1999-2004 Grand Cherokee power steering/ATF+4 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone dealt with this that really has some insight? Here is the TSB -

TSB - 1900503 - POWER STEERING FLUID USAGE
Date: 08/29/03 (supersedes 1900701 dated 10/26/01)
Model Year(s): 1999-2004 (WJ and WG)
Description: Power Steering Fluid Usage.
Details: The factory fill power steering fluid for all 1999-2005 WJ/WK/WG/WH Grand Cherokees is a unique fluid, MS5931. ATF+4 (MS9602) should NOT be mixed or used as a “topping off” fluid on the Grand Cherokee. All models listed should be serviced using ONLY the special MS5931 fluid. ATF+4 is NOT an approved power steering fluid for these models and should not be used. Note that all fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.
The part number for MS5931 is 04883077 (quart).

The short version of the story -

I went to the stealership approximately 6 months ago to get power steering fluid (I suction out the old fluid the best I can and top off with fresh). The guy does not ask anything other than, what make, model, year and so fourth...

He then sells me ATF+4 and says i'm good to go. I do the usual fluid fill and go about my business. Over the next few months I notice that the steering is getting harder and harder and sometimes goes out while i'm turning into parking spots.

The other day I find out about the TSB and how it states that the fluid can't be mixed and that ATF+4 should not be used. Very angry, I call the stealership and play dumb when talking to the parts person.

First I recorded the conversation with the parts guy when I played dumb asking for which PS fluid I needed. He tells me, ATF+4. I then call them out on the TSB. Then I drop the bomb... I tell my steering jacked and goes out often since I serviced the fluid last summer with the ATF+4. He pulls up the TSB and tries to backtrack. I then told him that they don't ask a customer if it's to top off or a complete refill of the entire system.

I get transferred to the parts manager and expected a fight. I explained that they never asked me if it was for "top off" or a complete refill of the entire system. He pulls up the TSB and admits they goofed up. He is having the service manager call me to see what needs to be done to fix the problem. I can't wait to talk to the service manager and he pulls up the TSB and says, oops... He then gets me in for an appointment the next morning. The jeep was dropped off and they were very pleasant.

I picked up the Jeep and they said a few things. First, they say the loss of steering is from a bent steering stabilizer. Although I am skeptical of this, I do admit that my stabilizer is on its way out. It has been leaking fluid for a few months. I will have to get it off the jeep to see if it's really bent and causing the binding like they say. If it's not bent, I WILL keep it "just in case" I need it for round two.

They did flush the power steering system as they stated (new fluid is a different color than the bright red ATF+4). I plan on getting a new stabilizer on ASAP. These freaks tried to charge me $185 to put on a new "Mopar" stabilizer hehehehehe. I kindly had to say, I told them "No, thanks for asking though."

They pretty much still admitted the blame just by flushing the system and filling with the correct fluid. The desk guy tried to talk gibberish and say that newer TSB supersedes this one. Basically, he tried to re-direct the problem/blame.

If this does not fix the problem, I will be back. It won’t look good when I tell them the whole story again and I pull out a receipt that shows they did all this for free on a Jeep with 90K...

Through some other forums, I have spoken with some other folks that have had the same problems. One guy said that a stealership did the same thing to his Jeep and tried to flush and fill with the correct stuff. After some time passed, all his seals failed and the entire power steering system had to be replaced ($2000).

Has anyone here had first hand knowledge with this problem. I am looking for more documentation that the two fluids being mixed can contaminate the system and lead to an inevitable system failure. Thanks for any help with this matter.

#@$%! I changed the fluid in my 03 GC to +4 a few months ago. Im gonna have to change it asap. I'll do it tommorow !!

Quote:

Wasn't the special f;uid needed because the power steering pump was also running the cooling fan?

Not sure. Mine does not have the fan that runs off the power steering. I have an electric fan and a viscous fan. I thing the 03 & 04's had the fan that ran off the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back