No more ATF+3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 95 Neon and wanted to do a filter and fluid change.Nobody around here carries ATF+3, just ATF+4. I thought I read that ATF+4 is not compatible with the older seals in trannys that used ATF+3? The brands I've found are Valvoline($$$) Mopar($$) Supertech($) Which would be the best if I have to use ATF+4?
dunno.gif

I used it in my old Dakota that spec'ed ATF+3 without any problems whatsoever. In fact, I think it worked a little better with it than the older spec fluid. My two cents'...

John.

Quote:

I just bought a 95 Neon and wanted to do a filter and fluid change.Nobody around here carries ATF+3, just ATF+4. I thought I read that ATF+4 is not compatible with the older seals in trannys that used ATF+3? The brands I've found are Valvoline($$$) Mopar($$) Supertech($) Which would be the best if I have to use ATF+4?
dunno.gif

Save your money and buy Supertech, the awesome thing about ATF+4 spec is that is has to be EXACTLY how chrysler designed it. All makers that are licensed for its production have to all use the same base oil and adds. So the bottle of ST brand +4 is the same stuff verbatim thats in the Mopar offical and valvoline bottles! YAY!
laugh.gif

I have read that report about the seal problems but I don't think it will present much of a problem for trannies currently running +3.

I personally am about to come face to face with this and test it since my current A413 tranny is leaking and I have to top up the +3, well I am down to my last 3 bottles of it. So I will have to buy the +4 to top it up from now on. When I complete my rebuild of the replacment tranny I will have them just use the +4 from day 1.

Chrysler service bulletin # 21-010-06 recommends ATF+4 for your neon. just so you know, i did a fluid and filter change on my '97 neon, using the +4 and now it leaks alittle (no, it's not from the pan). maybe a coincidence. Also, i've seen mopar branded fluid at walmart, forgot the price.

frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back