Motorcraft FL-300, FL-300W???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing an oil change for a friend and would like to use a Motorcraft filter.

She has a '94 Dodge Spirit w/the 2.5L engine... The book at Walmart said to use "Motorcraft FL-300W", but the filter they had was "FL-300" (no W)... Even more odd, the tag on the shelf said FL-300W for the FL-300 filter (upc matched too). I matched it up with the other filters and it seemed like it would work, so I went ahead and purchased it. The other filters avail were Supertech ST16, and the Fram xx16 filters...

When I came home, I cross referenced the FL-300 and found Fram's xx16 filters listed also.

Is there really a FL-300W filter? or is this a typo? I didn't find any matches when searching on google.

I researched these filters more closely and found some interesting findings...

The Dodge 2.5L calls for the Wix 51085. My mom drives a 2000 Caravan w/the 3.0L V6 (Mitsu engine) that also calls for the same filter (would like to know if the FL-300 can be used on that engine too, 6g72)

Anyway, the Ford application of the FL-300 cross references to Wix 51068, where as Dodge calls for 51085. Both of these filters seem to cross reference to the Fram xx16 filters though.

Wix is nice enough to give their specs for the filters... The gasket size and thread are exactly the same for these two filters...

http://info.rockauto.com/WIX/DetailWIX.htm?www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51085

http://info.rockauto.com/WIX/DetailWIX.htm?www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51068

The differences I noticed where in the beta ratio (no idea what that means) and the burst pressure (275psi vs. 365; no idea what that means either)...

Since the 51085 has a higher burst pressure than the 68, does that mean the FL-300 could possibly fail when used on Dodge applications?

All this is so dang confusing, perhaps I should just install the silly filter and see what happens...
crazy.gif

Nope, your oil pump will fail if you had that much pressure in the filter!

Maybe that one filter has a thicker case then the other. That filter will tolerate more road debris. So, which application needs a wife(curb) proof filter?
Shorter filters also tend to have higher burst pressures even when the case is the same thickness. Take a look at the 51515 and 51773 burst specs.

Ok, I'm confident on using the FL-300 on the 2.5L Dodge.

Has anyone tried the FL-300 on Dodge Caravan's equipped with the 3.0L V6 (6g72 Mitsu)?

I have been using it on my 2.0L Neon for a several oil changes now. FL-300W is probably a TYPO. 300 replaced the 200. That one may have been the lower burst pressure. Great filter low cost. Much
smile.gif

Quote:

Ok, I'm confident on using the FL-300 on the 2.5L Dodge.

Has anyone tried the FL-300 on Dodge Caravan's equipped with the 3.0L V6 (6g72 Mitsu)?

Sure ..that's what's supposed to be on it.

Essentially, spunky, the 3/4-16 filter with the 2.8/2.4 gasket is about the most widely offered filter on the planet. I mix and match up and down where I feel like it. My son's Neon takes the 3614 sized OEM ..it gets a FL300/PH16 sized filter. It can fit a FL1A sized ..but hangs below the pan. I put a heat exchanger on the wife's jeep. I can't fit a 16 ..so it gets a 3614 sized filter.

I encountered the same issue at walmart, for my 2005 Grand Caravan it called for the FL-300W, I bought the FL-300 and figured I'd try it out, looks like a good filter for $3.28, is it a basic purolator or better? I know it dosen't have a silicone ADBV.

MC have shown very good results in particle counts. I have several in my filter shrine. That's right next to the oil vault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back