Toshiba HIR Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that the Toshiba HIR lights offer much more light than any other bulb, and offer a comparable life span to regular halogen bulbs. I would like to improve the lighting on my Suburban, since I live on a dark country road and there are often many deer crossing. Lighting is very important for my safey.

Are these lights really as good as they seem, or are there any drawbacks? Will they work properly in the stock headlight housings for my '93 Suburban? Are they available for purchase anywhere else other than online?

Any input appreciated.

Quote:

Found the following info:

Standard 9006 halogen (low beam): 1000 lumens, 800 hour rated life $6
Sylvania 9006 Xtravision (low beam): 1060 lumens, 300 hour rated life $10
GE 9006 Nighthawk (low beam): 1150 lumens, 250 hour rated life $14
Toshiba HIR 9006 (low beam): 1800 lumens, 800 hour rated life $27
Sylvania 9006 Silverstar (low beam): 910 lumens, 150 hour rated life $20

http://reviews.ebay.com/quot-Xenon-quot-...T:-1:LISTINGS:6

The above quote was taken from the "Your favorite non-OEM halogen headlight bulb?" thread.

You can only use these bulbs in applications that take the 9006 (lo-beam) and 9005 (hi-beam) std halogen bulbs. The HIR 9012 (lo-beam) and HIR 9011 (hi-beam) bulbs have to be modified somewhat because their upper positioning tab is not the same as that on the 9006 or 9005.

Once modified, these bulbs will work very well in any 9006/9005 lamp. The light output is second only to HID in intensity, thus they work best in projector type lights, or free-form reflector lamps that have a well defined cutoff.

07_12_s.JPG

One thing concerns me about them. Unlike the 9006, they don't have a black coating on the tips. Won't using these bulbs blind oncoming drivers? Will they think I have my brights on?

G-Man-s post #764048 would make a good sticky. Many people have the 9005/9006 combo and could benefit from this info.

Quote:

One thing concerns me about them. Unlike the 9006, they don't have a black coating on the tips. Won't using these bulbs blind oncoming drivers? Will they think I have my brights on?

Virtually all lo-beam lamps that take the 9006 have a built in glare shield that obviates the need for the mask on the bulb. Look through your lens and you'll see what I'm talking about.

NB: Both the bulb mask and the glare shield are there to reduce stray light being reflected back into the driver's field of vision during rain, fog, and snow. They are not intended to reduce glare for oncoming cars.

I'd be really interested to know where you can buy these. If anybody does, please post.

If it means anything, Visteon has been testing these for some time. Osram is looking to resell these in the aftermarket sector. Ford is very interested in them and now so is GM.

By the way the 800 hour life is conservative. Actual testing is showing 800-1000 hours in the lab.

Quote:

I'd be really interested to know where you can buy these. If anybody does, please post.

Scratch that, I just talked to sales and apparently we sold a few to a company that is selling them out there for aftermarket. It's on the up and up. I was just surprised to see them on Ebay. I thought they were bogus.

Quote:

Once modified, these bulbs will work very well in any 9006/9005 lamp. The light output is second only to HID in intensity, thus they work best in projector type lights, or free-form reflector lamps that have a well defined cutoff.

My Suburban has a pretty low tech headlight design, with a smooth reflector and textured glass (plastic). Will this bulbs be okay in my type of lense? My truck does take the 9005/6 lights, so I know they will fit, I am just not sure how well they will work.

Here is a photo of the type of lense my truck has:

[image] http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/4d/f9/07_12_s.JPG [/image]

Quote:

Quote:

My Suburban has a pretty low tech headlight design, with a smooth reflector and textured glass (plastic). Will this bulbs be okay in my type of lense? My truck does take the 9005/6 lights, so I know they will fit, I am just not sure how well they will work.

You can always try them and if you get flashed a lot, you'll know you're putting out too much glare and can go back to stock 9006 bulbs on lo-beam.

Either way, I'd definitely upgrade the hi-beams to the 9011 HIRs.

i just don't see how $27/bulb is worth it.

i'd have to see it in person and need bulbs right then.

Quote:

How come no one offers this OEM? Better profit margin with HID setups?

HID is still the brightest thing going. As good as HIR is, it still isn't up there with the best HID lights.

I don't think you'll see any of the OEMs using HIR bulbs until GE licenses the design to other bulb makers besides Toshiba.

Quote:

Oldswagon. They make projector headlight setups for your 'burb. You can probably find them on ebay.

Just be careful if you go this route. A lot of the aftermarket projector units don't use the 9006 bulb on the lo-beam.

Quote:

Oldswagon. They make projector headlight setups for your 'burb. You can probably find them on ebay.

I saw many of these units on eBay, but I was concerned of the quality of these units. It seems most aftermarket lights these days are more concerned with looks over function. And of course as G-Man states, it may require a different headlight bulb.

Thanks for all the input.

GMAN - you might find the information at Daniel Stern Lighting interesting:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

The new Chryslers have headlamps designed by Hella with unique Hella bulbs. This website shows some interesting Halogen lights that you will see on vehicles soon. My dad's Pacifica has Hella H7 bulbs (one of which burned...) and compared to my cousin's Pacifica with the HIDs, the difference wasn't that drastic. The HID still had that sharpness of the beam and cool whiteness but the H7s weren't far behind.

Bought a pair of 9112 HIR bulbs from Daniel Stern (excellent seller btw)
I am pleased with the light output from these bulbs, and my beam cutoff is pretty good to minimize glare.

Here are some pictures:
img4873sn0.jpg

img4869wi9.jpg

Camera shows more glare, it's not this bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back