Best oil for EXTREME Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
For extreme cold conditions in Canada, the most readily available choice would be GC 0w30, found in Walmart or CT. But there is also Esso XD 0w30 as well, which is priced less, but harder to find for some people (for instance, in Toronto there is only one place that sells it and last I heard they are only open from M-F until 3pm)

I tried the XD-3 0w40.....too thick for me.

I will call around and see if they have the XD-3 0w30.

Also someone suggested Petrocan 0w30....I will look at that as well.

It is getting bloody cold here!

Quote:

Does anyone have experience with Mobil 1 0-30?

That would of been my first choice, but since they've been moving to Group III basestocks, and more importantly, don't publish the CCS and MRV values, you might be able to do as good or better for a lot less money.

Quote:

What would be your pick for Extreme cold weather????

You forgot to mention what oil weight you need.

I always thought the best cold flow oil in Canada came in a Petro-Canada 5W-20/30 oil jug?

Perhaps I'm mistaken?
dunno.gif

To answer the question directly - 0W20. Too many variables. What viscosity does your engine specify? GC is a thick 0W30. I have always used M1 for my 0W30 usages but as stated in the above post, I am reluctant to use M1 anymore because of their re-formulations. Having said that, it was 19F when I started my vehicle this morning and the engine fired instantly and the oil pressure rocketed up as always. When I drain the M1 out, I will refill with GC which I know will be more than adequate for any severe cold weather I am subjected to.

So to re-answer the question more specifically, I would say M1 0W20 or Amsoil's 0W30.
patriot.gif

Quote:

Does anyone have experience with Mobil 1 0-30?

I shure do!!! thats all i run in the winter love the stuff
oil gauge moves instantly when the engine fires.

no noise or tick,thinking of using it all year around..

It would depend on what car you would be using it in.

BUT. IN really cold conidtions, I would use Mobil 1 0W-20.

M1 0W-20

cSt @ 40ºC 43
cSt @ 100ºC 8.4
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150º C ASTM D 4683 2.61
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 165
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -57

offtopic.gif

Where is RonAKA? He should be all over this. He was/is way too "in" this oil stuff to have just dropped out. Hope he's O.K.. Anyone know?
patriot.gif

Quote:

offtopic.gif

Where is RonAKA? He should be all over this. He was/is way too "in" this oil stuff to have just dropped out. Hope he's O.K.. Anyone know?
patriot.gif

I thought the same thing after reading about the third post.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the battery. With 0w ANYTHING, if it isn't firing right off and it's turning over slowly, I'd be more concerned about the charging system/battery than the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back