Got a job at jiffy lube,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, it's been a while, No one probably knows or remembers me
laugh.gif
i lost my password and i haven't had the chance to post on here because there was some error sending me a new one, but today it worked. ANyway

I got a job at jiffy, and here is what we learned.

1) "ALL OIL including synthetics require a oci of 3k.Can you believe BMW has an OCI of 15k miles? What moron would buy a 50k dollar car, and change the oil every 15k? Guess who gets the money when the engines fail? The fact is oil is a detergent, oil gets dirty,any oil gets dirty after 3k miles, and it needs changine." Those are the words of the guy who taught orientation. We are told to preach this to all the customers, and they EAT it UP.

2) they try to sell synthetics on everyone, even with very high miles. i asked the manager if he was aware that a synthetic on a high mileage vehicle could cause leaks. He said he has never heard such a thing and that i was referring to a wives tale, even after i explained to him why. He then said 'I know your wrong because high mileage blends are a mix of synthetic" I then decided it was not worth having this discussion with a manager. told him he was right, and went away.

Oh Yea- CHECK This out! i get a 75% discount ON ALL OILS! INCLudiNG SYNTHETIC! Pennzoil platinum
grin.gif

patriot.gif

So their view is that people should use synthetics but they offer no advantages and should be changed at 3k miles. That is so logical...not!

Quote:

Hey all, it's been a while, No one probably knows or remembers me
laugh.gif
i lost my password and i haven't had the chance to post on here because there was some error sending me a new one, but today it worked. ANyway

I got a job at jiffy, and here is what we learned.

1) "ALL OIL including synthetics require a oci of 3k.Can you believe BMW has an OCI of 15k miles? What moron would buy a 50k dollar car, and change the oil every 15k? Guess who gets the money when the engines fail? The fact is oil is a detergent, oil gets dirty,any oil gets dirty after 3k miles, and it needs changine." Those are the words of the guy who taught orientation. We are told to preach this to all the customers, and they EAT it UP.

laugh.gif

Typical brainless, one-size-fits-all, USSA corporate American response.

Did you inform him of the reason that BMW is able to spec that OCI?

Here's question for you.

Does Jiffy lube put on new crush washers when they change the engine/tranny/diff lubes in Hondas/Acuras?

Quote:

i asked the manager if he was aware that a synthetic on a high mileage vehicle could cause leaks. He said he has never heard such a thing and that i was referring to a wives tale, even after i explained to him why. He then said 'I know your wrong because high mileage blends are a mix of synthetic"

I hate to say it, but he technically is right on that one. still doesn't make him less of a slimeball though.

Does your conscience bother you?

Sounds like the manager isn’t losing any sleep. Luckily he is sorta right on the synthetic oil and leaks. His blend comment is generally wrong though. Maybe you can watch how many people return with leaks  I didn’t know they pushed synthetic – they didn’t used to. Better margin, no doubt!

They are putting one in down the hill. Maybe I’ll apply. How much do they pay?

Of course the employees are instructed to tell the customers about the 'necessary' 3K OCI. The manager's job is to SELL, SELL, SELL products and services.

I've also heard of people who pay $55 for a synthetic service then find out in the small print they got a blend. Should have sprung for the ultimate goldplated full syn service.
smirk.gif
This could be how that manager thought it was okay b/c they blended some dino in.
laugh.gif

Roll with the doublespeak, you won't change these guys, don't let them change you.

Considering the repuation Jiffy Lube has garnered for themselves as of late, you're a brave man for taking a job there. I'm not sure I could handle working in a position that has become subject to so much public doubt. But..on the other hand, the doubters have probably elected not to patronize JL, so perhaps the customers you're serving know nothing of what Dateline uncovered. :) Congrats on some fantastic fringe benefits!

Quote:

Dont forget to make sure that drainplug is tight before the customer drives off.

And the oil filter too! My dad once lost an oil filter on his 88 BMW 325is, as the Mr.Lube techs put the wrong filter on and it was too loose and came off a few miles down the road.

His engine was never quite as smooth after that, even though he shut the engine off the moment he saw the oil pressure drop.

Quote:

Actualy a synthetic can cause a leak by removing build up on old seals.

naaah. a GIII or PAO base oil has no inherent cleaning properties not found in dino. they may have a stronger detergent package that will clean gunk away -- but high mileage dinos have a pumped up detergent package anyway (and some, like maxlife, have up to 20% PAO), so the very oils "meant" for those high mileage engines would "cause" the same leaks as a robust syn *might*. just simply not something to worry about with today's oils. if someone would rather stick with a weak dino and crud in his engine for fear of possible slight seal seepage then that's a personal choice.

Feel's like BITOG sent a spy into enemy territory!

Don't high mileage oils have a seal swelling add?

Does a JL tech have access to a database of what oil is currently spec'ed for what vehicle, including back-specs? Database kept up to date? And then is the correct spec'ed grade used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back