Gas Engine That Will Make 500,000 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The subject is which of the current production automotive GASOLINE engines have the best chance of making 500,000 mi.

I vote for the 4.7L Toyota V-8 and 2.4L Honda.

Ford 4.6L V8

http://www.prdomain.com/companies/F/FordMotor/newsreleases/20069735434.htm
grin.gif

The timing chain (4.6L) should not have to be changed I'm sure of. My vote goes to the Ford 4.9l inline 6, and the 1.8L VW engines, both should go the distance without any internals giving out.

With some exceptions the car/truck with any motor that is driven purely high highway miles at speed limit, accelerated gently and has regular engine maintenance.

Usually a travelling salesman has a vehicle that fits these parameters. Typically they don't make the full 500k since an auto tranny fails or the car is in an accident making it not worth it to fix the vehicle.

Well in 2006 they still make the Jeep 4.0. I am sure it will go the distance.

Id say any engine designed for Hybrid use will get 500K miles no problem. These engines are designed low friction and built extra strong for the harsh start/stop Hybrid cycles. Just use any 5w-20 oil that is Ford rated and change every 3K miles and 500K miles should be easy to achieve.

Non-current: As another guy once noted, convert a Slant Six to natural gas and it'll still be running when the sun burns out.

The new ones are electronics dependent, as I see it.

Much easier for V8 engines to run this long because of the low RPM operating range. I would vote for any V8 engine operated primarily highway and well maintained, even a Ford modular V8 if you can keep the #@$%! spark plugs from spitting out of the heads

Quote:

Well in 2006 they still make the Jeep 4.0. I am sure it will go the distance.

Too bad they are going to the 3.8L now in the JK's and the 3.7L in the WK and KJ's.

Quote:

I haven't seen a Honda V6 make it past 300k yet.

There's a web site where folks report on their Honda hm engines...there are lots of Honda V6's reported there. I'll have to find the site...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back