6 point vs. 12 point socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a complete set of 12 point but seldom use them,there are a few cars that use 12 point nuts on FWD axle shafts and a few other places so they do save the day when you do come across them.in general 6pt is all i use.I do however hate 6 point combination wrenches like the ones craftsman has been peddling with some of their sets.

You need a few 12 pt sockets for specific needs, but for general use, I only use 6 pt, and flank drive for the common sizes..
Fla nk drive is an improvement to the standard 6 pt, as is brings the contact pts back to a stronger centered non slip position on the nut/bolt head.

Quote:

You need a few 12 pt sockets for specific needs, but for general use, I only use 6 pt, and flank drive for the common sizes..
Fla nk drive is an improvement to the standard 6 pt, as is brings the contact pts back to a stronger centered non slip position on the nut/bolt head.

I suspect you know how a flank drive works, but your wording would confuse someone who doesn't.

A flank drive contacts the flats on the nut/bolt head near the corner, not in the middle of the flat.

Here's a poor quality picture that shows the flank drive socket is relieved so it doesn't contact the corners. It will contact the flats near the corners. If a socket only applied force in the middle of the flat, it obviously wouldn't work.
400605b.jpg

Edit: A better explanation...
Flank Drive Socket Patent

Torx does have advantage in certain applications. Such as Wheel bearing/hub assemblies on FWD and 4X4 vehicles. Mainly the ability to provide non-strip high touque load bearing surface for tightening/loosening the fastener in a very restricted area. Don't know exact ratio, but ALLEN head will strip at much lower torque load than Torx.

Bob

Conrod screws on some engines would be an example of where one might need a 12 point socket. You want high quality for that job.

I just pulled off a starter on a freightliner truck and it had three 12 point nuts on it. we could not use a six pointer. the other would be a torx that was a 22 or 23. of course we had neither so we found a twelve point that worked. we had to use a cheater bar and a hammer to get these bolts loose. after 2 days we were able to get them loose. it was a real bear.

the front shocks on my 83 MB have 12 point bolts...

more or less every combination wrench Ive exer seen has a 12 point setup on the box end part... I can buy a 12 point socket if I need to (in fact, I have a cheapo ratchet set that has 12 point sockets in every size Id need), so its really quite easy to have and use both. In reality though, the important question is what will you be removing most... likely it will be hex bolts, so 6 point coskets are best for your bulk collection...

JMH

Quote:

I just pulled off a starter on a freightliner truck and it had three 12 point nuts on it. we could not use a six pointer. the other would be a torx that was a 22 or 23. of course we had neither so we found a twelve point that worked. we had to use a cheater bar and a hammer to get these bolts loose. after 2 days we were able to get them loose. it was a real bear.

Those bolts take a 12pt 10mm socket. We have Freightliners at work and have not had any problems with the starter bolts.

Quote:

-SNIP-
I get to use Straight Slot, Phillips, Posi-Drive, Torx, Tamper Torx, Inverted Torx, Torx Plus, Tamper Torx Plus, Pipe Plug, 6 Point, 12 Point, Line Wrench, Crows Feet, 12 Point Crows Feet, Square Drive, Allen Head

Lets see, seen but not used or used in a while triple square, pin spanner, face spanner, Reed and Prince,

-SNIP-

How about clutch-head? (or is that what a Reed & Prince is?) I actually have a clutch-head screwdriver in my toolbox but I have absolutely no idea where it came from.

Personally, I like 9-point sockets- a good compromise between 6-point and 12-point sockets. The sockets last forever too...

In all truth, though, I prefer the 6-pointers for the very reasons mentioned.

Reed & Prince is like a phillips that is at 45 degree angle the comes to a point.

YUP a third screw driver that basically looks just like a phillips/posi-drive.

Clutch is fun, 2 pin, 3 pin, the special tools for taking out the funny straight slots in public places that have only smooth ramps in the reverse direction. You can tighten but not go to loosen with the straight slot and nothing there. Do not forget British Standard.

The fun continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back