94 Corsica 2.2 117K piston slap...what oil to use???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica 2.2L 4cyl for a commuter car. It is great for running, good mpg 30+, etc. I acquired it at 107080 miles. It had Valvoline 5W-30 and valvoline oil filters up to 107000. I have used mostly Castrol High Mileage 5W-30 oil in it, with one change of Super Tech 5W-30, and one change of Mobil syn blend high mileage 10W-30 (yuck). They all leave this engine with the notorious GM piston slap. The best one for quieting is the Castrol HM. The head gasket was replaced around 90000. It uses 1/2qt to 2500, except on the Castrol HM. I am hoping to quiet the piston slap. I have thought about Super Tech synthetic 5W-30 or Valvoline Max Life 5W-30 or using something suggested from comments. I dislike Pennzoil and don't wish to spend a larger amount of money for an oil change. That is why Super Tech synthetic is appealing. It has piston slap at low rpm's and maybe a little lifter chatter at hot idle?? I am not certain. I did try the Rotella-T synthetic 5W-40, which didn't seem to help the noises, and gave for bad MPG. I suppose 10W-30 weight should be fine, if necessary, going into the summer months. Thanks for the comments! I appreciate the help!!

Oh, on a previous 2.5 Tech-4 grand am engine. It also had piston slap and the like. Using valvoline 10W-30, 10W-40 and Lucas oil stabilizer didn't do a thing. I installed Valvoline synthetic blend 5W-30 in it for the colder months. The noises went down and the oil pressures went up a good amount. A coincidence...I am not sure. Thanks!

I had one of these for my son, sounded like a diesel until it warmed up but it was solid as a rock as an engine. I gave up trying to eliminate the slap, did not seem to affect anyhing, engine went to 127,000 before my son rear ended someone. I used to go one year oil changes (9000-12,000 miles) with Amsoil 10W30 and the UOA were fine.

IMO I would not worry about the slap. The engine is the best part of this vehicle

I would try synthetic 10W40 or even at diesel rated oil (15W40). And yes, give the Auto-Rx a shot. I would have to say that this is the only product in the (dare I say) "Snake Oil" catagory that does what it is advertised to do!!

I also agree that piston slap, indicative in this engine, is nothing to worry about. Let the car warm-up for a couple minutes before you drive off and turn up the radio.

DSteven, please use the search feature of this forum and the phrase "piston slap" and you'll find a lot of discussion as to what types of oils people have used to minimize this condition.

--- Bror Jace

Oils loaded with moly are about the only thing that I know that you can do. You don't like Pennz, but they are moly loaded.

"I am not really into synthetics but was getting the impression they don't make synthetic 10w40. Who does?"

You mean REAL (not Group III) synthetics? Plenty. Red Line and Amsoil do, for starters.

There are also plenty of Group III pretend syntheics ... but I don't deem them worth mentioning.
tongue.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

Originally posted by Stooge:
I would try synthetic 10W40 ....

I am not really into synthetics but was getting the impression they don't make synthetic 10w40. Who does?

Castrol makes a nice synthetic 10W-40. It A3, B3 and looks very good.

Who makes the Group III synthetics? I think Castrol may be one?? I will be certain to stay away from them! And seriously...Pennzoil has a high amount of Moly?..how does this engine take to Pennzoil? It is a pushrod, without overhead cams, so would a 10W-30 be just fine as a thinner oil isn't needed for quickly getting to the top of the engine? Is Super Tech synthetic oil a Group III synthetic? What are Mobil-1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, etc? Thank you for the help. I do believe this engine is die hard. My father ran one in a 92 cavalier well over 200K, with 3 head gaskets, mobil and valvoline 5W30 conventional oil. It was using 1qt to 300-500 miles, but still went strong. The valvoline max life 10w-30 gave that engine new life, then it was traded off. it still runs to this day.

At any rate, it seems to be a strong engine! What is the general wear rate? What synthetics are only Group III synthetics? What is Mobil-1, Super Tech syn, Valvoline syn, Valvoline MaxLife syn, especially? And would Super Tech synthetic be better than any other conventional or high mileage oil in this engine? Thanks for all the comments!

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
You mean REAL (not Group III) synthetics? Plenty. Red Line and Amsoil do, for starters.

Oh yeah, Royal Purple makes a 10w40 (though it's flash point doesn't look so great). Valvoline I think only makes a 40 weight multi in 5w40.

quote:

There are also plenty of Group III pretend syntheics ... but I don't deem them worth mentioning.
tongue.gif
You know, maybe Group III should be called "semi-synthetic." I know the term has been applied to blends, but a blend is a blend.

There are lots of threads on the composition of various oils here, but to condense for you:

All of the ones you list are either Group III or a blend containing some ester and Group III, with the exception of Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. It isn't so much that Group III oils are inherently bad, it is more that they are overpriced next to Mobil 1 for the basestock that you get.

Castrol Syntec (With the exception of GC) is probably the more notorious case of a group III pretender...it is often priced above Mobil 1!

To answer your question about supertech syn v. high mileage oils...I would personally run the high mileage oils, they are more of a known quantity, and have very good additive packages.

Why don't you like Pennzoil?

Thank you for the great information. Yeah, I guess the Mobil-1 is the way to go...you know, if shopping at Wal-Mart or the local parts store for oil like I do. Mobil-1 has given great luck for me. The new Valvoline MaxLife synthetic is currently on our garage shelf right now. It was more than Mobil-1. I wonder if that is a glorified Group III?? We're giving it a try, but will post the analysis. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back