Changing Spark Plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Chrysler Town,Country 3.8 engine what is involved in changing the rear spark plugs the front ones are no problem to get to.

for daimler chrysler minivans there is a very good technical forum at allpar.com.

someone there probably has a good trick to use for the difficult to get to plugs.

Just a hunch going by what I learned in a GM shop watching tune-ups on 3.1s, if there's an upper engine mount that you can access, you may need to disconnect it and rock the engine forward to access the rear plugs.

Drew99GT,

That was my thought also I did not know what I would encounter trying to remove them. I have jack stands also Rino ramps.

Try Autozone's repair guide on their website. Or head to your local library and they should have a Mitchell OnDemand subscription online.

I changed plugs in my '99 3.3L Grand Caravan.

For the rearmost 3 plugs, it's easier to raise the van on ramps or jack stands and access them from underneath. There is a natural path from the bottom, working with your arms through the exhaust tunnel.

Some have changed the rear plugs by removing the windshield wipers and cowling. I tried that first, gave up, and then went to the underside method. It didn't hurt any that the cowling was removed, but it's not essential.

Look in the minivan forum section on allpar. There are regular postings about changing plugs.

Keith,

Thanks for your information I had a 99 Dodge caravan 3.3L engine I never attempted to change them myself I have a Chrysler Town/Country 2002 3.8L engine and with much more room behind the engine than than the 99 Dodge I thought I would try it perhaps with only 58k on it the plugs are ok what is your thoughts on it.

Yeah, my four-banger is SLOOOOOOW, but I can get to the plugs
happy2.gif

Quote:

...I thought I would try it perhaps with only 58k on it the plugs are ok what is your thoughts on it.

If I recall, the factory plugs are Champion platinums. Mine weren't giving any problems but I changed them anyway at ... 140K miles! They were totally worn out with gaps that could be measured with your finger, but the engine was running perfectly - no drop in mpg, fast starting, etc.. Isn't modern ignition and fuel injection wonderful?

I'd guess you can go 100K miles before needing to do a routine plug change. Here is one of my 140K plugs:

plug1.jpg

The other 5 looked about the same. Changed the plug wires at the same time. If I still have the van when 240K miles rolls aorund, I'll change the plugs and wires again.

dbdeland, you'll save yourself some major cash changing them yourself. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I just paid my local ford dealership to change out the original plugs and wires on my 2001 windstar 3.8L @ 73Kmi. A HORRIBLE misfire cropped up after a cold start (no prior symptoms what so ever), I dropped it straight off at the dealer since I have 2Kmi left on my extended (khrap)warranty. Long story short? $354 for new plugs and wires. Dealers first attempt was over $500.
mad.gif
A little *conversation* got the price down some. IIRC, the essex 3.8L is the same as the chrysler, pull the cowling or give it a reach around from underneath. Wire routing looks fun. Atleast they did a nice job routing those pricey new motorcraft wires for me!

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back