When do you guys change tires - wear bar, etc

Just curious - when do you guys swap tires. When it's down to 3/32, 2/32, when you see wear bars, or when it just starts shaking like crazy......

FWIW, The SCHP mandates a change when the tread wears to 3/32 due to the environments those tires encounter. Snow traction is said to suffer below 6/32 and wet/hydroplane resistance is said to decline below 4/32.

To answer the question, I'll run mine to 2/32 in 2 side by side grooves.

I use 2 sets or tires/rims. New tires go on for Dec-Jan-Feb and get stored for the next winter, then they become "smokers' for the summer. I toss them when I see the belts.

depends upon the season I'm heading into.

that said, we routinely get well over 50k miles of life on our tires on all vehicles, so sidewall cracking and UV breakdown seem to be more of the deciding factor.

JMH

They didn't say what kind of tire they tested. I assume a middle of the road A/S tire. I wonder how the best wet-weather tires would fare in a similar test?

Although I believe it, I am always approach a "study" like this that is produced by a tire company and propagated by a tire retailer.

It's probably true, but the last part showing a car going through boxes means that the marketing department was absolutely involved in this "test". I can't see a regular engineer setting up a visual aid like that when numbers are typically more important to them then a crashing visual aid. At least they didn't stand up a family of crash dummies posed to be walking across the street. That would be too obvious.

Always the cynic...

Back