New Havoline with "Deposit Shield" for $ 2.69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havoline Deposit Shield= 2.69qt.
Schaeffer 7000 Blend = 3.25qt.
difference = 0.56qt.

I think the new Havoline will be at a disadvantage to other oils that are marketed as blends. The plain old black bottle was hard to beat for the price.
tombstone.gif

Quote:

They probably are. But if you can take it to the next level for only 50 cents more or so, lets do it. I'll bet it is probably a Grp2+, Grp3 blend. Should be good oil.

I ran the term "Havoline Deposit Shield" through Google, and the first result gave this info. Kind of a strange place for this info to appear.

http://www.chick-fil-abowl.com/dnn/Volun...74/Default.aspx

Quote: "The new Havoline with Deposit Shield is formulated with Group II Base Oil technology and a superior detergent package that will shield a car’s engine against the enemy - carbon deposits – with its protective coating."

Hopefully when the 'new' Havoline bottle comes out , they closeout the bottles with the old design.

I was lucky to get 73 quarts of Havoline Synthetic and 20 quarts of Havoline HM when AAP got rid of both oils.

Quote:

"The new Havoline with Deposit Shield is formulated with Group II Base Oil technology and a superior detergent package that will shield a car’s engine against the enemy - carbon deposits – with its protective coating."

Protective coating? Pull-LEEZE...
laugh.gif

They're kidding, right? Reminds me of Hellman's Mayonaise with it's New! Improved! on the label.

Think I'm gonna go grab a couple of cases of the old before it's all gone IN SPITE of my monster stash of PP. Just on principle.. Give a case to each of the locals for Xmas, hehe

It's probally as good as Mobil 1 EP. (not joking)
Is this Havoline's shot at HT-06?
approved.gif

Last edited:
Well...u gotta give em credit for being as cheap as they were for so long while similar and even inferior competition was busy increasing profit margins... They're really just catching up with the pricing of GTX, Valvoline, etc...just not at my expense yet
grin.gif

I don't currently use Havoline but I think I too will go get a few qts. The old black bottle was one of the few that the product inside was better than the graphics and b.s. slogans on the outside.
Kinda feels like a faithful mixed breed dog is about to die. Nothing fancy about it's looks but always faithful to get the job done.
I'm not condemning the new oil before it gets here but it is obvious Havoline is going in a new direction that will consist of silly catch phrases that can be insulting if you know anything about oil.
nono.gif

Would'nt it be nice if you knew how much of the price increase went to actual product improvement and how much went to a fancy bottle plus the ad campain to sell it.
popcorn.gif

havoline was great around $1/qt. the price will almost tripled in five years. I'm still rolling in SL oil. My engines haven't blown up yet. LOL

Wow, this makes Amsoil's advertising look good. LOL. I still think Mobil 1's advertising is excellent. Nothing about "Sheilds and Space Age Molecules" found in their product descriptions.

I'm sure happy that I don't get mixed up with "deposit shield" , "anti sludge", "super syn" and all this other MARKETING stuff.
smirk.gif

If I can get 200-300k out of yesterdays engines using yesterdays oils, ANY SM is going to cover my needs.

I'll just have to be happy with my 49 cent a quart Chevron or my well under a buck a quart Pennzoil, Castrol, and QS oils in the stash...

I would not pay $2.69 for the "new" Havoline.
nono.gif

The old Havoline is very good oil.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Mobil Clean dino sales dropped drastically in 2005 and beyond when Mobil-Exxon tried "upgrading' the product" - then gave it an upgraded price.

Is Havoline going to be the 2007 version of 2005 Mobil Clean dino??... sure sounds like it.

Sounds like they are going after Castrol's target audience w/ their version of 'superior sludge protection'.....

Quote:

Back up the tractor trailer for the current stuff priced at $1.55 at Advance Auto.

Sounds like ChevronTexaco just hired a bunch of fresh out of college marketing grads.

I'm glad you said something. I really didn't need to make any more deposits to the oil vault (right next to the filter shrine) ..but seeing that Havoline is pulling a "New Coke" marketing ploy (sorta like Audi did when Porsche bought them - they just doubled the price) I decided to almost clean my local AA out of their current stock of 5w-20 (not sold @ WM in that weight).

Now since we know that Havoline wasn't broken ..they didn't need to fix it ..this indeed must be simple marketing to produce more yield from their current market share.

It's no longer a sleeper
frown.gif

There was a merger back in the 70's. Just look when Audi turned from junk to expensive junk ..that's when it happened. I think that not long after ..it was found that the entire enterprise (IIRC AUDI/VW/Porsche) made dog dirt in NA for the entire year. You may not have been born yet (well, maybe you weren't). It may have just been for marketing. The basic operative part of the whole statement was that one day NA AUDI was junk and the next it doubled in price and became a fancy high tech invoative Euro Alloy.

Now as my memory is exploring the way I understood it ...perhaps it was more correctly stated that "A Porsche" took over the company. Wasn't one of the management (at the time of the price doubling) a "Porsche"??

More or less, VW bought Audi from Mercedes a LONG time ago and VW collaborated with Porsche on several products and dealer distribution. Porsche+Audi is just marketing, there is no corporate ownership connection. Porsche is 100% independant.

Quote:

"Havoline with Deposit Shield simply helps prevent deposits from building up in the first place; as if your shoe had a nonstick coating."

Aren't nonstick coatings usually made out of... Teflon?
coffee.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back