Lexus Rx330 Trans oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just used a suction pump almost 4qts of trans fluid out of the wifes RX330. The owners manual says it holds 3.8 qts of T-IV but gives no other information as to how to check the fluid? #@$%!?
mad.gif
All it says is to contact your dealer. What after the transmission falls out on the street? In any case we had it changed at 60k and now at 92k the fluid looks like motor oil but still has a slippery feel to it. Does anyone know if Blackstone will test this fluid?
dunno.gif

2004. Sucked right out of the dipstick tube with a hand pump fitted with plastic 1/4" refrigerator ice maker line I bought at Ace hardware for $.13/foot. Took about 10 minutes.

check the fluid level with the engine running, usually? the dipstick may have a cold and hot setting. that's how its done the early 90's ls400. btw, when i swapped out the fluid it was also very dark. i don't know when the tranny was serviced last.

The transaxle in the RX330 (U150/U151) has a drain plug in the transmission pan. You can service the unit by removing the drain plug to drain out about 4 quarts. Refill through the dipstick with new T-IV.

Toyota’s official position on transmission fluid is to inspect the fluid and replace as needed. Unlike some automakers, they recommend replacing the fluid at the first sign of discoloration or unusual odor.

unDummy- since it's a RX330, it would have to be 2004 or newer.
wink.gif

Sorry Critic, but I believe that threads would have better answers if more details are included in the question. Year/make/model/engine/transmission gear count/transmission type/AWD/RWD/FWD/.... should be MANDATORY to help keep the forum 'to the point'. And, with the lack of a good edit button, just making sure it wasn't a 300 or 350. Also, when someone mentions a vehicle, the entire platform and previous/future version come into mind.
Maybe I think too much but, Rx330 to me means Es/Camry/avalon/solara/highlander/400h and similar engineering from any/every Toyota/lexus that I've ever working on...... More info is better then lack of info.

I was also stumped on why someone would remove fluid without knowing how to refill it? I was trying to be polite instead of just answering with "Use the #@$%! dipstick".
pat2.gif

Typical Toyota ATF fluid check is hot, on a level surface, with vehicle running in park. As mentioned, just about any company that provides a UOA for oil should be able to test the ATF.

Also, if you remove 3.8 quarts, it would be really easy just to add back the 3.8 quarts and not worry about it. Most transmission have a running range. It won't care if it is a couple ounces too high or low. This helps make up for incorrect ATF temp and checking on a not so level surface. If you bought 4 quarts, use it all and call it a day. Your northern location, on average is cooler, so you might benefit from a little extra ATF.

I like the suction method of fluid removal. It is usually easier and sometimes less messy then drainplugs. Servicing a car from the top is easier then crawling under it, less chance of ruining your concrete driveway, and less likely to have leaks caused by loose drainplugs.

KBFXDLI, since you are now an experienced fluid extractor man, consider changing that ATF more frequently. Once every 6-9 months would help extend the life of that transmission. As mentioned above, you are only servicing half the fluid. Make up for the 1/2 fluid service by performing it more frequently.

Another thing, why does the owners manual tells you to visit the dealer when the vehicle is already equipped with a dipstick? could it be that someone screwed up on the owners manual, could it be that dealer will measure temp to make sure level is perfect, could it be that the dipstick was to be phased out but slipped by for another couple years, could it be an easy way to sell a full ATF flush at the Lex dealer, could it be that Lexus assumes the typical owners is over educated ad doesn't have the common sense to read the dipstick.....

Amsoil has been thoroghly tested and works great in Toyota's that require T-IV. Iti s usualy easy to find and cheaper in some cases then T-IV. SOme dealerships sell a gallon of T-IV as cheap as $19 other want close to $40 for a gallon tin of it. Prior to T-IV when most Toyota transmissions were useing DexIII most Toyota's used a 30,000 service interval. Most of Toyota's pans have drain plugs and most only hold about 4 quarts in the pan. I usualy like to drain my Mothers Tundra wich calles for DexIII about every 15,000-18,000 miles and refill with M1 ATF. Now after 2002 the Tundra switched to T-IV but as far as I can tell the transmission internals all stayed the same.

It has been my experince with Toyota's that vechiles that get at least an anual chage of fluid seem to have little if any problems. One Toyota tranny guy told me that if I changed the pan contents on Mom's Tundra at least ever 18,000 miles that the transmission would last forever! Seeing how this guy does mostly transmission work at one of the largest Toyota dealerships in Michigan I take him at his word on best maintence practices. I and my family have mostly owned Toyota manual transmissions vechile and this is why we asked to speak to their tranny guy when Mom bought a Tundra. We wanted to know what the best practice was not what the Owners Manual recomends.

On my Dodge Dakota I changed the OEM fluid out in it's Automatic at 10,000 miles and then planed on doing it ever 30,000 miles. The difference though was that I had to drop the pan on the Dakota and I got 8 qurts out of a system so I was able to change out more of the fluid from semi-synthetic OEM fill to full synthetic.

I would recomend that you get yourself a long steped transmission funel most automatics are hard to fill without one. No sense makeing a mess or wasteing expensive fluid. The color is not that indicitive of bad fluid. A lot of modern ATF's can lose their Red color easily with out being oxidized. THe smell and feel is more important. If it smells burnt or feels grity between the fingers it is long overdue and might be haveing some issues!

Well I got out about 4.2 quarts believe it or not. The manual says 3.8 in the pan capacity but more than a gallon came out and 4.2 went back in to get it up to the hot full mark on the dipstick and now it runs & shifts much smoother. This will be a 15000 mile regimen in all my vehicles now because I bought a motive fluid extractor. I do like the extraction better than the drain but may drain every 45000 to change the filter (if there is one). But get this...I called 3 Lexus dealers to find out if I should check the trans oil hot or cold with the engine on or off. All 3 "service advisors" had to go ask the mechanic...#@$%!??

Isn't it funny how hard it is to get a straight answer from the dealership?
K8, ebay is a good source of bootleg factory service manual DVDs. With the FSM, you won't be calling dealers anymore.
Also, there is also some good online TSB info on a bunch of forums like tundrasolutions.....
You might even be able to find a the service DVD online somewhere and download it for free.

I think I'll just get a service manual. I have found a good independent shop that is staffed by Toyota & Honda mechanics and they are 1/2 the cost of the dealer. Plus their work is perfect. I go to them for major service I can't do like timing belts etc. But I'm doing all my fluid chenges on all my vehicles now (3 cars 1 Harley) and I save about $1800 per year which is really unbelieveable.

Few of Toyota's modern transmissions use servicable filters like they did years ago. This is one reason I like to stay ahead of fluid changes!

I just got my Motive fluid extractor UPS today! Now I'll be suckin oil out of everything that moves. This thing is really heavy duty.......definitely worth the $$ as the Lexus dealer charges $169.00 to change the trans oil...which is rape IMO

Probably a good move changing this transmission fluid regularly.

My neighbor had this same vehicle and lost the transmission at 100k km's. Lexus gave her a new transmission outside warranty, all she had to pay was 1/2 of the installation charge. The entire bill would otherwise have been around $10k.

Of course, they treat her quite well since she buys a new lexus from them every few years.

I will say I've heard very good things about lexus and honoring warranties. They even pick up the car at her house when it's time for service, and leave her with an equivalent lexus until they are finished with her car. Not bad. (sorry. a little off topic).

100k kms and a lost transmission! If that happened to mine I would be most upset, oil change or not, as the transmission is supposed to be filled for life unless used in severe conditions when it has to be changed out at 80k kms.
Roger

The U140E transmission in the 99-03 RX300 SUVs are known weak links...also in the event of a failure, they tend to fail catastrophically, usually requiring many hard parts (gearset, etc) in the rebuild process, bumping the cost of the rebuild to $3500 or so.

I know 2 owners that killed RX300 transmissions. Hint, both were on OEM ATF!

IMO, the tranny is undersized and undercooled. This is exaggerated by the added weight of AWD.

Consider a 7.5k drain/refill or 15k flush and it'll last forever.

The problem with luxury car brands is that maintenance schedules for certain components are distant or simply ignored. This only leads to future problems. And, it takes 3-5 years before the problem becomes 'common'. Usually the 2nd owners ends up with the bill.

For ANY owner with ANY vehicle, do some research on TSBs, recall, and complaints.
I believe that even the RX330 has some programming updates.

For everyone else, almost every transmission will benefit from an ATF cooler. Install one.
IMO, every vehicle deserves an aftermarket transmission filter kit. Racor, B&M, Permacool, Transdapt, Magnefine have kits. Or, build your own using a remote mount and oil filter.
If possible and in your budget, upgrade to a synthetic ATF.

unDummy: Do you know if the 2 RX330's that you mentioned were towed, or normal driving killed it? One other thing, when do you suggest one drops the pan and cleans the magnets, also how ofter does one have to clean the magnets.

My new Highlander comes with a tranny cooler, since it came preped with the towing option. Does one need a remote filter when one does regular flushes say every 30K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back