Dealer put BG MOA in with Syntec 5w30 -- is it ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baj

I have a 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i with 7500 miles that got its second oil change today. Apparently when I said to the dealer "My car has 7500 miles. I want an oil change with Syntec 5w30 oil, and a tire rotation," what he heard was "I want you to do everything you can think of and add BG MOA to the oil." Because they never gave me an estimate, the service manager gave me a complete refund for the $192 I was charged, but still I have an oil additive in my engine that I wouldn't have wanted even for free.

Is this BG MOA stuff something I should be concerned about, or can I be confident that it is not going to cause any problems? I was planning to try to go 7500 miles on this oil, with a UOA at some point. Will the UOA results be meaningful with the additive in there?

Thanks for any advice.

I don't know what BG MOA is. But, if they've been putting it in Subaru engines with no problems, and the DEALER did it, it will probably be just fine. These are tough engines, and don't need any additives, so you are right not to want anything added. If you really are worried, drain it and refill. I wouldn't worry about changing the filter. The UOA will be boring, just like usual for a Subaru, unless it is catching a head gasket leak (which you could probably catch by watching the coolant level very closely...not likely to happen on this new 2.5.

BG MOA is a widely used, heavily pushed by shops anti oxidant oil additive. No harm what so ever IMO. I have used many BG products including their 44K fuel system cleaner and Quick Clean engine flush. It's a legitimate company, but shop owners and managers really rely on their stuff for, well, boat payments and fishing trips
laugh.gif

MOA

But it don't look or smell anything like LC.

MOA is a thin carrier oil that is loaded with additives. It won't hurt a thing. Leave it in there. But as stated above, you do not need it.

BG is one of the better snake oil companies. One of the better, but snake oil none-the-less.

I wouldn't worry about it. I also would prefer it wasn't there, but I wouldn't drain it out either.

Snake oils are usually a product that we as customers try not to purchace with our own money because they do little or nothing but usually don't hurt anything . But if someone gave me some for free, I would use it. Typically they are a waste of money for us as costomers but since you were reimbursed for the servece done, better yet!

BG products are seen a lot in fleet service. They are an ISO9001 facility and their products have a good reputation. Worry not. I'm surprised that MOA has not been on this board before. If you want to try something new, this would be a good place to start.

Johnny says it's loaded with additives. I would love to see a VOA of it. Might be a fine product for older cars that need higher zddp than today's oils offer.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post277332

Quote:

Do you have UOA's of the engines you use the B&G solvents in ?

Strong is correct Patel. So strong that I see elevated soft metals indications consistantly from my customers who run the 44K.

My data on MOA is a bit dated but at the time it looked like a EP add instead of a engine oil add.

CTC labs

fe 2
cr 0
pb 0
cu 0
sn 0
al 1
ni 0
mn 0
si 14
b 2
na 824
mg 830
ca 5687
ba 4
p 1869
zn 2337
mo 0
ti 0
v 0
k 34

V100 11.13

solids %vol 0.1

TAN 19.94

TBN 28.12

patriot.gif

I would not call it mouse milk. With the TBN it would help to extend the OCI. I can't figure why so much sodium though. I prefer SLOB (CD2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost) with its 4800 ppm zinc and phosphorus. SLOB is a lot cheaper too at $1 to $2 a pint on clearance at Big Lots.

Quote:

BG products are seen a lot in fleet service. They are an ISO9001 facility and their products have a good reputation. Worry not. I'm surprised that MOA has not been on this board before. If you want to try something new, this would be a good place to start.

Just to make sure it is clear. ISO doesn't certify products. Being ISO 9001:2000 certified means that the company has a Quality Management System that is certified by an ISO registration body. It is the QMS that is certified, not the products they sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back