Honda antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

mez

Any reason why i should not use G05 in my 2006 Honda. I was told that Zerex G05 antifreeze should not be use in Honda's or Toyota's. Zerex recommends using their dex-cool type.

John
ooo.gif

2006 model and you're changing already? I'd use Peak Global Lifetime, it's what I have running now. Or factory but that stuff is expensive.

I would just stick with the Honda Type 2 Long-Life coolant. I don't think it's that expensive, and you know Honda will stand behind the product if anything were to happen. My '04 Accord has 40k miles on it and I just had the coolant drained and filled. I plan on doing this every 3 years/45k miles. Sure the stuff can last longer but this is cheap insurance. This is easy to do on your own but I had the dealership do it for $50.

Is Honda type II available in non 50/50 mix form? I kind of like the 50/50 because I can assume that the water chemistry was correct for the coolant from the get-go... That said, I like non-diluted because I can likely get it and a few gallons of distilled (or even DI water) for much less per gallon than the mixed stuff...

JMH

Type 2 is only available in 50/50 mix. It irritates me. Not because of the cost, but because I can't do a water flush and then get the proper concentration afterward since there will still be water in the system.

I also wish that Honda anti-freeze were (still???) available in concentrated form. I think one of the main reasons they went 50/50 is because the water source- and hence purity- can be verified.

Why are you changing coolant already? The factory fill is rated for the first 120,000 miles or 10 years, even under sever service conditions.

Sure, and you believe in the tooth fairy too.

It just doesn't cost that much to do a coolant change. Why not do it from time to time to be sure instead of hoping that the automaker was over optimistic.

There really isn't any such thing as "lifetime" coolant, or trans fluid, or power steering fluid. A 10 year change is practically "lifetime"

Perhaps that's a way to keep repair shops busy, by providing plenty of work when the fluid fail from extending their use too long.

Mez..

It's just Honda's philosophy on the subject; they use NO silicate. G-05 is a low-silicate hybrid OAT coolant. Honda's protection is via phosphate. Whould it HURT to run G-05? Nope. Is it advisable given it's a 2006 in the first month of 2007? No again. I wouldn't run a 10 year/120K interval either, but the factory fill is good for three years/60 easy. I think Dave's right, you're rushing it.

My cousin (up in Gloucester, Massachusetts where it gets a little chilly) has a 97 Accord, she had the coolant replaced for the second time this past fall, with 70K on the car. Good old Honda Blue coolant serviced at the Stealer. The radiator and puke-tank are like new inside. Unless you've put 60K on the car this first year, I'd leave it be until three years/60 myself..

My
twocents.gif

Quote:

Any reason why i should not use G05 in my 2006 Honda. I was told that Zerex G05 antifreeze should not be use in Honda's or Toyota's. Zerex recommends using their dex-cool type.

John
ooo.gif

Hey Mez! This was originally posted by Paulo in another thread and tells the tale:
honda_coolant.jpg

Quote:

I don't think you have to believe in the tooth fairy to question a coolant change interval less than one tenth of the manufacturer's recommendation. If you owned a Honda, would you change the oil at 1,000 miles (Honda says you can go 10,000)?

Decisions like this a matter of personal preference, and there is rarely any good available data to support the decision. You just need to decide how you want to spend your time and money, and how much perfectly good coolant you want to flush down the drain. For me, my preference is usually to cut the OEM recommedations on fluid changes in about half. I have no proof that its a good strategy, but for me its a balance that feels OK.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think you have to believe in the tooth fairy to question a coolant change interval less than one tenth of the manufacturer's recommendation. If you owned a Honda, would you change the oil at 1,000 miles (Honda says you can go 10,000)?

Decisions like this a matter of personal preference, and there is rarely any good available data to support the decision. You just need to decide how you want to spend your time and money, and how much perfectly good coolant you want to flush down the drain. For me, my preference is usually to cut the OEM recommedations on fluid changes in about half. I have no proof that its a good strategy, but for me its a balance that feels OK.

approved.gif

On a 2006 Honda Accord with factory fill , ,under the worst possible conditions , short of contaminating your system 7.5YR/100K.

You want to do something to feel good , 5YR/60K

GA 05 on this one , nope , never . HONDA T2 and that engine/radiator are extremely well matched . Honda T2 is also well made .

Want to do something really useful to help your cooling ?
Correctly clean your radiator's exterior twice a year , with one being done after spring has arrived .

If you just really , really , gotta do something to your cooling system , wait until you are out of your warranty , comeback here , see what Gary Allen and others like him are doing here with cooling system filtration , and then do something .

Something you could do now for your cooling system and this no joke , nor meant with any disrespect , is get a seriously accurate tire gauge , learn how to use it correctly , and then use it .

If you want something to " overmaintain " of great benefit , do your atf ( if so equiped ) and start early ( 4 - 5K ).
Stay with Honda's ATF - Z1 during warranty .

I'm saying all this with MA. , your wallet , and your 06 Accord in mind.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I just went to the Honda dealer and got some engine coolant and it came in the black concentrated jug...should I ask if they have the premix stuff?

They sold you the wrong coolant. The coolant that you are looking for comes in a silver (?) jug that says "TYPE II" and is in premixed form only.

Well I guess its ok that I got this non mix formula so I can mix it 60/40...gets mighty cold here in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back