best 0w20 / 5w20 synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably have a big sump in that beast, right? The Motorcraft oil seems to do well at a regular OCI
5.4L Ford UOA

The Havoline 5W20 has known to be a very good value also. I've got Amsoil XL 5W20 in my Honda but that is a completely different animal. I also only need 4.5 quarts to fill it.

Quote:

whats the best 0w20 / 5w20 synthetic oil?????

Why do want to spend approximently $8+ for a quart of oil?

Are you keeping the vehicle for 500K?

Any other name brand synthetic - that's more commonly found in stores -- will get you over 300K easy. My floorboard usually rusts thru by 300K .. thanks to Rock Salt Michigan.
smirk.gif

All you really need to get you to a vehicle lifetime of good use is basic synthetic or the suggested syn-blends like Motorcraft and many others.

Quote:

i mainly want log OCI'S due to miles i put on it.....i put 30k a year on it, mainly highway

You are a prime candidate to use used oil analysis. You might get there with Motorcraft or Havoline, but I wouldn't bet my engine on it without a UOA to back that up.

If it were my engine, I would probably use the motorcraft and sample it a 7500 and at 10K just to make sure there was enough TBN left. Your application is easy on the oil so you probably can take a conventional that far. If you want a synthetic, the Amsoil XL is around $4 a quart but it is a Group III and may not really perform that much better than the Motorcraft. The only way you are going to tell is with a UOA. Wish I had a more definitive answer
dunno.gif

Well, you did ask about synthetics. If your wanting to be able to buy it over the counter at Wal-Mart or a parts store then Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, or Castrol Syntec would do the job you are looking for. If you don't mind ordering online, the skys the limit. I'm testing some Royal Purple 5W20 right now in one of my Honda's with the help if Terry Dyson and my butt dyno is impressed so for. Time will tell when we drain it out and test it.

Quote:

Well, you did ask about synthetics. If your wanting to be able to buy it over the counter at Wal-Mart or a parts store then Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, or Castrol Syntec would do the job you are looking for. If you don't mind ordering online, the skys the limit. I'm testing some Royal Purple 5W20 right now in one of my Honda's with the help if Terry Dyson and my butt dyno is impressed so for. Time will tell when we drain it out and test it.

Are you using any additives?

Johnny, sorry I wasnt clear. yes, that question was directed to you. It seems the last few RP UOAs I had seen from Terry's customers all used LC. I was hoping you weren't using any additives so I can see a newer RP 5w20 report.

Quote:

All you really need to get you to a vehicle lifetime of good use is basic synthetic or the suggested syn-blends like Motorcraft and many others.

Or .59/quart dino like I use. Same results, less sunhine up the rear. Thank goodness I'm past the "it's 6 bucks a quart - it must be better" mentality.
beer.gif

I've used M1 0W-20 and 5W-20, and PP 5W-20 in our 04 Element. I liked M1 0W-20 the best...until the M1 Group III spectre rose its ugly head.

By chance PP 5W-20 is in there now, and it been as good...zero consumption, quiet and smooth. I like the price better.

Motorcraft 5W-20 also seems like a great oil for the money and I've used it in friend's cars.

TWBG, the M1 0w-20 could have very well contained Group III. I think XOM has been doing this for awhile. But I also believe that some grades are still all PAO like the 0w-40. I think it varies by the viscosity grade. I too liked the 0w-20 M1 in the Honda. I have the MC in now. Might try the PP 5w-20 also.

For your 2V 5.4L Triton, the MC 5w20 is great and has proven it self with great UOA's. Some folks say that Trop Artic 5w20 (also synthetic blend) is the same as MC. Although I am not sure, I have seen great UOA's with it as well. The nice thing is, Trop Artic is $1.68 a quart at WM.

Well, my Blackstone labs UOA kit just came in the mail. Unfortunately I have already changed my oil. I have decided to try to do a 10K OCI. I will have the kit sent back when I change my oil again to see what the results are. I am using 4 quarts PP 5w-20 and 2.5 quarts of PP 10w-30. My winter blend.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back