coaster brakes maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most bikes that have the coaster brakes (pedal backwards) don't have the handlebar brakes. I guess coaster brakes are kind of like the drum brakes equivalent for car.

Is there any kind of maintenance? It seems to be sealed so not sure how easy it is to take it apart. I have one bike that I've never serviced the coaster brake, needs more effort to slow down now. Thanks.

You can take them apart, clean them up, and re-grease everything. Use only a light film of grease on the contact surface of the shoe to the drum. It's not too difficult, so go for it if it's not working well. You usually don't need any new parts.

They can be taken apart, I've done it back when I had a bike with that type of brake. The brakes have a set of ridges that can smooth out and reduce braking performance gradually. If you ride in a great deal of dirt it would be possible that premature wear could occur but other than that they usually don't need any work unless there is a problem.

Thanks for the replies. Wasn't too much work to take apart. It did not look like too much wear, the bike is more than 10 years old. I used white lithium grease to relube it, only grease I had in the garage. Brakes feel more responsive and solid now. Pictures below.

Side view of brakes, looks kind of like drum brakes in a car.
brakesideview.jpg

Inside the wheel drum with the stuff removed.
wheeldrum.jpg

Brake parts assembly.
brakeparts.jpg

Brake shoes and the mechanism.
brakeshoes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back