Toyota pink type 2 antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

mez

My 2000 Toyota requires type 2 pink antifreeze. Can the "green" antifreeze be used?

Thanks, john

Look to your owners manual. Otherwise, check with your Toyota dealer. Mose times your better off using the specified fluid.

Is the pink type 2 same as any brand name, other then Toyota's?

This description of Toyota "pink" from Toyota:

"Genuine Toyota Super Long-Life Antifreeze/Coolant

Genuine Toyota Super Long-Life Antifreeze/Coolant is the same high quality, factory-fill product found in new Toyotas. You'll know it by its distinctive pink color. It provides maximum protection and durability without the use of harmful silicates. And because it's compatible with non-metallic materials, it helps extend the life of water-pump seals. Don't trust your engine to anything less than the best: Genuine Toyota Super Long-Life Antifreeze/Coolant."

The current wisdom is that this is an OAT/phosphate hybrid corrosion protection chemistry which is also true of Honda and Nissan antifreeze/coolants. Quite a few Toyota owners have also posted excellent results with Zerex G-05 in their cars' cooling systems. G-05 uses reduced silicate content in lieu phosphates for its hybrid formula. G-05 is factory-fill in all Mercedes-Benz (for over two decades - automotive and commercial), Mopar, and Ford passenger cars and light truck. Contrary to Toyota's assertion of the "harmful" effects of silicates, silicates work well and remain stable in solution as long as they're not used in the previously obscene concentrations of the traditional "green-snot-o'-death" antifreeze formulas common over a decade ago.

The pink stuf is Toyota's Ultra Long Life coolant and is very diferent fromt heir Red Long Life coolant. THe Pink stuff only comes premixed 50/50. You will need 2 galons if you drain the block,radiator and resovoir. If you only drain rad and res one gallon will do it.

hey ray

I checked my 06 vibe 1.8L, it has the pink stuff in the overflow, but the owners manual says to use dexcool which is orange. I'm weary of mixing coolant types.

What 2000 model is it? Toyota officially started putting pink in all models beginning with the 2004 model year. Some earlier model year japanese built vehicles were shipped with pink. The earliest I've seen the pink is in 2002 japanese camrys and 2002 4runners. Your car probably calls for the red. Yes, green is fine, though, I suggest you use the toyota red, as it seems to generally hold up better over time.

Quote:

hey ray

I checked my 06 vibe 1.8L, it has the pink stuff in the overflow, but the owners manual says to use dexcool which is orange. I'm weary of mixing coolant types.

it is a toyota... fill only with toyota coolant... don't mix...

I assume the 2000 Toyota was using pink antifreeze( From looking at the color). When I call the folks at Prestone's they recommend to only use Prestone Dex-cool for the Toyota. The folks at Zerex does not recommends using G05. Is there much diff between the two.

Yes, the levels of borates,phosphates,silcates various acids and corrision inhibitors vary widely by OEM. If you anyone decides to switch to readily available coolant then always flush the block,heater core adn radiator and resovoir out first. While I have had good luck useing any coolant I wanted too in any application I always made sure to flush the system first if I was not installing OEM specified coolant. My Dad has been running GM Dex-Cool against my cautions in his 1995.5 Tacoma since 1998. To date he has had no issues with it at all. His tacoma does not pass any coolant through anyting plastic though either just cast iron and aluminum.

Toyota uses a coolant that in its un-diluted form is BLOOD RED. If you can get it, buy it this way and cut 50% w/ DISTILLED WATER ONLY as it will be cheaper this way. The factory fluid is available ONLY at your Toyota dealer @ $16.95 /GAL. Do not "experiment" here if you want longevity. I realize that some dealer items such as motor oil (Toyota oil = Mobil Drive Clean 5000)but the coolant is a special animal. The chemistry that Asian manufacturers use is different from domestics. Having experienced head gasket problems in a FORD 300 6 cyl (everyone here raves about this engine but I suffered 2 failures in a truck that only carried me my lunchbox and my dog?) I learned about coolant. I change out about half my coolant in my Toyota annually and at 70,000 miles the radiator sparkles inside and I'm not suffering from lack of heat as many heater cores clog with time and heat production becomes minimal. GOOD LUCK!

Please don't monkey with coolants -- I had my radiator replaced on my 2K maxima becoz I monkeyed with Dexcool stuff (more ingnorance than actually intentially using non-compatable coolants from my side). Just pay what the dealer wants and put OEM stuff. I have flushed my cooling system with $20 Nissan Long Life coolant hoping it will last another 5 years before the vehicle dies on its own.

Quote:

Quote:

hey ray

Hmm...maybe the Pontiac Vibe gets Dexcool while the Matrix gets a Toyota coolant? Even though the Vibe is the same as the Toyota?

Quote:

The green can and has been used for many years with no problems in Toyotas.

Green will work in nearly all cooling systems on the market today...the big problem is that it MUST be replaced every 2-3yrs/30k miles with no exceptions...if it's the conventional type.

I'm using the Prestone All Makes All Models yellow green extended life in the Previa...too early to tell if it works, but it's already smelling awful after a few days.
frown.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

hey ray

but he said pink coolant on the overflow... so I think it should be toyota coolant...

Hmm...maybe the Pontiac Vibe gets Dexcool while the Matrix gets a Toyota coolant? Even though the Vibe is the same as the Toyota?

I have seen pink dexcool as well (in a 2000-ish Chevy truck)...factory fill stuff only. Every 'aftermarket' dexcool I've seen has been orange as you say.

Makes it confusing.

Quote:

I have seen pink dexcool as well (in a 2000-ish Chevy truck)...factory fill stuff only. Every 'aftermarket' dexcool I've seen has been orange as you say.

Makes it confusing.

omg... that make this more confusing...
pat2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back