HDEO in Landcruiser (Delvac 15w-40 or Rotella T 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I'm a new member to this board, however i have been reading various posts on this board as reference for the past few months.
My question is i have a 1981 mercedes 240D (diesel), a 1987 toyota 4Runner (22RE engine) and a 1996 Lexus LX450 (aka landcruiser V6). I have been using either Delvac super 15W-40, or Shell Rotella T 15w-40 in both the 240D and the 4Runner as year around oil. I use either Delvac or Rotella T based on availibility at my costco. I have now over 250,000 miles on my 240D and over 228,000 miles on my 4Runner. I got both of these when they had just a little over 100,000 miles from the original owners.

I recently acquired the LX450 from my uncles (he's the original owner) and the car has been serviced exclusively at the Lexus dealership with 5W-30 dino i suppose. At least the book calls for 5W-30, or 10W-30 in some climates.

The LX450 now has 170,000 and uses about 1 quart of oil every 2500 miles. My question is since I have had excellent results with Delvac and Rotella T, is it ok if I start using either the new Delvac or Rotella T formula in the LX 450 as my year around oil as well.
I'm looking to run all these cars to at least 300,000 miles.
My last car was 1987 Toyota FX-16 GTS 1.6L DOHC (also acquired from my uncle at 120,000) which i ran to 386,000 miles using Delvac 15W-40 exclusively from costoc before donating car to Amercian Cancer Society (car was still running!).

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but i read a lot of different post looking for an answer on this and could not find a definitive answer.

Also, note that the has not been opened, or worked on in any of these cars. These are all original engines, with original miles, never opened.

Even the 1987 FX-16 had never been opened or worked on at 386,000 miles.

I don't see any problems, rather your oil consumption on the Lexus Cruiser might go down by using Delvac.

That is exactly what i was thinking. both the 240D and 4Runner had slight oil usage when i acquired them (previous owners were using Mobil 10W-40, and Toyota 10W-30 respectively). As soon as I started using Delvac 15W-40, both oil usage issues were cured.

I was thinking of perhaps using either Delvac-1 or Rotella Synthetic on the LX450, because the winter temps here can get into the single digits (F). Not sure how the pour point in regular dino Delvac and Rotella T , compare to the Synthetic version of Delvac-1 or Rotella S.

If I can get away with using the dino versions I would like to as I have had excellent results with these oils (primarily Delvac, but have used 10-15% Rotella when costco had Delvac stocking issues).

Also the LX 450 does not leak any oil and I would like to keep it that way. I was afraid that since the car has only seen dino throughout its life cycle that introducing Delvac1 or Rotella S would cause leaking issues.

I appreciate your inputs

Makes me wonder to keep using Amsoil Series 3000 which is a HDEO. This spring im using up the S3000 then the fallowing fall the rest of the S2000.

I lost over 1 mpg using 15W-40 HDEO in my '97 LX-450 vs an 11cSt 30wt. I could actually feel the lost horsepower, and it would downshift on hills using the HDEO that did not require a downshift using the 30wt.

My oil analyses were better on the 30wt as well.

I've ran Delo 15-40 in a few vehicles. all gas motors. I did notice a little bit more valve train noise with the 15W on cold start ups vs the 10-40. and Oil pressure is a bit lower using the 10-40 or 10-30, cold and hot wise. I really like the HDEO, but not sure the mpg/power loss is worth the supposed extra protection. YOu might want to try some 10-40 HM oil. like the Max life or Castrols HM formula. I deffinately would not use 5-30 in a 200K motor! My 4runner has 140K on it, and it seems to like 10-40 real well. and my '85 200K mile supra also like 10-40.

If you live in colder climates, I would rather suggest Delvac-I 5W-40 instead of Delo 400 15W-40, for summers and warmer regions, Delo reigns supreme, gas or diesel.

Been doing some research... the new Rotella T with Triple Protection (which is API-SM rated) ,as opposed to the regular Rotella T multigrade, seems to be a very good oil. It actually has much different specs than regular Rotella T with the triple protection having pour point of -40.

My first choice for dino at this point is prob Delo however, but also looking at Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 if i could find a consistant supply here.

Here are the specs for Rotella T multigrade:

Typical Properties of Shell ROTELLA® T Multigrade

Test Method SAE Grade
15W-40 10W-30
Product Code 50012 50011
Property
Viscosity
@ 40°C, cSt
@ 100°C, cSt
D 445
D 445

---
Viscosity Index D 2270 141 155
Pour Point ºC, (ºF) D 97 –36 (–33) –40 (–40)
Pour Point COC, ºC (ºF) D 92 213 (415) 210 (410)
Neutralization No., TBN-E D 2896 11.5 11.0
Sulfated Ash, %wt D 874 1.47 1.3

And here are the specs for the new Rotella T with triple protection:

Test Method

SAE Grade

15W-40

10W-30

Product Code - bulk

Product Code - drum

Property

Viscosity:

@ 40°C, cSt

D445

@ 100°C, cSt

D445

Viscosity Index

D2270

Pour Point, °C (°F)

D97

-40 (-40)

-40 (-40)

Flash Point, COC, °C (°F), min

D92

204 (400)

204 (400)

Neutralization No., TBN

D2896

Sulfated Ash, % wt

D874

1.0 max

1.0 max

Typical Physical Characteristics

These characteristics are typical of current production. While future production will conform to Shell's
specifications, variations in these characteristics may occur.

Quote:

what 30w oil did/are you using in your LX450? is it dino or synthetic?

Mostly MaxLife ($2/quart closeout SL oil from Autozone). Also used and analyzed Supertech...it did great.

picked up some of the new Rotella T 15W-40 with triple protection today from advance auto. It has a Pour Point, of
-40. I figure that will do fine in the winters heres, and should definitely be ok during the summers.

was thinking about the synthetic route but came upon this earlier today... would be interested to hear what this board thinks of the following comments:

" #3 04-03-2002, 07:52 PM
Jackd Posts: n/a

After having spent 25 years in the oil/lubicants business (manufacturing/lab side), I still have to see a product (at whatever price) that will fix mechanical problems. Some can conceal the problems but will never fix it. I have seen engine go for 500,000mi without any failure with regular brand name dino. oils and others with 50,000 mi with major wear problems after using expensive synthetic oils. The reverse is also true.
Using a high detergent oil (normally solvent based) in an older engine is playing roulette. If an older engine is sludged-up, a high detergent oil will most likely dislodge particules that could block-off some smaller oil orifice. Then, big trouble happen. Solvent based detergent will reduce oil pressure and reduce the oil film coating internal components of the engine, which is required for proper protection during cold start where the high wear rate happens. If you ever decide to go that way, make sure you drastically reduce oil/filter change intervals for an extended period of time (mileage). Your oil leaks are caused by faulty gaskets/seals. Some additives could possibly plug those holes temporarily but those hole still exist. You can not cover-up/undo years of neglect with a few bottles of liquids.
Miracle oil, gas additive, oil additives, engine treatment is not a cocktail I'd serve to my engines. Most first quality oil and gasoline contain all the additives an engine require.
Miracle do not come in plastic bottles. Most of it is only money wasted.
JackD "

Picked up some Rotella Snthetic 5W-40 and some Rotella T 15W-40... going to mix 3 parts snythetic and 4 quarts of the Rotella T 15W-40.
anyone recommend for or against this blend for the winter...

What is the benefit other than saving a few pennies to mixing dino and syn oils? The way I see it, it:
1. Decreases the synthetic oil's performance
2. You now have to buy more than one viscosity of oil
3. You have no clear idea what the viscosity is (maybe it might be a 9.3W40!)
4. But you do save a few pennies.
Rotella 5w40 although a top performer is still Dino based. It says so in its MSDS.
My opinion, but if you are going to use an oil albeit syn or dino, use one type and stick with it. Your results in the long run will be much better.
But, if you enjoy mixing, Fill yer boots! You are not going to do any harm.

Quote:

What is the benefit other than saving a few pennies to mixing dino and syn oils? The way I see it, it:
1. Decreases the synthetic oil's performance
2. You now have to buy more than one viscosity of oil
3. You have no clear idea what the viscosity is (maybe it might be a 9.3W40!)
4. But you do save a few pennies.
Rotella 5w40 although a top performer is still Dino based. It says so in its MSDS.
My opinion, but if you are going to use an oil albeit syn or dino, use one type and stick with it. Your results in the long run will be much better.
But, if you enjoy mixing, Fill yer boots! You are not going to do any harm.

How much are people really saving by mixing their own brew. They should just use a synthetic blend and save alittle bit more money vs mixing.

only reason i was going to mix was because i got advice on this board not to use synthetic on this engine because it has only been fed dino it's entire life.

More than a few people said that I will most likely start developing leaks.
Otherwise I have no issues with going with a full synthetic Rotella S... In fact I would rather do that and keep things simple.

I picked up 3 gallons of Rotella S at walmart for 13.44 each. I'm willing to put all Rotella S in, if I knew that I wouldn't develop any oil leaks, as I dont have any leaks now.

There should be no problem mixing those two Rotella-T oils, and although it may not provide the exactly same results vis-a-vis gas mileage as 100% 5W-40, if you are driving a Landcruiser/LX450 WHO CARES?! These are REAL off-road trucks, not mamby-pamby crossovers, eh?

Cheers!

p.s. I thought these were all either I6's or V8's: which V6 does it have? Is it a 4.0?

Quote:

p.s. I thought these were all either I6's or V8's: which V6 does it have? Is it a 4.0?

You are correct. All LX-450s have the I-6 4.5l DOHC and the LX-470s have the V-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back