Rating 5 speed transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the setup in my dad's 98 Camaro. It was accurate, average length throws, and just felt well-suited to the car. My 01 Honda Civic in stock form was too light and throws were too long, but a short shifter took care of that. My 07 Accord V6's 6 speed is heavier feeling, probably my favorite of any recent Honda I've driven.

The nicest shifter I ever used was in a 1989 Acura Legend Coupe. My 86 Civic Si had a pretty good one too. The surprising one was my 90 Sentra...buttery smooth and had a very positive feel to it. My 91 Talon TSi was one of the worst I've seen....no weight in the shifter and very stubborn linkage. My 78 Monza was like a wrench in a bucket of shrapnel.

1980 Ford Fairmont, inline 6, 4 speed stick. Awful. Gear spacing was not matched for the torque curve of the engine, huge space between 2nd and 3rd. Plastic shift forks kept breaking. OTOH clutch had good feel and the car had enough torque to start off easy. My Dad's car, learned to drive in it.

1989 mazda 323, horrible clutch chatter would come and go. Stick shift was okay until the clutch completely exploded and wouldn't release. In the weeks leading up to this the shifter would occasionally develop extreme heaviness. Junked car due to other creeping issues.

Saturn s-cars... ok clutches, sloppy cables lead to sloppy shifters... not inspiring.

Dodge dakotas... awful. Declutch then wait 5 seconds before shifting into reverse, says owner's manual. Without waiting, one gets a nice crunch as the shafts spin down. Hard to grab a parking spot with someone behind you when you wait this long.

1987 mazda b2000... nice. Stiff in the cold with the gear oil but otherwise positive feeling.

hyundai accent... light shifter with pretty positive feel but the pivot point is further rearward than the shifter handle. Wierd sensation.

My 1st to 2nd shift on my AccentGT (which is the same tranny as your Accent) is pretty long, but smooth. The rest of the gears are a fairly short throw. This tranny seems to almost "pull" the shifter into the right position with no effort.

I've seen some truly short-throw trannies that had to be shifted to precise points in the "H", or you'd miss and grind a pound. Short throws are nice I suppose, but on the street, it doesn't matter.

Quote:

Dodge dakotas... awful. Declutch then wait 5 seconds before shifting into reverse, says owner's manual. Without waiting, one gets a nice crunch as the shafts spin down. Hard to grab a parking spot with someone behind you when you wait this long.

That's not really uncommon to have to wait a little for that. I always stop the tranny in another gear with synchros before engaging reverse on any vehicle anyway. I usually don't need to though except when starting from idle, since I always leave it in gear until I'm stopped if I know I'm going to be switching gears at the stop, so that the tranny is completely stopped when I make the gear change.

I really like the 6-speed shift in a Nissan 350Z, superb short throws. Best FWD is an Audi/VW transmission.

Camry = #@$%!. You never know what gear you're in.

I love my Camaro T5 with the B&M Shifter, it's bolt-action accurate but requires a slight bit of manhandling
smile.gif

Best is my 91 BMW 318i... smooth, easy, nice. Geared so that I can shift less in traffic, yet it still gets up when I want it ti.

My saab 9-3 also has a smooth shifter, I like it a lot.

Our acura integra's shifter is very smooth, but the clutch is TERRIBLE. Driving a friend's integra confirmed it.

I have not been too crazy about the jetta shifter, nor the shifter in our 3000GT VR-4 which is overly short and too cramped (6-sp). Plus the slutch is too heavy in that car as well - worth it though when you get on the boost and unleash 320hp.

The ford focus has a suprisingly good shifter/clutch combo - very smooth and light.

JMH

Quote:

Quote:

That's not really uncommon to have to wait a little for that. I always stop the tranny in another gear with synchros before engaging reverse on any vehicle anyway. I usually don't need to though except when starting from idle, since I always leave it in gear until I'm stopped if I know I'm going to be switching gears at the stop, so that the tranny is completely stopped when I make the gear change.

Kia Sportages had an excellent Getrag gearbox with a reverse gear synchro. Never an issue with spin down or gear clash. Also had an excellent clutch. Too bad the tranny was attached to the world's sloppiest shifter. Huge amounts of play but somehow you always managed to find the right gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back