M1 0w40 for european small diesel(Peugeot)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I'm from Eastern Europe and I
driving.gif
have a Peugeot 206 HDI - common-rail diesel with a small engine: 1.4 litre. The manuf. recommand an 5w40 oil that should minimum meet CF/B3 specf. Will it good to use an 0w40 oil (let's say M1) cause I drive mostly in town and thing this one will be more appropiate for this kind of traffic.
Did anyone used M1 0w40 in a diesel, specialy common -rail ? How was it?
Pls advice! Thanks!

welcome.gif

Let me ask you, what oils do you have available? Castrol's 5w-40 would be a good choice. M1 0w-40 meets the following specs:

* Mercedes MB 229.5
* BMW Longlife 01
* Porsche Approval List 2002
* VW 502.00/505.00/503.01
* GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline)
* GM-LL-B-025 (diesel)
* ACEA A3, B3/B4
* API SM/CF

I think that while not optimal for extended drains, this oil would be adequate for your needs.

This oil is known to shear to a 30wt relatively quickly, then often thickens back up later. It probably lacks the TBN to run extended drains, but for the recommended interval I am sure it is fine.

As buster mentioned, Castrol 5w-40 would be an excellent choice, as would Rotella T Synthetic, Mobil Delvac 1, Pentosin 5w-40, Motul 5w-40, and Elf 5w-40 or Elf long life oils.

Not optimal for extended drains?!?!?

Maybe when put into a vehicle that was not designed for extended drains, this is so, but when put into vehicles designed to utilize such an oil, it does quite well.

For me, Id prefer to utilize a more robust diesel oriented additive package if warranty allowed...

JMH

Quote:

Did anyone used M1 0w40 in a diesel, specialy common -rail ?

Not personally, but lots of people use it over there (I'm from Poland originally). Except that they use the one with the "M1 0w-40 TurboDiesel" label on it. But apart from the different label, all the specs of this oil are exactly the same as the regular M1 0w-40.

Hi there & thanks. I have available many oils as: Castrol TXT & Magnatec, Mobil Synt S 5w40, M1 0w40, M1 1 0w40 TD, M1 5w40 TD( but harder to find) , Valvoline stuff also, Liqui Molly stuff, Total Quartz (currently I'm running Total Quartz 5w40- what's manuf recomand.), but I think the 0w40 will be better for my little Peugeot - even if it's twice as price
twocents.gif
then a regular 5w40 . What do u think? And about M1?

Thanks Quattro Pete! So is ok to use it. I was afraid that 0w40 (even TD one) could be rather thin for a diesel...

I wonder if that M1 5w-40 TD is the same as Delvac 1 5w-40. If so, that's an excellent oil and I'd use that if you can find it.

No, it's not the same:
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 visc at 40 gr. C - 102,
visc at 100gr. C- 14,8 , visc index- 151,
Approuvée
Volvo VDS-2/VDS-3
Cummins 20078/77/76/75
MB 228.5
Renault RVI RXD
Satisfait les normes
API CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF-4
API CF/SL/SJ
ACEA E7E5/E4/E3 - CAT ECF-1
Huile de technologie de synthèse très hautes performances pour
moteurs diesel permettant de prolonger la durée de vie du moteur
tout en espaçant les vidanges et en permettant des économies de
carburant.

AND

Mobil 1 TD 5w40 visc. at 40 gr. C - 87, visc. at 100 gr. C - 14,6 visc index -175
Satisfait les normes
ACEA B3/B4
API CF
Huile moteur 100% synthèse de technologie d'avant-garde avec le
système anti-usure SuperSyn®. Spécialement recommandée
pour les moteurs diesel turbocompressés pour faciliter le démarrage
à des températures très basses et protèger efficacement le
moteur à des températures très élevées.

I observ that the Delvac 1 is "Huile de technologie de synthèse"- that means synthetic tehnology meanwhile Mobil 1 is "huile moteur 100% synthèse de technologie" - that means 100% synthetic.
On other ExxonMobil site says synthetic for Delvac 1 and fully synthetic for Mobil 1.
It's kind a wierd : for me syntetic or full synthetic it is not the same. The "synthetic" one is a little bit less synthetic then a "full synthetic" or what?

Yes Pete, u are wright - I saw that too.
Those specif I've posted above was taken from the exxonmobil french site and the one which says "synthetic" was taken from exxon-mobile finland.
Real strange. Maybe is market strategy - but somewhere someone is not true. The thing is that synthetic tehnology could be labelled even an semisynthetic oil who uses some synthetic in it...

End of story. I've just bought M1 0w40 Turbo diesel.
I'll let u people know how the car handels with it.
Thanks for all advices1

I've changed the oil yesterday. The engine seems just a little bit louder - especially when the the turbo works, but overal, I think the car is more agile than before - or is just the placebo effect
dunno.gif
. Hope not to experience the oil consumption that the others who used M1 0w40 talked about.
tongue.gif

I'll let u know who it will work for me from know on. Cheers!

The other thing that I've noticed in 3 days after changed to M1 0w40 TD is that the engine runs smoother but louder in the same time, and rpm gets up quickleyer than with a 5w40.
The water temperature never cross the 80° C - with the Total 5w40 stayed usually at 90° C in normal driving. Is that a good or bad sign? Any comments?

That's a sign of lower viscosity. Keep truckin'. It will protect your engine well and this oil lasts a long time (high TBN, stable basestocks, a lot of anti-oxidants).

Nice car! I'm not a big fan of French cars or French anything for that matter (although their new President is a breath of fresh air, IMO) but Peugeot makes excellent small diesels and the 206 is a car I'd own if I lived in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back