Tire shops and tire pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Trucku show them the side-wall that says the tire is good to 44 or 45 PSI or more and laugh at them.

At the dealership they are supposed to set the tires at factory spec.

For alignments it is a necessity. Can through off the alignment.

I set them to the door unless asked for other specs within the tire limits. When the come in hot I set them either to the highest pressure up to 4PSI over or the door which ever is higher. I have a car/truck that has 26/36 for recommended pressures. Wears the edges up front and the center out back. They have some with TPMS and when you set the to the 32 like TPMS likes you get good wear out of both. You figure it out.

OK so Lied I will set that vehicle to 32 and 32 and ignore the door. But their stupid on that one.

Oh when I used to work at Sears a lot of guys just used the rule of thumb that cars get 32, trucks and vans get 35, HD stuff read the door. And that is all they wanted to know. Even if it was on the paper what the factory spec was. You got the VOLVO that recommended 44PSI your out of luck you get 32 and like it. I hated it. STUPID, HUH.

I had my tires put on at a Firestone service center and they came with free rotation for the life of the tires. The truck has had rotations done at three separate Firestone locations and they have always filled the tires uniformly and to the correct pressure. I have probably had five or six rotations done on the tires.

When I worked at a quick lube place we always aired tires up to whatever was on the door. Anything with aftermarket wheels that were not the stock size or anything with tires that were not the stock size were not touched and a note that the tire pressure had not been adjusted was put on the work orders. The company simply did not want to take any risks. I never had customers request a certain pressure, but if they had I would have told them that we could only fill the tires to what was on the door.

Quote:

i specifically ignore customer tire pressure requests.

Show some class and tell them up front that you won't set the tire pressure where they want it?

They are paying you to do a job, if you aren't willing to do it they way the customer wants, tell them.

i ignore it because it violates a company policy. we are told to set to the workorder or door only. where i work they have fired people over less.

Quote:

i ignore it because it violates a company policy. we are told to set to the workorder or door only. where i work they have fired people over less.

What's the name of the company. I want to make sure I avoid going to a business that ignores what I tell them I want done.

If they told the customer that they wouldn't do it the customers way, then they would at least be showing some itegrity.

Quote:

doing what the customer requests when it is not to a factory spec is just asking to be sued.

exactly. its a national chain that not only does auto work but sells most of the tools on this webpage use. if i set that pressure too high or too low, and the tire blows, i cna legally be arrested and charged with negligence. there have been techs at other stores that havent torqued wheels properly, tire comes off, passenger dies and the tech gets charged with negligant manslaughter. im sorry, but i set to factory spec, if you want to change it do it on your own.

when i worked at a tire service center we were usually pretty good about getting the pressure somewhere in the neighbor hood of factory settings.

usually small cars were about 30 to 32, usually put them at 32 during colder winter months where you can sometimes loose 2 psi overnight depending how cold it gets

with larger cars and small trucks usually went at 35 psi

larger trucks/vans anywhere from 40 to 80 psi, that is when we usually wouldn't guess and check the door jam or the newest book on tire sizes and pressures for every make/model

You also have to remember most techs have to supply their own chucks/inflation tools which might be very old. The pressure gauges are usually inaccurate. The current amflo inflator I just picked up is 4 psi off and my old one was 2 psi off. Our tire mounting machine is even further off.

at my work when im mounting new tires, ill use the gauge on the tire machine, fairly accurate. when i inflate a tire thats on a car i will use the chuck but double check with a known accurate (within2lbs) pressure gauge.

I own a dial-type, with external hose, pressure gauge. I paid about $20 for it and it seems to be accurate compared to a bunch of other gauges I've used.
I put it on my CR-V about a month after we bought it. All 5 tires were between 44 and 47 PSI.
The door plate says 29.
I run all my tires about 3 lbs. over the plate. Not 15 lbs.!!!

Quote:

Quote:

doing what the customer requests when it is not to a factory spec is just asking to be sued.

exactly. its a national chain that not only does auto work but sells most of the tools on this webpage use. if i set that pressure too high or too low, and the tire blows, i cna legally be arrested and charged with negligence. there have been techs at other stores that havent torqued wheels properly, tire comes off, passenger dies and the tech gets charged with negligant manslaughter. im sorry, but i set to factory spec, if you want to change it do it on your own.

Unless you are an independent contractor, you will not be personally sued or arrested for any kind of negligence you inflict while on the job. As an employee for a national chain, the company would be sued or fined, not you personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back