Reasons for oval cylinder wear (1ZZ-FE oil use)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm researching the oil consumption issue affecting Toyota's 1ZZ-FE motors. I understand that it's most severe between years 00-02 and is in part fixed by 2 different countermeasures deployed by Toyota between may 02 and january 03. My car (03 corolla) was made in mid 02 so it did not get all coutermeasures.

One of the accounts posted on net mentions oval cylinder #3:
http://www.vvti.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12032

I also found a comment from a dealer technician talking about abnormal cylinder wear in the mid portion of the stroke causing loss of honing, and loose pistons in several 1zz-fe blocks.

This is a quite specific description. Can one deduct what lubrication failure and/or defective design/materials is involved?

BTW, the supposed countermeasures were altered piston ring treatment and drilling of oil channels.

Thanks!

Well, I am glad to know I don't have the only oil drinking Corolla. Mines a 94 7AFE though. Man, I thought my 1 quart/1000 miles was bad. 1 liter every 650 km is insane. That's adding a quart at every gas fill up.

My 05 1ZZFE did use oil a little when it was new and really liked Mobil 1 when I ran it but once it got around 30k, it's down to a 1-2 ozs per 4-5k OCI.

Tail pipe is clean with nothing on it. You can even see the metal streaks and welds on the inside.

My Ford Taurus had the worst looking pipe, black and sooty.. But never used any amount of oil. (we will not talk about head gaskets though...)
smirk.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

From what I read you want more of a metallurgical engineer. If the motor has a design defect or was spec'd inferior aluminum, it'd be tough to ask an oil to make up for that.

The cylinders are not oval shaped. You rarely see this happen on any inline engine. As a matter of fact I have never seen an oval cylinder on any OEM's inline engine. The wear pattern if anything would be a tapered bore. The problem is the oil control rings. If you make them work too well then the bore is left with very little lube and you have consuption issues. If you make them too weak too much oil is left on the bore and again you get consuption issues. Usualy what Toyota has done in the past when this occured on other engines like the 22RE and the 3.0V6 they changed the oil control ring material to stainless steel and used a different heat treatment protocal. I did not read the links you had in your thread.Lose pistons also would not be an OEM issue it just does not happen. The engine would not pass emission testing or end of assembly run up or any hot testing done to the engine before it left the enggine plant. If a guy had lose pistons he wore his wrings down through abuse or neglect. I am guesing that the oil holes and channels you are talking about would be in the ring lands and allow oil to flow to the wristpin and out the bottom of the piston. This keeps it from pooling in the ring lands were it must get burnt or coke.

Quote:

I'm researching the oil consumption issue affecting Toyota's 1ZZ-FE motors.

I bought a new 2001 Corolla 5-sp for a commuter vehicle and drove it very hard for 20K miles. It used no oil between 5K M1 OCIs.

If this is a real issue with those engines, I'm guessing it may be a quality control problem, kinda' like LSx engines and piston slap. If it was strictly a design issue, all of them would be affected when run under identical conditions.
twocents.gif

I did some more research. There are several different observations and theories.

These is the source for oval cylinder bores:
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=129858&sid=3a1a1eacb6c84e70b1cafef94750b188 post on Mar 23, 2006

Failing oil rings: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=50&t=35764 post on Apr 5 2006

Failing precat theory:
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10517
post #1

Abnormal resonance theory:
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10517
post #2

Loose pistons:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/archive/topic/26117-1.html
posts by Jzs147-RR

I also heard something about lean mixture and overheating pistons but can’t find a link.

I’m sure Toyota knows exactly what is going on as they modified the engine but this is kept very quiet, just like the sludge thing.

I’m hearing that 1ZZ-FE is going to be replaced soon by a new design.

Quote:

Well, I am glad to know I don't have the only oil drinking Corolla. Mines a 94 7AFE though. Man, I thought my 1 quart/1000 miles was bad. 1 liter every 650 km is insane. That's adding a quart at every gas fill up.

I'm calling Greenpeace on you.......you car is a fogger
blush.gif

THe only things that make sense are the abnormal resonance and the fact that the precat.'s comeing apart could be sucked in and sand blast the engine. The rest of those posts were in my opion a lot of nothing. We already know about the precat.'s issue as that applys to a lot of manufactures. Most engines have some form of abnormal resonance but it almost never anyplace in the power band that one would operate at constantly. So even if it has abnormal resonance at 4000RPM's how long do you stay at 4000 RPM's??

Quote:

Quote:

blush.gif

No smoke and passes emissions with flying colors. Go suck dingalling
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

blush.gif

No smoke and passes emissions with flying colors. Go suck dingalling hippy! Just kiddin
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back