Ford MotorCraft 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw the insides of a Ford motor from a Crown Vic that was torn down at 200,501 miles that was used for police patrol work. The tear down was done on a vehicle that was wrecked in service. They did 5k changes with MotorCraft filters and the insides of the engine looked very good. There was little wear, no sludge and other than the wreck there the engine was good to-go. Is there anything special about his MotorCraft 5w-20 oil?

Quote:

Is there anything special about his MotorCraft 5w-20 oil?

Yes! It comes in a Ford Motorcraft Bottle instead of a ConocoPhillips Bottle.

I suspect however it would have looked just as good if the same regimen had been followed with Remanufactured 76 15W-40 Fleet (Read HDEO) Oil ala LAPD or Castrol GTX 10W-30.

The reality is most of the problems blaimed on oils are engine condition problems. ie Illinois blew up a bunch of 4.6L Fords with same 15,000 mi OCI with M1 they used on the LT1 Chevy because cops never checked the oil and ran them to low. Sludge is often caused by simple neglect, bad thermostat, or coolant leak, etc.

Nice to see a positive report on Motorcraft 5W-20 in a 200K mile engine. Based on no mention of varnish or staining, the oil must be doing a respectable job of keeping itself & the engine surfaces clean.

As GeneK mentioned, alot of factors come into play, such as the amount of maintenance and the driving cycle.

Any way of determining if this patrol car saw alot of higher speed, freeway duty?

The guy that acutally bought the salvage talked to the head of maintenance for the police department and was told that this vehicle saw lots of highway patrol duty and was either running fast down the road or idling at the side of the road. It was driven two and three shifts a day by who ever showed up to pick up the car. He said that the department made a big deal about checking the oil and tires and other maintenance items frequently. The car did show signs of wear. The brake pedal had one edge worn off and the seat belt for the driver was brand new. Other driver controls had colors rubbed off and looked generally worn down. There was also two unopened quarts of MotorCraft 5w-20 oil in the trunk along with some rags, a flashlight, fuses and some tape, a screw driver and some light bulbs.

I guess that in this case, under these conditions the 5w-20 oil did well.

Quote:

Most folks who keep oil in vehicles use alot. This one was probably either leaking it - or consuming it.

Yes, the 4.6L usually uses a Qt every 1500-3500 mi in Pursuit use. This is why I noted the problems IL had with the 15,000 mi OCI in the 4.6L.

Quote:

The log book showed it was burning about 2 quarts per 5k miles, in the last 50k miles.

As noted above that is normal for the 4.6L. If I remember correctly Ford found they averaged a Qt every 2700 mi in Pursuit use.

This MotorCraft 5w-20 must be at least a very good motor oil. I've always heard that 5w-20 is good but not for a big V8 that is subject to some tough duty. That could be wrong. If a 5w-20 is a good quality oil, it's viscosity at 150C would be just as about as good as an average 5w-30 at the same temp.

Quote:

I've always heard that 5w-20 is good but not for a big V8 that is subject to some tough duty.

That would depend on the V-8. It seems to do very well on most of the OHC engines that were designed for Energy Conserving 5W-30. These used to shear to 20 weight anyway.There have been some very good results in the 6.8 OHC V-10 in Heavy Towing.

I would have some reservations about older OHV, Carbed, flat tappet engines such at the 4.9L 300ci Ford I6 with its fuel dilution, flat tappets and gear-driven cam. I currently run 5W-40 Rotella T Synthetic in this engine. Previously I ran Delo 400 10W-30.

The camshafts were miked today and the lobes are right on new car specs. The mains and rods looked like new and the rings were in great condition. The only problem was that the car got trashed in an accident before the engine could get used up. This MotorCraft 5w-20 looks like a good oil.

That little usage is nothing for that high mileage. I'm using the sister-Kendall in a couple of vehicles now. I got my eye on buying some Motorcaft Diesel oil in 10W-30 I found at Murrays Auto Parts. May try that one next in my 180K Caravan beater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back