Gas Engine That Will Make 500,000 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to take a WAG that a NA Volvo white block with good maintenance can pull it off.

I KNOW a red block or slant six can do it, but those old lovelies are no longer in the showrooms.

Quote:

No votes for the GM 5.3 liter.
frown.gif
My 02 Suburban has 84K on it right now, and I'm hoping for at least 300K.

If it's not a piston slapper it might do it. I had a piston slapper and was afraid to take it past 100k because the dealer had about 10 of them blow at 100-110k.
crushedcar.gif

Quote:

Quote:

No votes for the GM 5.3 liter.
frown.gif
My 02 Suburban has 84K on it right now, and I'm hoping for at least 300K.

If it's not a piston slapper it might do it.

So that narrows it down to about 100 in the U.S. Me being anal, I listen to Subs./Tahoes/Silverados in parking lots to see if they slap. I must say, I haven't heard many that don't. Mine is a slapper for about 20 seconds when cold. I will be putting my first sample for a UOA in the mail soon, so we'll see how it's wearing.

^I had a customer bring a 99 or 2000 5.3L truck in when I worked at the GM dealership, and it had 363,000km's. That isn't very high mileage but he used it in his tree service business and I don't think he took very good care of it because he tore a strip off me when I gave him an estimate for a worn ball joint that was only available as the whole control arm if bought by GM. I went and checked his history and he brought it to us regularly but hadn't had much in the way of problems with it.

Quote:

Much easier for V8 engines to run this long because of the low RPM operating range. I would vote for any V8 engine operated primarily highway and well maintained, even a Ford modular V8 if you can keep the #@$%! spark plugs from spitting out of the heads

never had a problem with any of my modular's doing this

I don't know whether the engine is still in production, but the 3.0l Vulcan is highly regarded by the Aerostar crowd (don't laugh, there are Aerostar forums out there).
Other than that, GM's 3.8l V-6 seems very robust.
Any Honda should go the distance, but there is that pesky timing belt, and changing it ranges from not bad to awful depending on the application. It is easy to avoid the Honda autobox problem in most models by getting the three pedal version.

Hello BT ,

That aluminum block equiped 4.6L in the Mustang ( with a women driver so the rest of the vehicle gets there ) has some intriguing potential in regards to this question . Lots of very favorable attributes . I don't know enough to put it at number one although it's a very , very strong contender . Alot of the previous posters have hit many of the high notes - the one that catches my eye is the material change on the block ie now in sync with the heads - and this on an iron block/alloy head combo with a very good -outstanding track record on headgasket retention .

I'm just thinking out loud here ;
Plenty of metal
Deep block
Deep and properly done water jacketing
Similiar materials heads and block
Even to even enough temps thru out
And the reversal of the Block material - that's the really intriguing part - reminds me of part of why the slant six was unstoppable .

Cylinder head temps ???? ( compared to previous ) and trying to save a couple bucks on head gaskets or hoses are about the the only things I'm unsure of . That's my ignorance of some engineering detail - no reflection on FORD .everything else would appear to be there in spades including most of its previous record .
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Black_Thunder, do a search on the cylinder head problem with these engines. It doesn't affect every engine, most of the cars are not affected although some have, mostly its trucks with 5.4V8's of a certain year range. It is a huge problem though and its very expensive to fix in some cases, when both cylinder heads have to be replaced. I just saw one torn down getting 2 new heads a couple weeks ago when I visited the dealer I used to work at. That customer paid a lot of $$. Yes, sometimes a heli-coil would work to replace the threads but not always. The newer heads have at least twice the amount of threads in each hole. The bad ones have 3 IIRC.

I KNOW for sure that my LS400 1UZ-FE WILL make it there if I keep it that long. It runs like a champ with almost 250k on it right now.

I'd vote for the 2.3L, five cylinder VW/Audi motor...I've seen many of them with 250k-300k miles and no signs of significant wear.

I suspect the new 2.5L, chain driven, DOHC five cylinder engine in the new golf and Jetta will also turn out to be an extremely durable motor. This new engine is grossly overengineered and Audi is bringing out a turbocharged version that puts out > 300 Hp (the N/A version is de-tuned and only generates half of that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back