6 point vs. 12 point socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the obvious, what is the difference between 6 point and 12 point sockets? Is one better than the other for certain things, or is it just a matter of personal preference?

As far as I can tell the only difference is that a 12-point socket is easier to put on the bolt you're removing.

6-point sockets are supposedly less likely to strip/round off the bolt. I have no 12-point sockets. I don't miss them.

All 6 points here. They make it almost impossible to round off a hex. Especially the shapes that Craftsman and Metrinch use. It also makes it more likely to grab a nut that is already rounded.

When I started wrenching on cars 30 years ago, within a year I replaced my hand-me-down 12-pts with 6-pt impact sockets and never looked back. I'm still using the same set this day.

Only rarely have I seen a 12-pt bolt head -- mostly on aircraft.

6 point sockets put pressure on the flat of the fastener, where you can apply the most force. 12 point sockets put the pressure on the corners.

A 12 point can be easier to get on a fastener in a tight spot. I try to use 6 pointers as much as I can.

Quote:

When I started wrenching on cars 30 years ago, within a year I replaced my hand-me-down 12-pts with 6-pt impact sockets and never looked back. I'm still using the same set this day.

Same here. The only 12pt I use is the 12mm for R&R of Ford driveshafts. I don't really even use chrome sockets at all anymore, except for 1/4" drive stuff.

If you can't get a socket on something, spin the wrench a little. If you're using a cheater bar or torque wrench, pull the socket off and put it on the square peg 90 degrees off. This will offset the 60-degree hex 30 degrees from where you started.

Kestas and Punisher are dead on. Originally break over bars were used a lot. 12 point allowed for more "bites" in tight spaces. With the widespread use of ratchets, need for 12 point is nil. With exception of above mentioned drive shaft bolts and wheel bearing bolts on late model Dodge PU's.

Bob

I concur with said info.
Coming from my vast experience.............:) Well lets just say I have been around the block enough to know what they say is good info from my experience.

I appreciate, too, the answers given.

With that in mind I would still pick up a 12-pt (quality; garage sale/pawn shop) in a size such as 9/16 where I seem to use it a great deal. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but sooner or later that 12-pt socket will be handy.

ive only seen 12pt on Ford Driveshafts, the pinch bolts on some Ford Twin I-Beam bushings, and some dodge pickups. other then buying sockets for that specific reason, i have all 6pt. all my wrenches are 12pt though. i do alignments a lot, so i need to get into weird tight spaces on some really poorly designed suspensions.

Just to throw a "wrench" into this discussion.....the rounding of corners should be a moot point according to Snap-On, who I "think" first patented the 12 point socket that grabs the nuts (ouch) away from the corners. The patent must be elapsed because Craftsman and others now have this design.

Having said that, I also chose 6 point sockets on my last new tool set.

Except for the Ford and Jeep driveshafts, I'm curious why the automakers don't use 12-pt fasteners more often like the aircraft industry does? It seems the auto industry prefers using torx heads for premium fasteners.

For all you or I know, 12 pt fasteners might start at grade 9.9 and the aircraft people use those so a cheezy auto-grade part doesn't accidentally get substituted.

ARP makes nice head studs for head bolt apps, that also include 12 pt nuts.

The automakers invented/popularized phillips heads in the 40's just because the screwdriver doesn't slip off on the assembly line. Bet the torx has similar speed/ease of assembly considerations.

Quote:

The automakers invented/popularized phillips heads in the 40's just because the screwdriver doesn't slip off on the assembly line. Bet the torx has similar speed/ease of assembly considerations.

A story I was told while an apprentice in a machine shop:
Mr. Ford was know for doing business with his friends. When he wanted to us a screwhead which would hold the screwdriver to prevent slipping two of his friends offered ideas: Mr. Phillips the + design, Mr. Richardson the square indent. At a party Mr. Richardson offended the Fords, so Mr. Phillips got the contract.

Just a story I heard...

Twelve Points can strip more easily as Six Points can turn fasteners farther back from the corners.

Combination of both is nice to have.

As far a Phillipss head stuff

I get to use Straight Slot, Phillips, Posi-Drive, Torx, Tamper Torx, Inverted Torx, Torx Plus, Tamper Torx Plus, Pipe Plug, 6 Point, 12 Point, Line Wrench, Crows Feet, 12 Point Crows Feet, Square Drive, Allen Head

Lets see, seen but not used or used in a while triple square, pin spanner, face spanner, Reed and Prince,

Torx was used because the patent owner of TORX provided GM with tooling and stuff to make fasteners and tools to install them.

Almost all my sockets are 6 point but i never see combination wrenches in anything but 12pt. I would love to see some in 6 pt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back