Esso XD3 5W30 for a 1999 Cat 3126?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

Been awhile since my previous visits, but I still refer a number of people from our diesel site over here. You have a great site!

Question for the gurus:

I stumbled across the Esso XD3 0W40 2 years ago, and was very pleased with it (current price $111.00 per 20L pail, still the best value around IMHO).

But now, I need to find a conventional diesel oil with better cold start characteristics than 15W40. I already know my choices with synthetics, but I need some hep on the dino front.

I found Esso XD-3 5W30 on sale, and I picked up a pail intending to use it in our backup unit (1999 Cat 3126B with about 13,000 hours on her). The unit sits in the yard until needed, and does not have access to a block heater. It's impossible to start in -20 with 15w40.

Anyhoo, we just bought the CAT truck, and I have no owner/engine manual for it. Does anyone know if this oil will work? I have no idea of the API requirements for that engine either.

I also just bought a 2006 M2 Freightliner with the 900 series Mercedes diesel. 15W40 is too thick for winter, so does anyone have a good recommendation for a lower viscosity break in oil? I was hoping to also use the 5W30 XD3 but I have a feeling it does not meet current API specs.

PS

we'll switch to XD3 0W40 synthetic at about 15,000km.

I would not use any oil that is not at least CI-4 rated in any 3126/C7 engine. The 3126/C7 are HEUI fuel system engines, so an oil with excellent shear/antifoam properties are necessary. As long as your ambient temperatures are staying low, less than about 50*F I wouldn't have any problem running a 30wt oil. My concern would be that the oil needs to STAY a 30wt and not shear much. HEUI engines are very hard on oil because they use the engine oil as hydraulic oil to popoff the injectors.

I would be leery of the shear stability of a 5w30 dino oil. Most of the 5w30 are automotive gasoline oils and tend to shear to a mid-high 20wt which isn't really enough viscosity for the main/rod bearing loads in a 3126/C7 engine.

I would contact Finning in your area for a winter oil recommendation for that excavator and cat truck. Any Cats we have around here use a straight 30 weight but we do not see much in minus temps.

Petrocan makes 5/40 and 10/40 diesel oils. Chevron and Shell have 5/40s as well. I think all of the 5/40s are group 3 synthetics and the 10/40 is semi synthetic. Look over the specs but I think Petrocan oils have the best numbers. These oils should be ok for your Freightliner but check with the dealer first.

In the Army we use the c7 in one of our Armoured vehicles. No matter what the temps, it is always 15w40. That aside, if you want to use a 30 weight, make sure it is DIESEL RATED and meets the latest specs. You should have no problems, and the 30 weight would probably give you a bit extra mpg too

Hi all

Apologies for the delay in responding...work came on hard
smile.gif

1) The 5W30 I refer to is indeed a diesel oil, specifically XD-3 5W30 with the XD3 referencing a diesel application. Rated for CG-4, CF-4, CF, SH, SG applications, Meets CAT TO-2 and Vickers 35VQ25 specs. Not sure when CG-4 was superceded.
2) I discovered the CAT originally required a CF or CG rated oil
3) I have run 15W40 year round in our diesels, but it's dang hard on equipment at startup if you don't have an Espar coolant heater or access to a plug in. In our case with this truck, it does not have either. Was looking for something with better cold startup than 10W30.
4) I have had in the past really good experiences with Esso's XD3 0W40; while expensive, we decided it's cold start ability was second to none, and that's what we dropped into the CAT.
5) I put the XD3 5W30 into one of our other trucks that also will need the occasional cold start until it's traded in this January.
6) Oddly enough, it's really hard to get online info on the XD3 5W30, but FYI the UPC code for a 4 litre jug was 5819647824, and it was priced at $3.08/litre from the bulk dealer.

Anyhoo, we're also needing a good cold weather oil for an old John Deere 4010. Would this oil work for an old beast (or should we splurge and use the 0W40 synthetic)?

You know what man? I would stick to Esso 0w40. This oil has been field tested IN CANADA. Not the US. This oil can barely stay on the shelves at Macewens in Edmonton. They use it so much up north, that it is constantly flying out the door. I started my Cummins up at -30, recently-you know how cold it was you live in Calgary. It was not plugged in and it cranked over like it was a spring day. I am going to use amsoil hdd 5w30 next because of extended drains, but Esso 0w40 xd3 is my close number 2. That store I spoke about sells Delvac too, but Esso ALWAYS outsells it. I may be new to this oil, but I have done my homework on it. Sample on its way.
Derek

vT, Three years ago 0-40 XD3 was a semi blended oil, it still had cold start rating of -40C/F as does the current syn version for last few years.

I run straight 0-40 XD3 winter in my Cummins Diesel. In spring/summer/fall I run blended 15-40 conv XD3 with 0-40 syn XD3 with full blessing from the Esso tech.

If a blended XD3 syn sounds like an option, give the toll free tech line a call, the number is on the XD3 bottle, option offering for all it is worth.

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back