Grease gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only grease my truck two times a year and there are only four points. So I need to buy a low cost, simple grease gun with an extension hose. What's the best deal? Thanks.

What's your price range (i.e. what is low cost TO YOU)? I just picked up a Lincoln 1134 for $40 shipped.

whatever brand you get, get a gun with a pistol grip. much easier to hold the hose onto the fitting. Those lever grips are a PIA when you're lying under a car or in your case, a truck.

I have the flex hose and actually hate it, as even though I cinch it down well on the zerk, it needs pressure to hold it there and get the grease to go in.

You can buy the flex hose seperately. I got my full size gun for only $10 or so. I'd skip the tiny cartridged ones.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I bought a NAPA mini grease gun which came with a small tube of lithium grease. I also bought an 18" hose. The total cost was about $17 and I thought the small one would be sufficient since there are only two grease fittings. It seems to work well and is easy to use after crawling under the truck.

I still use the tiny pistol-grip gun I bought 32 years ago. The only modification I needed to do was change the straight tip to a pivoting tip so I could grease the hard-to reach zerks on the modern 1970s models. I'm with eljefino... you still need to keep pressure on the zerk to keep the grease from squeezing out the sides.

Personal experience has shown that it's better to pay $5 for something that works, than $0.05 for something that doesn't. Moral of the story, get a good (not the best, but not the cheapest) piece of equipment, and save yourself the frustration of not having what you need when you need it.

Oh, the grease gun that I use for 6 points 3-4 times a year? Lincoln pistol grip, full size tube fits inside. Paid $30 for it, and it works every time - without me or anyone else bleeding...

approved.gif

Mac Tools sells a nice pistol grip grease gun. It has a "press to bleed" valve on top. Plus it has a lever on the bottom to hold the plunger where you want it. The plunger is a twist to push the piston type too. It is the easiest one to use of all my grease guns. It even has a knurled barrel to grip.

Everything about the design is excellent, including the internal piston.

Best one I have seen yet. I do a lot of greasing on our various aircraft and I have a large number of grease guns due to the many different greases required.

Chris

if i was ever to buy a grease gun again. I would buy a good pistol grip one because i hate having like some of u are saying hold the flex hose tightly on the grease fitting then have to use the long handle pump to pump the grease in. Where's my 3rd hand at? THE PISTOL GRIP would solve that problem and i would have no more troubles and i would just need two hands.

Our company (SKF) makes a long grease gun that can be pumped with one hand, leaving the other one free to hold the flex hose against the zerk. It also has a bleed valve at top.

I have the Walmart "Chinolube" or whatever they are selling now and it works well. I prefer the flex hose but might try a pistol grip style next time for the "I need a third hand" problem. But cheap, works and in a store I was already at.

Kestas - do you make a "thinner" connector (where the gun meets zerk) ? The connectors on both my lube guns appear to be the standard size and they are too big to get to the fittings on the spider gears in some u-joints.

Anyone else have this problem or a solution to it ?

Originally Posted By: Flipside
Personal experience has shown that it's better to pay $5 for something that works, than $0.05 for something that doesn't. Moral of the story, get a good (not the best, but not the cheapest) piece of equipment, and save yourself the frustration of not having what you need when you need it.

Oh, the grease gun that I use for 6 points 3-4 times a year? Lincoln pistol grip, full size tube fits inside. Paid $30 for it, and it works every time - without me or anyone else bleeding...

approved.gif

do you have the lincoln 1134?

I also use my grease gun only 2-4 tiimes a year. My problem is : the grease separates and an light oil leaks all over me when I am greasing the car. This makes an unpleasant job very nasty. What grease doesn't separate? Is it because I dont use the grease up in a short period of time. IOW it sits around and separates? I do keep it inside, so it is in a constant temp summer and winter.

One way I keep the oil from coming out of the grease gun is to relieve pressure on the grease while not in use. I lock the plunger rod at full compression when not in use. I found this helps keep the oil in the grease.

Originally Posted By: MonumentOiler
Kestas - do you make a "thinner" connector (where the gun meets zerk) ? The connectors on both my lube guns appear to be the standard size and they are too big to get to the fittings on the spider gears in some u-joints.

Anyone else have this problem or a solution to it ?

Some couplers are thinner than others, so just shop around and pick a thin coupler.

On trucks I can lube the u-joints with a standard coupler. On cars, with smaller u-joints, sometimes there is just not enough space to use a normal grease coupler. There are "push" type couplers that do not actually grab on to the zerk and have to be kept pushed up against the zerk. These are very slender and long and are sometimes needed for the U-joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back