Ignorance WAS bliss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life sure was much simpler, easier, more carefree when I neither knew so much about motor oil or cared to know so much, and I'm really just beginning to understand. All I cared about was making sure I changed it in 3K/3MO and used Pennzoil 10W-30. Never had any oil-related problems that I knew of and spent my time on other things.

Now I'm paranoid, obsessed, can't read enough, shop in the oil sections everywhere I go, spend a couple of ours a day on BITOG, talk to anyone who listen about GII, GIII, vs. "true" synthetics, additive packages, the 3/3 myth, hydrocracking versus synthesis...

(Sigh)...Ain't it great?!
crazy.gif

Yep, I reached your point a short while ago. I just decided that I have better things to do in life.

As a result, I went back to being semi-ignorant? Why? I realized that I wasn't aiming for perfection.

Realistically, if one keeps their vehicle serviced by OEM recommendations, they will still obtain a long service life. It's only SERIOUS NEGLECT that will significantly reduce the service life of a vehicle.

Yes, using whatever over-the-counter oil and cheapo oil filter in your car and changing the oil per the Oil Life Monitor may not yield the cleanest engine, but compared to one that was meticulously maintained with top-notch synthetics and good filters, both vehicles will still run fine at 200k miles.

Any differences you may see by using the better products is minimal at best, and isn't worth my time, worrying, or money. I just sleep well at night knowing that I maintain my car better than most people on the road anyway...perhaps I should up my standards...but why bother? I doubt there will be a realized benefit after 200k miles...

Get my point?

Just remember that you'll almost certainly never have an oil-related engine failure due to using oil that meets the specifications and is suitable for your climate by changing it at recommended intervals, which are usually longer than 3K/3mo anyway. Anything you do isn't going to improve your odds or increase the life of your engine significantly provided you follow at least that. Get that in your head, and let the rest be a hobby for your spare time when you have nothing else to think about!
cool.gif

I also think I'm taking better care of my vehicles than 99% of the motoring public. But I can't help but keep looking for that perfect engine elixir...the magic formula that will make my engines run perfectly forever with absolutely no wear or failures of any kind.

I think it bubbles up next to the fountain of youth...

I just hang around 'cause they ain't banned me here as they have everywhere else.

But, I DID learn that Fram filters may not be the best thingy for my internally combusted critter.

Even if somebody does install enough filters, prefilters, magnets,Ouija boards, etc. to get a million miles out of their engine, how many auto bodies will be necessary ?

Bob

LOL. Like you said LouDawg..."the perfect elixer...that magic formula that will make my engines run perfectly forever with absolutely no wear...I think it bubbles up next to the fountain of youth."

Akin to women and their looks (make-up/clothing/dieting)? I suppose we all long to hold on to our youth. Anyway, it's hard to get around the fact that nothing lasts forever, no matter how vested. I guess though, the measurement of forever might just be long enough to see one's own existence through. Ok, that's depressing.

Quote:

Akin to women and their looks (make-up/clothing/dieting)? I suppose we all long to hold on to our youth. Anyway, it's hard to get around the fact that nothing lasts forever, no matter how vested. I guess though, the measurement of forever might just be long enough to see one's own existence through. Ok, that's depressing.

Yes, that IS depressing...thank #@$%! it's Friday so I can ease the pain over the weekend.
grin.gif

I would agree, however, after reading the link to Dr. Haas' oil study I do feel enlightened. Tha analogy to blood thinners was mint. The whole Fram filter thing must be a freak occurence and the cardboard end-caps seem of NO CONSEQUENCE as I too used them exclusively for years W/O any problem, yet I could never put one on now if they were giving them away! The truely educated never graduate and there is always something to learn. Your vehicle would still be running even if you didn't stumble on this site.

Ignorance is bliss. I went to see a dietician the other day. Lovely svelt thing ..about 26 ..and never, obviously, had a spare pound on her all her life.

When I described my daily diet her jaw sorta dropped.

I said "Sweety, yes, I'm a walking risk factor. Luckily the design was sound enough to withstand the insults."

She was kinda amazed that my UBA (used blood analysis) came back within univerally accepted averages.

So ..my advice? Tank up ..nitrates, saturated fats, trans fatty acids, trigycerides (spl?), caffiene ..whatever. There will be plenty of time for oatmeal and metamucil.

The twigs and bark diets ...garnished with liberal amounts of grass clippings just doesn't make it.

Oh ..and about your oil. Just do what feels best.
grin.gif

The people at walmart are CONVINCED i am stealing stuff from the oil section. I am back there so much... that within 2 min of me gettin there... a walmart employee is walking back to check on me.

They have a camera right above the oil section. Every time i go to walmart i check out the oil section for new oils, sales, or closeouts.... but they just dont see it that way.

I doubt that anyone here will ever lose or damage an engine sans failures that are due to bad parts.
Nobody that spends time on an oil forum will mistreat his/her car/bike/boat and I'm 100% positive that we all have the best cared-for engines on the planet.

Nothing I've read here leads me to believe that anyone's engine(s) are in danger.

I too felt it time to give up on the ultra-obsessive oil worries and continue what I've done for 35 years or engine care.
Never had any issues, never had any failures.

Live love and enjoy life. It just gets too ridiculous to keep dissecting oil down to the molecule.

Scott

Quote:

Ignorance is bliss. I went to see a dietician the other day. Lovely svelt thing ..about 26 ..and never, obviously, had a spare pound on her all her life.

I said "Sweety, yes, I'm a walking risk factor. Luckily the design was sound enough to withstand the insults."

She was kinda amazed that my UBA (used blood analysis) came back within univerally accepted averages.

So ..my advice? Tank up ..nitrates, saturated fats, trans fatty acids, trigycerides (spl?), caffiene ..whatever. There will be plenty of time for oatmeal and metamucil.

The twigs and bark diets ...garnished with liberal amounts of grass clippings just doesn't make it.

Oh ..and about your oil. Just do what feels best.
grin.gif

I like your outlook...unfortunately, my wife won't let me live that way.
frown.gif

When I speak to my coworkers at my job about their vehicles I see a trend. The people that simply follow the 3 month/3,000 mile drain religion and have very high mileage on their cars (greater than 175,000 miles) all suffer from similar automotive problems. While the vehicles have achieved high mileage they are by no means in good working order. Problems such as poor idle, poor fuel economy, inability to pass emissions are symptoms that they all share.

Most just accept these problems as the fee for owning a old car. However, two of my three vehicles have greater than 175,000 miles and suffer none of the problems they suffer.

I attribute it to being able to understand and interpret the basics of a oil analysis and to know when a oil is doing its job or not.

When repairs cost me money it is beneficial to keep my machines in the best condition that I know how. In this case, ignorance is bliss but knowledge is power.

My 1988 Mustang has over 171,000 miles and has none of those problems, and I've only ever done one oil analysis, when it was leaking coolant through the timing cover and I wanted to be sure it wasn't getting into the oil.

I attribute the lack of problems to (1) the oxygen sensor replacement, (2) the fuel injectors replacement, and (3)the thermactor air solenoids replacement as well as replacement of vacuum hoses BEFORE they break and cause a leak.

Someone who just ignored the symptoms of those failed components (the oxygen sensors were just replaced as a matter of mileage, not because of any problems) would have a car that idles poor, gets poor fuel economy, and won't pass emissions.

It doesn't help that it has no check engine light so it may have a problem that will only be detected by scanning it for codes...

Last edited:
Quote:

WHOA! As someone that is involved with life-saving operations on people with "NORMAL" blood values, you have to realize "NORMAL" does NOT mean "HEALTHY". All "NORMAL" really means is "average". Look at is this way, if more and more people neglect their engine oil change regimen, more and more people would get poorer and poorer UOA's. So, NORMAL wear indicators would increase over time. Again, NORMAL doesn't mean HEALTHY. Now, go out there and eat another donut! Just don't complain when the end results of abuse might not be fixed by a simple pill. And, if it can be fixed by a pill, don't complain about how much it costs!
laugh.gif

Quote:

When I speak to my coworkers at my job about their vehicles I see a trend. The people that simply follow the 3 month/3,000 mile drain religion and have very high mileage on their cars (greater than 175,000 miles) all suffer from similar automotive problems. While the vehicles have achieved high mileage they are by no means in good working order. Problems such as poor idle, poor fuel economy, inability to pass emissions are symptoms that they all share.

Most just accept these problems as the fee for owning a old car. However, two of my three vehicles have greater than 175,000 miles and suffer none of the problems they suffer.

I attribute it to being able to understand and interpret the basics of a oil analysis and to know when a oil is doing its job or not.

When repairs cost me money it is beneficial to keep my machines in the best condition that I know how. In this case, ignorance is bliss but knowledge is power.

You know, that's an excellent point and one that I've not really heard suggested here (it may have been, but I just haven't read it). So it's not just a matter of "getting there" (to high mileage), but getting there in good condition, without nagging mechanical problems, and with solid performance. Hmmmm...what a novel idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back