Best oil for EXTREME Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but I grew up in the 60's and my brain does not compute a 0W oil........I have to have a 5 in front of the W or I feel like I'm pouring water in the engine...

427! You ARE compassionate!
shocked.gif

I knew it!
laugh.gif

Quote:

I'm sorry but I grew up in the 60's and my brain does not compute a 0W oil........I have to have a 5 in front of the W or I feel like I'm pouring water in the engine...

smirk.gif

Quote:

Thanks. That is quite nice. I will be sure to ignore your posts in the future, you can ignore my posts as well.

He is right, you posts makes no sense whatsoever.

Just seemed like someone puked oil statistics onto a forum page.

You can't blame him for being frustrated reading that.

Quote:

Aw, come on, don't bruise the newbies up too much..

Coyne's not a troll after all, he's just trying to keep pace a little..

Well, he needs to thicken up the skin a bit and not overreact so much.

Quote:

I would not expect that someone who has been a member of this board for a year now would have that philosophy on 0WXX oils.
patriot.gif
Here's to the '60's -
color.gif

Quote:

Thanks. That is quite nice. I will be sure to ignore your posts in the future, you can ignore my posts as well.

Take it easy dcoyne78, I was just kidding around. It may help when reading my posts to imagine them as delivered by Lewis Black.
cool.gif

Quote:

What would be your pick for Extreme cold weather????

For me the choices would be...
1st. Mobil 1 0W/20 or 0W/30.
2nd. Any other good synthetic 0W/20, 0W/30, 5W/20.
I might leave GC out of the 0W/30's. It's kind of "38"ish.
twocents.gif

Hello everyone,
been awhile but i have submit my vote for
Esso XD3-0w30, Cheap, full synth and have had no problems in my 00 Ram 5.2, and a 01 Sebring in the dead of winter. Last winter -40 C daytime highs for a week and a half, no that number did not include a windchill factor. It was just plain rock solid cold, and to boot I dont have a block heater in the Ram. So my other vote goes to having a well maintained charging system and an up to snuff battery.

Just to note as of Dec 13, the Quaker State winter blend on for $3.67 a litre this week at Flat Tire. But for just a few cents more XD3-0w30 would be my choice. Best of luck this winter
smile.gif

I do not get the problem with the label if the product data sheet says pour point of -54C then why can not the bottle say "pours at temperatures as low as -54C" ??
bruce

Quote:

I do not get the problem with the label if the product data sheet says pour point of -54C then why can not the bottle say "pours at temperatures as low as -54C" ??
bruce

Because it's a wishy washy statement to say "as low as". Without a specific testing method one could use an alternative method to define when it "pours".

(ASTM D97 spells out the standardized procedure for determining an oil's pour point. Basically, after heating it to 45 degrees C the sample is slowly cooled and tilted sideways every time the temp drops three degrees Celsius (five degrees F). When the oil stops flowing it has reached the pour point.)

Further one bottle could "pour" at -51°C and next bottle at -42°C and the next bottle at -54°C, and it would still meet the above definition.

I would imagine if one was using strictly Group IV/V fluids for the majority of components you could be a lot more exact than that and list it as at least "typical values under ASTM D97" implying a more exact target.

I checked a few bottles of Mobil 1 at an auto parts store and this is what I found listed on the bottles:

Code:

oil weight/pour point on bottle/PDS pour point/PDS flashpoint

10w30 -47C -45C 224C

5w30 -47C -54C 230C

5w20 -47C -47C 228C

0w30 -47C -54C 228C

0w40 -54C -54C 236C

0w20 -54C NA NA

Also note that all the bottles claim the oils protect up to 205 C, not sure what this means, but it doesn't coincide with the flashpoint of the 5 types that have an online PDS. Also the Mobil website has a blurb saying the 0w20 pours at temps as low as
-47C and protects at temps as high as 205C, this is similar to the claims on the bottle except the pour point listed on the bottle is lower. So is there a point to all this? The PDS lists an ASTM D97 Pour point and in some cases the pour point listed on the bottle (the wording is the same on all of them only the temp changes) is the same as the PDS and in other cases it is not. I would go with 0w20 or 0w30 if choosing Mobil 1 for extreme cold, I have also used 5w30 Mobil 1 for a few winters in Maine, but it is not nearly as cold here as in some parts of Canada.

""Because it's a wishy washy statement to say "as low as". Without a specific testing method one could use an alternative method to define when it "pours".""

I said IF data sheet says Astm pp is -54c then why not say pours to -54C most people do not know ASTM routines.

But I do agree with the "as Low" as in that statment could also be true if PP was -49C.

Bye the way I run this all the time and at "the pour point"
the oil is NOT anywhere thin enought to pump and the pour part is barly any movement the oil is more like softy ice cream or pudding at the "pour Point" temp.

bruce

I definitely agree that the current data provided by XOM is very poor, no doubt they are trying to hide something, it is too bad some independent lab doesn't run some of these tests for cold temp performance on some of the major brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back