Switching from Light truck to passenger tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question is for my 91 pathfinder with the factory 31x10.5/15' all terrain tires. what are the pro's and con's to switching to a passenger type tire highway all season 265/75/15 same dimension.thanks for any input.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=1#Post760315
grin.gif

LT tires usually have more plies, so they're often more expensive, heavier, stiffer, and more resistant to punctures.

Here is a quote from the tirerack.com website.

Quote:

However there is an idiosyncrasy governing the use of Euro-metric and P-metric sized tires on vans, pickup trucks and SUVs because these vehicles have a higher center of gravity and greater probability of being overloaded than passenger cars. In order to accommodate this, vehicle engineers are required to specify Euro- or P-metric sized tires rated to carry 10% more weight than would be required if they were used on a passenger car. This is the equivalent of taking the tire's load capacity branded on its sidewall and multiplying it by 91%. For example, a Euro- or P-metric tire designated to carry 2,000 pounds on a car is restricted to carrying 1,820 pounds when used on a van, pickup truck or SUV. This size selection practice provides the vehicle manufacturer with the appropriate tire load capacity.

You won't have any problem with P tires. I always ran them on the 6 full size pickups I've had over the years and had no problems with them. Many compact trucks, such as my Ford Ranger, and lighter SUV's, even come stock with P tires. As said above, the LT tire is built to take more weight and abuse. But as I said, I've done just fine with the P's, which cost less.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that there's often increased load capacity with LTs. It didn't come to mind since it's probably not much of a concern on a Pathfinder!

I wonder if I would see better MPG due to passenger tires being lighter and rolls better compared to a light truck tire, and probobly better ride also.

On my work Explorers I use Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires. About $80 a tire(Tire Rack carries them) Good ride and handling. Quiet and MPG friendly. Although my Explorers came with Michelin Cross Terrains, I figured I'd give the Indy 500's a try because of being half the price. I am not saying they are Michelins, but they sure are close. At half the price well worth it IMO.

Another option that friends of mine with pickups use and swear by them are Firestone Destination LE's. They are a LT tire but ride more like a passenger tire yet carry a good load with long lasting tread. These guys know their trucks so I believe them.

Under $100 (from Tires Rack) in your size

Quote:

This question is for my 91 pathfinder with the factory 31x10.5/15' all terrain tires. what are the pro's and con's to switching to a passenger type tire highway all season 265/75/15 same dimension.thanks for any input.

I just did this exactly on my Tacoma. Put on Yokohama Geolanders in 265-75R15 instead of 31x10.5-15. Pros are cheaper, probably better ride on-road, probably better gas mileage. Cons are less tread depth and lower max inflation pressure (35# vs 50#) although the weight capacity was listed as 300# more for the 265s.

For what my truck gets used for, mostly light duty on-road, they seemed like a better choice for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back