New Havoline with "Deposit Shield" for $ 2.69

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked one AAP and they had lots of Havoline at $1.98/qt. I went by a different store on my way home tonight, and they were sold out of all Havoline at $1.53. One guy told me they'd be getting the "new formula" in a week or two.

I'm thinking of stocking up at $1.98 before it's too late!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

I'm thinking of stocking up at $1.98 before it's too late!
thumbsup.gif

That's the normal price at WalMart when you buy it in 5qt jugs. I'd call around at other AAP's for the $1.55 price.

offtopic.gif

VW and Porsche are tied at the HIP. Remember the Bug designed by Porsche himself. THen you have the 356 with a chassis so similar you have to look twice.

Then there are the parts which have all 3 logos on them. Hmmmm ....

They now share chassis/platforms for all kinds of stuff across their lines.

Sure the true sports cars are reserved for Porsche and not much has been used in the Dub line for a long time but the heritage is very much their. Sure they came back together from being separate goals of the founder but the true heritage is one and the same except I guess Audi but VW and Porsche grew from the same guy. One was just used to gain the means to start the other.

Heck remember the 914 which is a Type IV engine (Vanagon motor).

The goals are very different. Porsche is about performance and Racing. VW moving people.

Porsche has no financial connection to VW Corporate aside from specific projects like the Toureq/Cayenne. Audi was owned by Mercedes-Benz.

Quote:

Porsche has no financial connection to VW Corporate aside from specific projects like the Toureq/Cayenne. Audi was owned by Mercedes-Benz.

smirk.gif
I'll repeat this part of it as to compensate for my poor memory that obviously is mistaken on the principles and further attempt to get the conceptual basis on why in the heck it was even said in the first place. I do, however, recommend an application to the nitpickers guide to the universe and other distractions from the thrust of the conversation.

Quote:

The basic operative part of the whole statement was that one day NA AUDI was junk and the next it doubled in price and became a fancy high tech invoative Euro Alloy.

As we were taught, hopefully WAY BACK ...cheap box is to EXPENSIVE BOX as old havoline is to NEW HAVOLINE ...old audi is to NEW AUDI

grin.gif

Quote:

Audi was owned by Mercedes-Benz.

I did not know that. How long ago? (When I was a kid, our neighbor across the street drove a butt-ugly little FWD two door sedan with a three-cylinder, 2-cycle motor - the Auto Union "DKW" [roughly the size of the rear engined VW beetle]. Their oldest son rolled it three times during a camping trip to Washington state. [walked away without a scratch]. Was the "Deek" a presursor to the eventual modern Audi?)

Quote:

I just did the same. Bought the last 12 quarts. Won't last me that long but it's better than nothing.

Yep, me too, this morning. Two jugs. Considering the amount of driving I do and the fact that I use 1 qt. with bypass filter change, this should hold me for the next 20K mi. or so.

Last edited:
The ADV AUTO's in my neck of the woods have the 1 gallon jugs for $5.95($1.49 per qt). 5/30, 10/30 and 10/40 only. A very good buy for anyone looking for a good oil at an every day low price. The indivual qts are still $1.55 per qt. 5/20, 5/30, 10/30 and 10/40. Probably some other weights as well but I didn't pay attention after that.

Audi came from a conglomeration of DKW/Horscht/NSU/Auto-Union/Wanderer. I'll say it again for clarity, There is/was no corporate connection between Porsche and VW/Audi. Porsche owning stock does not mean there is control/connection on a corporate decision-making level.

"Audi turned from junk to expensive junk"

- You've really shored-up your position there! Obvious lack of knowledge/experience in this area mitigates your drool opinon.

I'll take credit for that being a misstatment of degree.

"Porsche has no financial connection to VW Corporate"

By qualifying it saying, "VW Corporate", I meant Porsche's financial connection was not sufficient do drive the "Corporate" decision-making process. It would take a majority share ownership to do that, a "hostile" takeover. That is a slim possibility in the future, but would probally be more of a "welcomed" take-over.

Sorry for the confusion- VW does not own Porsche and Porsche does not own VW. They do indeed collaborate.

Quote:

Audi came from a conglomeration of DKW/Horscht/NSU/Auto-Union/Wanderer. I'll say it again for clarity, There is/was no corporate connection between Porsche and VW/Audi. Porsche owning stock does not mean there is control/connection on a corporate decision-making level.

"Audi turned from junk to expensive junk"

- You've really shored-up your position there! Obvious lack of knowledge/experience in this area mitigates your drool opinon.

Well, I'll surely admit that the Audi line has produced some fine performance vehicles for some time now. Now I still have the impression that you're very young and have never even seen a 100LS ..nor a 5000 except in the junkyard or in pictures. I could surely be wrong about that (your age) ...but the fact that you don't have the knowledge that in one mere evolution the price of the Audi offerings in NA virtualy doubled in price with very minor tweeking ..gives me that impression. I believe that the Audi 5000 was on the vanguard of that evolution.

..but ...let us not degrade ourselves into depicting graphic images of my salavary emissions. That's just rude ..regardless of how personally insulted one can get at the name of a car being defiled ..and the interpretation that it's a crime.
dunno.gif

You can, if it will make you feel better, insult my minivan. It's tough enough to take it ..as am I
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Auto-Union said: "Porsche owning stock does not mean there is control/connection on a corporate decision-making level. "

I believe that you are still mistaken. Porsche has two seats on the VW Board of Directors and is seeking a third. First you said there is no connection, then attempted to clarify your remarks by saying that you mean no connection at the decision making level. In fact there is a strong connection and strong influence on decision making. Have a look at this recent news article:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9067-2489812,00.html

... where you will find these quotes and more:

"Wendelin Wiedeking, Porsche's chief executive, told a press conference in Germany that he would not rule out heading VW's supervisory board next year."

"VW chairman Ferdinand Piech, whose family owns Porsche... "

The two companies are in fact very tightly tied together both by ownership stakes and top management. 50% of Porsche's stock is owned by the Porsche and Piech familys. It isn't clear how much of that Ferdinand Piech ownes personally. You can read about Porsche's ownership structure here:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/investorrelations/shareholderstructure/

With that said, I'm done with this thread. It has nothing to do with motor oil and isn't even a topic I care about very much. This is simply a case where I saw a post which seems to have gotten the facts wrong, so I chose to respond with facts and documentation. I don't have a problem with VW and Porsche being tightly coupled today just as they were in their infancy. In fact, I can't imagine why anyone would want to argue the point ???? After all, the marriage gave us the 356, 914, 924, the Toureg/Cayenne and more.

Cheerio!

I was at Sam's Club today. They had some of the old Havoline 5W30 for $21.xx for case of 12. The new Deposit Shield Havoline 10W30 was $25.xx for case of 12. There was no old 10W30, nor new 5W30. This leads me to believe that, once the old stock is gone, the new stock will be a higher price across the board, 5W30, 10W30, etc.

An expert Porsche+Audi corporate structure, I am not. On the cars, I may well be. Can we agree that Porsche and VW are not the same company? To whatever degree they are "connected" they simply are not the "same" company. Trying to show how ~closely~ related they are, really just emphasizes the fact they are indeed seperate. However you want to slice it, that's just how it is. If I failed to explain their complicated and ever-changing relationship in a scentence or two, I apologize.
Gary, I am far from young. My experience with Porsches and VWs began when I started tweaking my Dad's cars at the age of 14. Since then I have owned 15 Audis personally and 5-6 Volkswagens. Right now I maintain 4 or more of the gruppe. Mom's 1996 Passat, never needed more than a odo display in 11 years. Rides as solid as a cinderblock. I maintain on a regular basis my old 1987 Coupe GT w/ 230k. That car is on it's original TB/WP/Rad/Clutch. Paint and interior are excellent. It got struts, exhaust and a starter. Little stuff like hood release, etc. Is that car "expensive junk?" At $14k new, it was the same price as Mom's 1987 Accord. It's sedan version, the 4000S is simply one of the best cars ever made. Few with valid experience would disagree. I also maintain my MiL's 1995 A6, which is the pinicale of glitchyness, but never dissapoints in the areas of performance, comfort and overall driver satisfaction. I also maintain my Cousin's 1992 Cabrio. It needs a Hall Sender and shocks at 10 years and 160k. Can we agree on a 1992 vehicle that is as durable? There are some other makes of cars from 1991-92 that are quite comical, if you think about it. So, that runs the gambit, excepting the 5000 that you loathe, I have a set of opinions on that car too, but I can simplify it by saying if you see any f/s 5000 wagons in quattro, let me know.
So, can we finalize by saying VW and Audi are the same company, Porsche is not. I'll assert they are not the worst cars on the planet either.

This thread is worthless without pics.

"like Audi did when Porsche bought them"

All I said was no, that never happened. All I did was make the correction. Had wgtoys seen your post first, he should have done the same rather than seeking to undo my point. I don't expect Gary to be an expert on the subject and did not realize I had to be an expert on it to make the commonly-known assertion.
A comment on the quality of the product followed, which was equally unfounded. That's it, since everyone wants to set the record strait.

My car:
Sil87.jpg

Not my car:
004__scaled_600.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back