Lucas cylinder lube/ injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on using it as a preventitive measure? Say a bottle every 5-6 K. miles to keep the injectors clean. Would Seafoam be better?

Thanks for knowledgeable replys Gents.

Why such frequency? Aren't you using top-tier gasoline with good detergents already?

I would only consider doing it once every 6 to 12 mnths period (I typically over 22~26kkms/annual). Also: I would only seriously consider using good quality OTC cleaner such as Techron, Regain, or FP. Seafoam is ok from what I've been told but we here north of 49th don't get this particular product.

So far, I have mantained/service many, many cars that have gone past 200k mark and they are still running strong and pass aircare like a charm (my Mazda B6 with original cat passed like a new car!)

Sorry for not making it more clear:

Since the first reading of Lucas lube additives (the one that claimed to helps motor oil "climb"), I've been really antsy about their products.

I would go with FP instead,and personally I do not believe in the need for upper cylinder lubrication or similar.

My 2c's worth. YMMV.

Q.

Quote:

Does UCL really lube the upper cylinders....

or is that just marketing hog wash ?

Good Question! Upper Cylinder Lube is the motor oil's job in a well maintained motor.

My question is does this product keep the injectors clean? Or is Seafoam better.

This is the average gas mileage for my '05 Mazda3 2.3L I4, 5-spd. manual trans. I was using FP60 but switched to Lucas UCL around the end of May just to compare. I think I'll keep using Lucas since it's cheaper and available at AutoZone around the block. Plus, my only UOA from my Mazda came back with 0 flaws so UCL had no ill affect on it like some people say it does.

• Month | AVG MPG
    -- w/FP60 --
    Jan | 29
    Feb | 28
    Mar | 28
    Apr | 31
    -- w/Lucas UCL --
    May | 31
    Jun | 30
    Jul | 32
    Aug | 32
    Sep | 33

UOA: '05 Mazda3 / 7500K mi. /Pennzoil Platinum 5w20

Last edited:
Ive been suing lucaas as often as i can. Ive already used almost everything on the market! Seafoam is good in your oil and intake but for gas, its on the weak side. Same as MMO. Ive foud lucas to wrk very effectivley. My ca alwasy runs much quieter and better with lucas UCL,a dn dosnt make my exhaust smell slaty or gasy. It does in fact work. And yes, try and use it every tankful, i forget the ratio, but i think its like 1 oz. per gallon. REALLY nifty an cool stuff!!

I found the best ratio for my car to be between 3.5-4.5 oz per 15gal tank. The bottle says 2-3oz per 10gal (based on "32oz quart treats 100gal", "5.25oz bottle treats up to 25gal").

i use lucas every other tank full but i think im gonna use it every tank from now on, i can feel the difference in idle with and without lucas.

I use the UCL in every tank using about half the little bottle per 10 gallons. The UCL is an oil based product so im sure it does something to lube the upper cylinder walls. I have noticed better MPG and less oil consuption. I would not beleve that the lucus UCL would leave any deposits since it is a cleaner/lube on the ring packs and chambers. I do beleve using this product keeps your rings clean and free from sticking from carbon build up that is a by product of burnt fuel.

I have been running UCL every tank with about a 6-10% increase in fuel economy, better startup behavior, quieter idling, and no ill effects. I am not sure if it lubricates the cyl, but it does seem to lube and make my injectors quieter. I have a gallon, a quart, and a little bottle. I refill the little bottle with the quart and keep both in my car - it's inexpensive, and it pays for itself, and it seems to keep my exhaust pipes pretty clean too.

I run Sunoco fuels mainly which are not top tier but have the lowest EtOH concentration and seem to run best in my car. I don't believe it does any harm.

My engine has a couple bad lifters(I think both for Cyl 1) that result in a constant tapping. I am ordering replacment lifters but this week I got interested in seeing if lucas could quiet my engine down as well. Normally my engine LOVES a half bottle of Redline per tank, makes it really smooth at idle and strong upon accelerating.

I decided to play with megadosing lucas and MMO in combo. I mixed 8 ounces of Lucas with a little over 12 oz of MMO in a 20oz techron bottle and dosed it into the tank(14 gallons). The tapping is somewhat quieter actually! Engine is very quiet now in general, no idea as to why but it is. I think my car believes its a diesel and likes this "wetter" sort of fuel in general.
I dont know about mileage anymore, its always ~20mpg regardless of what I do. Never makes any difference. Startups are also quicker and smoother even in cold temps to.

I've found the smoothest idle to go in this order for products I've tried:

MMO > FP60 > UCL

and its the inverse for possible MPG increase:

UCL > FP60 > MMO

Regane/Techron/SI-1 don't seem to make my idle smoother.

Quote:

I've found the smoothest idle to go in this order for products I've tried:

MMO > FP60 > UCL

and its the inverse for possible MPG increase:

UCL > FP60 > MMO

Regane/Techron/SI-1 don't seem to make my idle smoother.

Surfstar, I like how you described the products used.
I have a question on the 'smoothest idle' part - MMO > FP60 > UCL.
MMO was added to the gas tank in this case, correct?

How about products added to the oil? (ex. MMO > LC20 or LC20 > MMO)

Ken

Yes, that was MMO in the gas at about 4oz/10gal.

I've only added SLOB, VSOT and ARX to my oil...VSOT maybe quieted down the valvetrain. ARX has quieted startup lifter tick.

adding 16oz of Seafoam to the oil today....wish me luck. then 500-1000 miles and change to Valvoline or Castrol HM dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back