a lot more MP than you actually need for the internet.
wink.gif

2. Optical(read LENS) quality- I can't specifically comment on the Olympus vs Canon mentioned above, except to say that I have several nice compact film cameras. Two of them are Olympus, and the lens quality on both is *Excellent*. I also have an original Canon ELPH- lens quality is mighty good, but not quite the equal of the Olympus Stylus Epic, IMO. Another brand to consider for lens quality in digital cameras- and it's something of a "sleeper" brand- is Fuji. I have a little Fuji model A330 3.2MP that's a couple of years old now. It was a raging bargain when I bought it, & the pictures are as sharp as anything I've ever seen on a 17-19" computer screen. I even had some 8"x10" prints made from an extra-good shot last year- they came out beautifully! You could probably get a current model Fuji in 4-5MP, for ~$150 US, maybe less if you shop around. Go ahead & get the real zoom(Optical zoom- not digital zoom), you'll never regret having it- and you may very well soon regret buying a non-zoom camera.(Sort of like a 2WD Jeep vs a 4WD Jeep- we all know which is the most versatile, yes?
wink.gif
) My brother looks at shots made with my little cheap 3MP Fuji, compares with what he took with his more expen$ive 4MP Canon & his older high-end HP- and just shakes his head.
grin.gif
The little Fuji cameras seem to offer great bang for the buck. Olympus models are also good bets for a razor-sharp lens, but the'll cost more than a Fuji.

The only downside I can see to getting an Olympus or Fuji digital camera is that they use the XD-format memory card, which will cost you a little more per GB when you buy it.

Also- some of the Fujis offer less "foo-foo" features than other brands, but they cost less & have everything most of us need.

Fact is, pretty much any brand will do. Just remember to use the "Macro" setting for any pictures shot a close range- from a few inches to few feet- and you'll probably do fine.

And whatever camera you get- so long as your computer runs Windows XP(or if you have a Mac), just download the pix direct into your computer via USB from the camera, and don't bother with any proprietary software that came with the camera. Even better, get a card reader* to fit whatever card your camera uses, after taking the pix pull the card from the camera & load into the computer direct from the card. When you have a lot of pix that's usually a lot faster than going through the camera.

*Memory Card Reader- a neat little gizmo consisting of a cable, with a USB plug on one end. The other end has a socket that accepts the memory card from your digital camera. Some of these even have "card-ends" with multiple sockets that will accept several different formats of flash memory cards. Relatively inexpensive and *very* handy, every digital camera owner should have one, for several good reasons.
thumbsup.gif

And if you want something *really* cheap-and I do mean cheap- I have a nice old Minolta dinosaur 1.3MP camera with 3x optical zoom, uses the commonly available & cheap Compact Flash cards & 4 AA batts, and has a truly razor-sharp lens. If interested send me a PM- but you don't want to do that, why miss a chance to get a nice *Brand New* camera?
grin.gif

Wifey gave me a nikon coolpix 4800... nice optics. Picture from one..

I repeat the vote of others who say don't go tiny to get a nice lens.

A new camera is great, as the internal image processing firmware is getting better all the time. Things like color balance guessing, contrast details are always improving as are CCDs.

My Mom has a D50 SLR... incredible quality... you likely cannot lose no matter what you buy.

I wouldn’t rule out getting a camera with an optical zoom. Digital cameras have been in a price free-fall over the last year and one can get a 6MP camera with 3x optical for $200 (or under) up here in Canada. An optical zoom can really help to frame a picture properly.

One of the biggest helps in taking clear and crisp picture is to use a tripod. No matter how still one tries to remain when taking pictures free-hand, there is inevitably a little movement that tends to blur the picture slightly.

I'll second a Canon. The A530 or A630 can be had for really good prices right now with the Christmas sales going on everywhere.

Alex.

A530 is dated...get the A540.

Canon S3 is also a good unit...if you can find a discontinued S2 those are a steal.

The SD600? is a great camera if you are a fan of mini-cameras...it has a neat image stabilization feature.

We have an SD600 - not nearly as good a camera as my older elphs - 2.1 and 4.0 MP units... dont know why, well I do - the old elphs were small and this is tiny - less glass, smaller flash. Battery life is great, and it takes very nice, detailed pics during the day, but it doesnt have the nighttime capabilities that my old elphs do... and Ive tried all the settings...

I think when I wear this one out, Ill get a slightly larger canon, more the size of my old elph... like this one:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contro...p;modelid=14321

if I like the form factor.

At this point Ive learned that there is starting to be a divergence in image quality... 6 MP from a point and shoot is NOT 6 MP from a CCD digital SLR.

That said, Id go for a 2MP digital SLR over a 4MP point and shoot... likely both will be about the same $$$. Canon does make a very nice, easy to use digital SLR, though Ive only shot it once.

JMH

I've had excellent results with a Canon A620 (the newer models are out and more megapixel) and have shot close ups of cut open filters, drain plugs, dipsticks and photos of my cars and posted them here on BITOG.
(you can search under my user ID for examples!)

(ok, here are a few...
grin.gif

Photos of oil filters #1

More filters cut open #2

More filters #3

Ok, last filters shot... Grin

Photo showing flash under truck

And it can take photos outside with good results IMO..

All of these are heavy compressed for web use.

I had a Rebel 300D and then a Nikon D70s and sold both just because I was spending more time having to carry and worry about SLRs and lenses that I hated to take photos.

Now, I can take photos that allow me to remember where I was and it is in a small package to carry around.

Plus it's ALOT cheaper for me.. (and everyone knows how cheap I am...)
grin.gif

You can find a A610(5mp)or A620(7mp) for around $200.

Nice simple camera with flip out screen which makes shooting easier.

The A640/A630 are the newer models. Same cameras with more MP for more $$.

Check out www.dpreview.com for all the reviews.

The 6A640 just got an excellent review but the 630 is $100 less. Here is the review of the A640...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonA640/

It's the best site IMO.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

The SD600? is a great camera if you are a fan of mini-cameras...it has a neat image stabilization feature.

SD600 does not have IS. You'd have to get SD800 for that. Not that it's really needed if you're not shooting at full zoom or low light situations.

Last edited:
I 2nd the Nikon D50 or any digital SLR.

People who are not even remotely picture savvy or care typically comment on the quality of pics.

Digital cameras are like any electronics. They are outdated in a week.

I've had a Fuji f601 for years and it has been great. Fuji has great customer support. Long after my warranty was over, the wife drown my Fuji. Fuji offered me any new camera at wholesale price. I got the same for a fraction of the original price.

The wife recently bought a Panasonic DMC-tz1. This is a nice camera for the money. Small with big zoom.

Canon and Olympus seem to always been on top as far as reviews go. I always use Steves Digicams for info.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Quote:

Digital cameras are like any electronics. They are outdated in a week.

I think this use to be true, but not anymore. I used my old nikon coolpix 5400 from may 2003 until a few months ago. Image quality was excellent, still superior to many digital cameras out today.

So i guess what im trying to say is that i dont see image quality advancing very much in low cost point and shoot cameras, but the number of features is getting better..

The lens must be very important ??!! What about those Zeiss (sp??) lenses on the Sony cameras ??
I once looked through a pair of Swarovski binoculars and they were head and shoulders better than my binoculars. And my serengetti driver sunglasses are superior to any other pair I have owned. Sunglasses and binoculars are only pieces of glass and optic coatings, no electronics.

Quote:

The lens must be very important ??!! What about those Zeiss (sp??) lenses on the Sony cameras ??

A marketing mumbo-jumbo mostly. They each have their proprietary lenses, just like Panasonic claims to use Leica lenses. Sony Zeiss lenses are not bad, but so are the lenses of many other manufacturers.

The picture quality of a digital camera comes from a combination of factors. Good lens is one of them, but there is also a lot of electronics involved (image processing, sharpening, noise reduction, etc.)

If you're shooting in low-light conditions, you want a bright lens, but that normally means a big lens, which translates into a big (physically) camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back