Windshield washer fluid with TEFLON!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the use? Canadian Tire has their own Motomaster branded windshield washer fluid with Teflon. I can't see it being any benefit really.

Teflon can only be bonded to a surface in a vaccum under heat. It is not going to do anything for you simply marketing hype!

For winter wash, I find all of them just fine. The lower temperature rated stuff may have a performance edge. For summer use, by far and away the best wash fluid that I have ever used is the green stuff sold by Esso as an Esso-branded product.

John.

Adhesion and bonding are two different things. Teflon can be applied with a carrier agent that it has been bonded with for lubrication properties. So teflon technically could adhere to a surface but not be bonded. It will just shear off quicker. Teflon dry film lube spray is used in many aviation applications and teflon is used in my firearms lubes. Both are not permanent applications and do require frequent reapplication.

In relation to the washer fluid, I could not comment as I do not know the product, the design intent or how it is marketed.

Hootbro

Also note that there are different kinds of Teflon. The original kind required high heat to bond, while some of the newer kinds have different characteristics.

But as others have found, the teflon windshield washer fluid hasn't done anything special for me.

Where does it go after it's washed off the windshield? The highway? Imagine all that teflon out there to slide around on!
wink.gif

Teflon is a white solid. If there was enough on your windshield to make a difference, you wouldn't be able to see.

The real difference of course is that it has TEFLON! It's a cool buzzword! Teflon makes everything better. Put some on your windshield. Put some in your oil filter. Heck, put some in your coffee. I'm sure some NASCAR driver has a Teflon sticker on his car somewhere. If that doesn't prove it belongs in your washer fluid, I don't know what does. And who would miss the chance to enjoy a smooth, relaxing glass of Teflon after a hard day at work?

Teflon: It's what's for dinner.

More expensive, but better IMO, is the Rain-X washer fluid. Eventually, the water WILL bead off your glass. It's just not as fast as applying the Rain-X repellant directly.

Quote:

More expensive, but better IMO, is the Rain-X washer fluid. Eventually, the water WILL bead off your glass. It's just not as fast as applying the Rain-X repellant directly.

I've found the Rain-X washer fluid to be pretty cheap at Wal Mart.

If you want the absolute best foul-weather vision, apply a thick coat of Rain-X and let it bake in the sun for a few hours. I've used it on every car I've owned (16) and usually need to re-apply it every year, but for kicks I let it bake on my 93 Sundance out in the Florida sun for 9 hours while I was at work. It was a royal b-i-t-c-h to get off, but I kept that car for 4 years and never had to re-apply it. The baking process seemed to make the difference, and it was well worth it. Caution: DO NOT get it on the rubber windshield seals, as this stuff applied full-strength degrades rubber in a hurry. Fill your reservior with Rain-X washer fluid and drive happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back