Installed another set of Dunlop SP A2s today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That probally makes 15 sets I've used on mine and family/friend's cars. This time was for my MiL's A6, to replace the same tire in a Plus-half size. They are like butter. Quiet and smooth right out-of-the-box. Pretty gummy and decent wear. I don't know how many miles her old set had, but they are shot, summer "smokers" now. Every single person I've installed thses tires for has wanted them again, inc MiL. She really needs a longer-wearing tire on her budget, but I had this new set sitting here that I bought for a car that I never put on the road. Anyway, snow traction is second or equal to Conti Extreme...for best a/s tire I've used. If you are considering these for a soft/quiet/good in snow+rain application...hit it.

Is this the older A2 or newer A2 Plus? Have you tried both and are they fairly similar in performance?

They are Plus. Not enough driving to say anything on how the 2 compare. It would be a bit of hair-splitting, if they say they are improved, well...I'll go along.

I've gone through 3 sets of the original D60A2 on my previous 90 Legend Coupe, and I liked them a lot. And I look forward to trying them again when these Michelin Pilot HX wear out in another 35k (I got 55k on the original set and an awesome deal $90/each on ebay on a new set, Tire Rack wants $180) on my 2001 CL-S. Or maybe I should go with a real rain tire instead of an A/S because I never see snow, but plenty of rain in winter. At my rate, I'll need new tires 39 months from now.

approved.gif

Of course, SOMEONE will be along, Auto, armed with "facts". stats, and skidpad methodology to "prove" that the SportA2 Plus is a piece of kay-rapp.

Should be along any minute..
smirk.gif

Funny thing about all-seasons. I have little use for more grip on dry and wet...braking or whatever. I somehow manage not to spin out in dry and just slow down a lil in wet. When I DO NEED extra grip is in cold/wet and snow...funny...that's exactly what good all-seasons offer. More grip when conditions offer the least, not more grip when conditions offer adequate grip for normal driving. Duh.

Also, drove them again today. Perfect for calm drivers. A definate upgrade over typical a/s tires for Camry-Accord people...maybe even Lexus or Mercedes. Acura/Audi/BMW...might want more of a HPAS tire. This set is for my 65 year-old MiL on her A6 wagon. She drives 100mph and plugs it into turns. Never looks at speed limit signs either. Normal tire shop Kelly/General junk would not work for her...she has no idea how bad those tires are and is literally spoiled by the Dunlops.

What area in the snow belt are you? Over here in south-west ontario, we get little snow. Something that convinced me not to buy dedicated winter tires anymore (did that for our 99 Civic), when it is time to replace the tires on our new 2006 Civic.

Can you believe someone had the nurve to put Eagle RS-A on the 2006+ Civic in Canada and called it an all season tire! This tire has a DOT 260 rating, almost as soft as my Kumho ECSTA MX autocross tires! These, i'm afraid, will turn to skates on snow, let alone ice. We drive to Montreal a couple times a year and am afraid the RS-A will be the weakest link in a freak snow/ice storm known to hit London, Toronto, Montreal...

+1. My RS-As slip and slide on wet pavement, ever since new. I couldn't imagine getting much traction in snow/ice with them.

With poor oem tires, don't be ashamed to wear the fronts down in summer and toss them away or store them in favour of a new set of better tires for winter. I have some Pilot HX here, new condition, that I could have used this winter. No way, they su k. For $140 I got 2 ASX and will just use the HX in summer some other time. I know it's a waste of money to store expensive tires, $200/ea in this case for the HX, but money well spent.

Again, RS-As bite. I bought a set of new used oem wheels for MiLs A6 with them on. I would not allow her to use them in winter. Mom had some on her Passat a long time ago, same deal.

A good plan for FWD cars is to just DECIDE to buy 2 new tires for front every winter. Rotate F>>>R at that time or whatever time allows you to wear out a pair by Fall. Worthwhile expense.

Quote:

A good plan for FWD cars is to just DECIDE to buy 2 new tires for front every winter. Rotate F>>>R at that time or whatever time allows you to wear out a pair by Fall. Worthwhile expense.

approved.gif

Yeah, except for starters, I have to buy 4 Sport A2 Plus' to kick off Life After Khumo. The 722 OEM Khumo is THE WORST tire I ever drove on except for some 80K Michelins my Pop put on his Caddy years ago. A bathtub stopper is grippier rubber than those Michelins and these Khumo 722s.

In the rain, these Khumos are intolerable. Plus, after a lousy 25K, they're nearly shot (80% even with 7500 mile rotations), make funny sounds rolling down the road, and are starting to make funny vibes at 65-75.. They have mushy, weenie sidewalls, too.

Enough with the candy-coating..
laugh.gif

I had a set of the Sport A2s on my Wife's Honda, great traction and cornering. I opted not to use them again because they were shot after 40,000 miles.

SPA2s are great for normal drivers who want the best price/performance...maybe just the best performance because they do grip like crazy. What I'm also saying is light cars that do not have a lot of noise supression really benefit from these tires. They just make the overall ride a whole grade of car better. Seriously, tires and oil are the two "custom" things on someone's car that makes it different or better than the next identical car. Dunlop A2s are something that makes an Accord or Camry a much better car than new (w/oem tires)....at a very normal price point.

btw- I took off my ASX after 2-3 weeks because winter is just not happening. I can save them for next winter.

My cavasmear certainly qualifies for not having great noise insulation. Whenever I'm able to get the tires I'll let you know which ones I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back