New Havoline with "Deposit Shield" for $ 2.69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably because he races to stop lights like everyone else on the roads..................except me. Currently have 60,000 miles on the SECOND set of brakes put on a 1994 vehicle *rotors are original). About 40% pad life is left on the fronts.

People look at me like I'm the #@$%! when I gradually slow from well before a stoplight.

I work with a lady that drives a 2500 Suburban...........her husband was saying at a party she goes through pads/rotors every 20,000 miles
shocked.gif
Thought the divorce papers were gonna be signed right then and there
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I wanna see pics of the OUTSIDE, my man!

And I'd like to see a compilation of the OPERATING costs of the "typical" 250,000 mile Audi. Yesterday's WSJ had a question from a guy who couldn't understand why his Toureg needed 800 bucks worth of brake rotors every 40k miles....
frown.gif

WSJ, lol. Quoting a guy who "couldn't understand"? Rich.

Didn't you read my whole post? Most "repairs" are elective upgrades. Other than that stuff like shocks, my 87 cost nearly nothing over the 230k miles. Seems like many people have misconceptions about costs of Euro car repairs and maintenance....but they feel compelled to repeat their stories of "a friend" who paid dealer prices for stuff they could not diagnose or DIY. $1000 brake jobs are a reality, if you go someplace that'll disassemble the calipers, clean and re-lube guide pins, etc. Owners of ~other~ brands are cars are satisfied with the $59 slap-pads-on brake job for their hunk-o-s. Better parts, cost more, last longer. The last thing I want is a cheap part that'll break again. As for operating costs, iirc, mine came to $.03c a mile. 90k for under $3000 in repairs for my 1999 V6 A4. Handling and performance is not equaled by the cars that you find in most showrooms, not to mention safety. Also, forgot to mention... that car had ZERO warranty repairs in 3yr/50k...Zero.(can't say that about my Acura!)

Avant04.jpg
tongue.gif

As far as the brake thing, my MiL went over 50k on her brakes and I re-did them with nearly-new cast-off parts people left at my shop when they got BB kits. Total cost was for the brake fluid.

Quote:

Quote:

I wanna see pics of the OUTSIDE, my man!

Thanks to it being made of PLASTIC as you put it, these cars still look great, with no rust!
smile.gif

Best performance car on the planet, the Chevrolet Corvette is!
cheers.gif
Working Man's supercar. Heck, the new ZO6 is flat out a world beating supercar. Maybe in the top 5 best performing true mass production automobiles ever produced, especially when R compounds are thrown on like many of it's competition (as Gene pointed out).

Nothing wrong with the Audi. They are great cars.

A 911 is a great car... A Audi A4 1.8T is also a great car.

However a C6 Corvette and a Subaru WRX 2.5 are also great cars.

I agree, I don't hate Audis at all, in fact there are a lot of nice Audis I'd love to have. I just happen to love the Corvette a lot more though.
smile.gif

I like Audis as well; certain owners of said car...

As a matter of fact, it is a blizzard outside my window right now, cars stuck left and right on my hill. My neighbor with an older A8 sat and waited on the incline with 8 or so inches of snow, finally had enough, and floored it past the stuck cars like it was nothin! Pretty impressive.

In Colorado, there should be no shortage of Audis. When I was there years ago, not a single BMW or MB to be had. I guess the bigger point is failed to make is that ~generally~ Audis have a set capabilities that are broad rather then cars that serve more specific purposes. There was a statment made "you can drive a 'Vette everyday", but that might not be the case with 5-10 inches of snow on the ground. Many guys here, myself definately included, are quite practical and a single car that can do many things well is a virtue unto itself, a fully-functional automobile. One of the singly best examples of this is an Audi allroad. S4 engine with a wagon body, adjustable suspension height....high as a Mercedes or BMW SUV or dropped below regular ride for highway. Skid plates and matte bumpers. Normal maintenance and repairs yields a car w/ unique abilities.

allroad.jpg

009ajs.jpg

btw- Drew, you seem fixated on the content of my posts. There are medicines that can help.

True, I cannot drive my Corvette in 5-10 inches of snow, but then again we rarely get that much snow here in Toronto anyhow. We haven't even gotten any snow at all yet this winter, and last winter I think we got two storms of around 4 inches, then a handful of 1-2 inch snowfalls, but that's about it.

So for me, in my climate, I'm ok. If I lived in a heavy snow area, I definitely would not drive it year round. And I would definitely consider an Audi for winter driving. My dad had a 91 Audi Quattro 90 and that thing would get through just about any amount of snowfall with no problem.

I must admit, the neighbors A8 went up my hill better than some of the SUVs I've seen. We're getting HAMMERED right now with a blizzard.

You can slam me Auto Union for my Toyota Corolla: I AM STRANDED; would likely get stuck going down my hill
laugh.gif

What happens w/fwd cars going up a hill is the weight transfers to the rear. quattro torsen center diff can go like 70%f/r. That's the difference from AWD to 4WD, not everyone knows about the center diff. W/4wd, you cannot leave it engaged above a few mph. Taking a turn with 4wd engaged will produce tire scrub, especially in wet/snow the scrub literally scrubs away the traction while AWD balances available traction L < > R and F /\ R \/. Earlier versions had fully locking center and rears that you had to disengage appropriately. That system was killer. On my much-maligned (here) Quantum Wagon I could climb our sledding hill in 1ft of snow...up to the bumper. (w/Artic Alphins!) That same car with 50 series Dunlop SP5000s had 2 cars crash trying to catch it in the wet. My wife was tailgated at high speed by some Camaro/Cutlass thing which tried to pass and spun into a tele pole. I had an /\$$-rider Mustang follow me closely into a off-ramp where I did a no-brake sweeper turn...he smacked into the wall at about 30. So, I am biased when it comes to the more abstract qualities of a car than it's 1/4mi opr 0-60. Patman has been exceedingly civil in allowing me to fully explain myself. When I hear the off-handed comments, I just like to add my ~experience~ to some of the comments. fwiw, I did not bring it up, buy belive there are meritous points needed to be made. Obviously, what people like in a car varies. What I like is a car whose qualities are varied. Maintenance-wise, it is very different for me than it is for a 1st-time owner. I've recovered cars from back yards with a paperclip jumper of a $10 relay. Admittedly, finding a good mechanic for these cars is different in USA than Europe and that REALLY may be the difference in people's ownership experience.

So, Havoline Hi-Mi 10w-40 going into MiL's A6 this summer. Yay.

AJ60.jpg

Last edited:
fwiw, other makers AWD are not full mechanical with Torsen, rather viscous couplings (Subaru), electronic Haldex clutchpacks (Mercedes) or set torque split 40%f/60%r (BMW).

From speedarena.com

Speed WC TC News
Herr Takes Second-Straight SPEED Touring Car Win at Wet Mosport
By Souce: SCCA Pro Racing

http://www.speedarena.com/news/publish/touring_cars/printer_7146.shtml

Chip Herr, of Lititz, Pa., battled damp conditions, a slew of Acuras and a Mazda to wheel his Audi A4 to a second-consecutive SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge Touring Car win today at Mosport International Raceway, part of the Mobil 1 Presents Labour Day Grand Prix Weekend. Brandon Davis, of Denver, Colo., and Pierre Kleinubing, of Coconut Creek, Fla., completed the podium.

Herr started from the pole on the damp track, but relinquished the lead twice over the course of the 25-lap, 61.475-mile event that was limited to 50 minutes in duration. In the end, he took his third-career win by 6.491 seconds, averaging 72.074 mph.

Driving the No. 17 Agincourt Autohaus/STaSIS Audi A4, Herr relinquished the lead to the No. 73 Tri-Point Motorsports/Mazdaspeed Mazda 6 of Randy Pobst at the start, done single-file, similar to a re-start, after a delay to retrieve a broken down car on the formation lap aborted the traditional standing start. Herr re-took the point from Pobst on the third lap, only to come under attack by a slew of Acuras.

On a lap-13 restart, Davis got the jump on the field from fourth to take the lead in his No. 20 Acura Certified Pre-Owned/RealTime Racing Acura TSX. From there, he held off a furious attack from teammate Kleinubing, in the No. 42 entry, until Kleinubing succumbed to pressure from Herr on lap 19. Two laps later, Herr was past Davis for the lead, and clicked off a succession of fastest race laps to speed away to the win.

“On the restart my car just completely shut down,” Herr said of the restart when Davis and Kleinubing passed for the lead. “I was on the throttle. It would have been a nice drag race for us, but my car just cut out and I saw a lot of cars come to the inside of me. I knew it was a long race so I had to just hang back there and hope that the problem would fix itself.”

After watching Michael Galati use all-wheel-drive in rainy conditions to lap all but second place in the SPEED GT race, Herr was confident of his chances in Sunday’s damp conditions.

“The weather was definitely a factor for the STaSIS Audi,” said Herr, who also won at Mid-Ohio in May and at Road America two weeks ago. “The car handles really well in the dry, but when it comes to wet weather…I really thought we had a huge advantage over the Acuras. But today, I’m really impressed how well these guys drove and how well their cars handled, because the only advantage I saw was coming out of Turn Five, which is a really slow turn, so it’s just about traction. Everywhere else it was pretty heads-up with them.

“It was a good run for us today. Agincourt Autohaus was a big help coming on board this week in Canada. We didn’t expect two wins in-a-row, nobody expects wins in SPEED World Challenge, but we’ll take ’em when we can get ’em.”

Davis, who started from the pole and led at Mosport in 2005, hoped to score the second win of his career on Sunday, but it was not to be. He was proud of the Acura’s performance in the wet, though, against the all-wheel-drive Audi.

“On the exit of ten there’s a concrete patch, and you can’t do this during the race, because you’d be going too slow and it’d take too long, but on the restart, I went all the way to the outside and then cut back across and pulled out to the asphalt on the inside and got a great launch,” Davis said of his move to the lead. “Going into Turn One, I was next to Pierre [Kleinubing] and I had the outside and I carried in a little more speed.

“I didn’t know how long Chip [Herr] was going to stay back there with the Audi. The all-wheel drive is definitely a frightening sight to see in my mirrors. Obviously, the front-wheel drive cars, our cars, are absolutely amazing. So I have RealTime Acura to thank for that.”

Kleinubing, who had won two of the previous three SPEED Touring Car rain races, also viewed the day as a success in conditions that were not as favorable to his mount as the Audi. He was in contention for the win early and scored valuable points in both the Drivers and Manufacturers’ Championships.

“The whole time, I was worrying about [main Championship rival] Randy [Pobst], so I knew what I had to do was finish ahead of him,” Kleinubing said. “Once I got by him I pulled away. I had things under control. I was hoping to go for longer with Chip [Herr], but I could never capitalize on it. It seemed like the longer the run, the better we got to a certain point. Toward the end though, it sort of went away and it went [Herr’s] way.

“It’s unbelievable what we can do with a front-wheel drive car against the Audis. It didn’t seem to be any worse than the Audi other than coming out of Turn Five, so my hat’s off to Acura today, an unbelievable car.”

Peter Cunningham, of Grafton, Wis., was the third RealTime Acura TSX in a row, finishing fourth, followed by Eric Curran, of E. Hampton, Mass., in one of the team’s Acura RSXs.

Christian Miller, of Newark, Calif., had a career-best finish of sixth in his No. 25 034 Motorsport Volkswagen Jetta, earning Piloti Rookie of the Race honors.

Pobst (Mazda 6), Robb Holland (Dodge SRT4), Jeff Courtney (Audi A4) and Jeff Altenburg (Mazda 6) completed the top 10.

Brian Smith, of Simpsonville, S.C., advanced from 21st on the grid to finish 11th in his No. 13 Woodhouse Auto Family/Kicker Dodge SRT4 to take home the Sunoco Hard Charger award. Jeff Nowicki, of Birmingham, Mich., advanced six positions on the first lap in his Ford Focus to win the B&M Shifters Holeshot Award.

Kleinubing extended his season points lead to 24 over Pobst (238 to 214) with just two races remaining. Defending Champion Cunningham is third, with 184, followed closely by Herr, at 183. Davis completes the top five, with 173.

Acura pushed its Manufacturers’ Championship Presented by RACER Magazine lead to 14 points over Mazda 59 to 45. A second-place finish at the penultimate Round at Road Atlanta Sept. 29 can clinch the title. Audi has made inroads on the Championship the last two races with two wins and sits third, with 31, followed by BMW (11) and Dodge (five).

Today’s race will be broadcast on SPEED Channel Sunday, Sept. 10 at 3 p.m. (EDT).

For additional information, please visit www.world-challenge.com.

Results from Sunday’s 25-lap, 61.475-mile SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge Touring Car Championship Round Eight race, part of the Mobil 1 Presents Labour Day Grand Prix weekend at Mosport International Raceway, with finishing position, starting position in parentheses, driver, hometown, car, laps complete, distance behind winner and reason out (if any).

1. (1), Chip Herr, Lititz, Pa., Audi A4, 25.
2. (9), Brandon Davis, Denver, Colo., Acura TSX, 25, -6.491.
3. (6), Pierre Kleinubing, Coconut Creek, Fla., Acura TSX, 25, -7.233.
4. (3), Peter Cunningham, Grafton, Wis., Acura TSX, 25, -10.487.
5. (11), Eric Curran, East Hampton, Mass., Acura RSX, 25, -19.005.
6. (10), Christian Miller(R), Newark, Calif., Volkswagen Jetta, 25, -21.456.
7. (4), Randy Pobst, Gainesville, Ga., Mazda 6, 25, -21.973.

Last edited:
Quote:

fwiw, other makers AWD are not full mechanical with Torsen, rather viscous couplings (Subaru),

Not true for all Subaru's. Here's some info on the AWD system in the STi:

Quote:

From its launch, the WRX STI has been equipped with one of the most advanced and most performance-directed All-Wheel Drive systems on the market, regardless of vehicle segment. The Driver Control Center Differential (DCCD) Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system uses a planetary-type center differential to provide a 41:59 torque split, with automatic and manual differential modes.

Center differential lock-up is controlled by both a mechanical limited-slip type differential and an electronically controlled limited-slip differential. The mechanical limited-slip differential activates and operates initially in response to changes in engine torque, improving overall vehicle stability when accelerating or decelerating. In automatic mode, the electronic limited-slip differential controls the differential lock-up by evaluating the amount of lock-up in the mechanical limited-slip. The total amount of lock-up is based on the combination of both differentials. A steering sensor input improves torque transfer response by more accurately relaying the car’s cornering situation.

Set in automatic mode, the DCCD system can vary the torque distribution ratio as needed in response to vehicle acceleration, deceleration, steering angle, cornering force and wheel slippage.

In manual mode, DCCD allows the driver to select center differential lock-up to optimize All-Wheel Drive performance for varying driving conditions. The driver first selects manual mode with a console-mounted button and then turns a thumbwheel on the center console to select from among six levels of lock-up. Increasing the locking factor keeps more power at the front wheels (max. 50:50 torque split with 100 percent lock-up selected), which the driver might want in certain driving conditions or on particular road surfaces.

A helical-type limited-slip front differential and Torsen® limited-slip rear differential help to optimize power distribution side-to-side, helping to prevent the inside wheels from slipping during cornering.

Meanwhile...

Yesterday at AZ here, I saw new Deposit Shield Havoline at $2.29 a quart, and "old" Havoline also at $2.29 a quart. I think this is the old Havoline price (at this store) and they were just too lazy to change the signs, or didn't know that the new product was supposed to cost more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back