which is better water remover/gasline antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'99 Subaru Forester; 2.5 N/A Boxer; auto tranny; @ 30K miles

distance from work: 2-3 miles...ultrashort trips; usually top-off gas once every 2 or 3 weeks depending on amount of driving

which of these type products works best as a water remover/gasline antifreeze?

1) methanol-based water remover (often contraindicated in domestic autos...not sure about imports)

2) isopropanol-based water remover (costs more than methanol-based stuff, but better for domestic auto gasline seals)

3) gas treatment such as STP or Super-Tech brand (claim to work good as a gasline antifreeze during colder months)

thank you

Iso alcohol, as in Iso-Heet. Methanol can be harsh on your system, I would avoid them if possible but they ARE cheaper to buy than Iso products.

As my walmart the Heet(methanol based) is .97 a bottle where as Iso Heet(iso alcohol based) is 1.28.

I would stay away from methanol based gas dryer for it is known to corrode/melt some elastomeric fuel line interior linings.

Use ethanol whenever possible.

Here up in the great north, most of our winter gas already comes with certain degree of ethanol added in the gas to fight gasline freezing. Moreover, with pressurised fuel injection systems, fundamentally, there is no need for gas line antifreeze.

Yes, our Mohawk/Husky gas here comes with max. 10% ethanol(Alberta grain) in the gas already.

Isopropanol it is then since I'm not sure what brand gas gets the ethanol mix for winter; thank you for the replies

Top-tier gas must have from 8 to 10% ethanol. From the website these are the Top tier retailers.

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company