Any experienced tire shop guys here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the 60's, tire shops had this thing that went around the circumfrence of the tire. It was pulled tight and air pumped into it to force the sidewalls out to the outer part of the rim so the bead would seat. With the new tire changers all having air blasters, this other tool seems to have disappeared. However, I have my own changer and balancer as we do a lot of tires. Sometimes, we need that tool as the air blaster just won't help. Today my son brought home 7 tires on rims that had been on a mobile home frame for years and had gone flat. We got all of them to take air but one and we just could not get it to seat. Sometimes with a new tire, I have to force the bead on one side of the rim with the bead breaker just to get the tire mounted. Anyone know a source for the tool I need?

I just found what I was looking for. It's called an Adjustable Pneumatic Bead Expander/Seater. Gemplers has them for $180.00, but that is way more than I expected to pay for one.

Justs found the size I need for $32.99. Much more acceptable. I may try the ratchet strap first. Thanks.

Take out the valve stem core to get more compressed air flow through the valve stem body. Once the beads are seated let the air back out and install the core.

You can use a squirt of starting fluid and a match, but some skill is involved with that. It's really magical when you do it right. ;-)

It'd probably cost you less than $5 to have your local tire guy inflate it for you. The tire machines have a set of air nozzles that blow air from the bottom side to inflate the tire with a burst of air flow. A decent leak blower can do the same thing.

Quote:

Take out the valve stem core to get more compressed air flow through the valve stem body. Once the beads are seated let the air back out and install the core.

You can use a squirt of starting fluid and a match, but some skill is involved with that. It's really magical when you do it right. ;-)

It'd probably cost you less than $5 to have your local tire guy inflate it for you. The tire machines have a set of air nozzles that blow air from the bottom side to inflate the tire with a burst of air flow. A decent leak blower can do the same thing.

I have one of those tire changers with the 4 nozzle air blaster, and removing the core before changing a tire is SOP. The whole point of buying my own changer and balancer is so I don't have to pay the tire shop to do it.

Quote:

Quote:

I have one of those tire changers with the 4 nozzle air blaster, and removing the core before changing a tire is SOP. The whole point of buying my own changer and balancer is so I don't have to pay the tire shop to do it.

Well, by all means do what makes you happy, I certainly wouldn't want to interject economics into your hobby if it gives you pleasure.
cheers.gif

I would just add that on most of the new tire installs I do, the valve stem is pulled out of the rim and replaced with a new one. They're cheap compared to everything else (tire, tire changing machine, air compressor, etc) and they are very suseptable to UV degradation; particularly with modern long-life tires.

Have fun!
grin.gif

Walter,
Yes, I have a supply of new valve stems and a puller. We(my son and I) replace them when ever they look old. But I go through a new set of tires every year on my Jeep and find the stems last for several tire changes. BTW, I live on a farm and the tire shop is 10 miles away. It's not just the money, it's the time and driving distance too. I wish I had bought a changer and balancer 20 years earlier. They would have paid for themselves several times over by now. Same story with the plug kit.

What we use sometimes at my shop is a bicycle tire tube. They actually make something sold specifically for this purpose, but I found out that the bicycle tube works just the same. When I get a tire that is hard to seat both beads at the same time, I will seat the bottom bead (just push the bottom bead down on the wheel) then lube up the tube real good (you can't have too much). Stick the tube around the wheel to take up the space between the top bead of the tire and the sealing area of the tire. This will allow the air to flow into the tire, and not over it. Once the bead begins to seat, quickly pull the tube out. It takes some practice to do it properly, but once you get it, it makes those jobs so much easier.

The Donut that the tube replaces is more solid and gets pushed out on its own for tires that do not make the gap. The inflatable strap that goes on the outside of the tire SUCKS. Modern radials I find tend to crush well before and meaningful flaring of the beads occurs. The Well lubed Donut is best followed by the new Bead Cannons. Those are an air tank that adds blast air to the top bead as well as the bottom. Sometimes seen on Unique Whips.

Quote:

The Donut that the tube replaces is more solid and gets pushed out on its own for tires that do not make the gap. The inflatable strap that goes on the outside of the tire SUCKS. Modern radials I find tend to crush well before and meaningful flaring of the beads occurs. The Well lubed Donut is best followed by the new Bead Cannons. Those are an air tank that adds blast air to the top bead as well as the bottom. Sometimes seen on Unique Whips.

Well I just ordered one of the inflatable straps yesterday. I guess I shall see. The man at the Standard station used one successfully when I was a youngster back in the 60's, but that may have beem pre-radial ply tires. If it doesn't work, I guess I just write if off as a $90.00 mistake and find a bicycle tube. Thanks for the input.

As ewetho stated, the band around center of tire will not work on radials. Still have my old one handy for use on the few bias tires that come in. Another useful product is the thick bead sealant/lube products. With them you fill ENTIRE GAP between rim and bead with goop (it's really super thick soap, even though it looks and feels like wheel bearing grease {by the way, NEVER use petroleum products for this}). When air is added bead pushes up, displacing soap and most can be returned to original container till next use.

old saying is that the good l.o.r.d. looks out for fools and small childeren,,,better hope you're one or the other when using starting fluid to seat beads!

Also, you stated tires were off mobile home axle, these are usually 14.5" diameter and all I've ever seen were bias ply, so band should work.

Bob

Quote:

As ewetho stated, the band around center of tire will not work on radials. Still have my old one handy for use on the few bias tires that come in. Another useful product is the thick bead sealant/lube products. With them you fill ENTIRE GAP between rim and bead with goop (it's really super thick soap, even though it looks and feels like wheel bearing grease {by the way, NEVER use petroleum products for this}). When air is added bead pushes up, displacing soap and most can be returned to original container till next use.

old saying is that the good l.o.r.d. looks out for fools and small childeren,,,better hope you're one or the other when using starting fluid to seat beads!

Also, you stated tires were off mobile home axle, these are usually 14.5" diameter and all I've ever seen were bias ply, so band should work.

Bob

Thanks everyone for the information. Those mobile home wheels were just a one time thing. My son brought them home to air up for his boss. They don't have any tire equipment at the farm impliment shop where he works. I have not opened the package on the bead expander I bought and several of you say they don't work on radials so I think I'll return it. We seldom change any tires that are not radials. Most of the tires that we have trouble with are new tires that are a bit narrow for my 7" rims. Many of these tires are made for 5.5" or 6" rims and the way the new tires come out of the mold, they just don't want to seat on those wide rims. Those things that are an air tank that blast a huge amount of air into the tire all at once are around $275 to $325 IIRC. That's more than I want to spend so I'll either get a bicycle tube or look for the donuts. Thanks much.

I'd really suggest giving concideration to bead mounting paste. Nearly any tire service supplier can supply, usually as a house brand. Price is very economical, excellent for sealing rusty farm wheels, and can be scraped off and reused when applied as a gap filler to inflate tubless tires.

If you can't find it PM me and I will try to send a link.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back