Gas Engine That Will Make 500,000 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

GM 4.3 V-6. This engine is unstoppable.

crushedcar.gif
Lost one to an intake gasket, and I mean DOA. Crankcase filled to the brim with coolent. Motor was a post toasty.

Quote:

Non-current: As another guy once noted, convert a Slant Six to natural gas and it'll still be running when the sun burns out.

The new ones are electronics dependent, as I see it.

After the big nuclear war, the only thing moving will be cockroaches and slant sixes.

Quote:

Quote:

Well in 2006 they still make the Jeep 4.0. I am sure it will go the distance.

Too bad they are going to the 3.8L now in the JK's and the 3.7L in the WK and KJ's.

I agree. The 4.7 in the WK's though are pretty bullet proof and would be nice if they put that engine in the new JK's. OR if they put the diesels in them.
grin.gif

Quote:

I agree. The 4.7 in the WK's though are pretty bullet proof and would be nice if they put that engine in the new JK's. OR if they put the diesels in them.
grin.gif

Yea, the CRD would be sweet in the JK. I want a 4 door bad! Maybe when my WJ craps out. It would be cool if they made the SRT 6.1L available in them too. Talk about a screamer...

Current production: Ford 4.6l V8. Jeep 4.0l (although now dead for 2007
frown.gif
)(Funny - I own one of each!) I also like the 4.7 V8's from Daimler.

Quote:

Current production: Ford 4.6l V8. Jeep 4.0l (although now dead for 2007
frown.gif
)(Funny - I own one of each!) I also like the 4.7 V8's from Daimler.

Yea, too bad Ford has such a huge problem with plugs launching out of the heads on the 4.6L & 5.4L 2V's. That was one of the reasons I ditched the truck. C'mon Ford, 3 threads on the spark plug holes...If it was not for that, these engines are super stout and will last forever.

The Ford 4.6L pickup/van truck engines are different than the auto versions. The truck engines have achieved 900K on M1 oil here in Miami.

The auto version has low tension piston rings and tends to smoke after 100K if not properly cared for. The truck version has full floating pistions, chrome faced rings and a host of other long life tricks. Properly cared for, they will easily make 500K.

However the transmissions are another story. That delievery van I know about has gone through 4 or 5 transmissions.

Chris

^^Are you sure about that? The modular engine didn't come out in the trucks until 1997 and I thought the oil consumption problem had been fixed by that time. Only repair everyone at the Ford dealer I worked at remembers for that problem was some type of valve guide repair. The 4.6's came out in 1992 in the CV's IIRC. Also the defective cylinder heads that don't have enough spark plug heads only seem to show up in the trucks althouh there has been the odd car that did it. The police cruisers haven't had any problems that I remember.

I think there are several engines that will make 500K, most Honda's, Toyota's and Lexis' will. I think I'll have no problem making it with my 01 Civic with 254,000 miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back