Tire pressure monitoring system resetting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last winter I bought some used rims and snow tires with tire pressure sensors for my Aviator. When they were installed at the tire shop, they had to scan the new sensors so they would work with my vehicle. The rims had a couple of small bends in the edge, but the mechanics said it wasn't enough to worry about. Everything was fine.
In spring when it was time to change back to the all seasons, I had it done at the dealer while I was getting the oil changed. A tire pressure sensor fault alarm came on meaning the sensors needed scanning. The dealer didn't want to do it, but I pushed the issue and they did it, and everything was fine.
Today I went for an oil change, the winter tires were back on, and the sensor fault alarm was on too. So I asked them to scan the sensors, and they wouldn't. They said they need to get further into it. When I asked the guy at the desk to have them scanned, he said they did it and they wouldn't reset. I sat in the waiting room and had full view of the truck, and they surely did not scan them. I have seen it done and know what it looks like.
On Monday I will go to the shop that installed the winter tires last time and get them to do it. I'm hoping they will reset ok. If they do, what should I do with the dealership? What's the best way to prove to them I was right?
Also, is there a scanner I can buy at a reasonable price, and reset them myself? I have seen the $400 ones, and that's not very practical for me, but since I was so angry I nearly had a stroke, hmmm.
And I assume it's normal for a different set of sensors to need resetting when the tires are changed. Am I right?
Our gov't is considering making winter tires mandatory, because of all the people running baldies in winter. And these sensor systems will mandatory starting in 2008 vehicles, so I read, so just imagine the problems at change over time!
Any ideas on how to do this myself? Thanks!

I'm glad you were able to find the info.

Is it just a dash light that comes on? I'd take the gauge cluster apart and remove it. If it makes noise, those devices are easy to remove too.
grin.gif

It's a light, a chime, and a message on the dash.
The light and chime go away, leaving the message on.
I don't want to tear into my dashboard, and disabling it is probably going to become illegal.
It only took 5 minutes to train the sensors, and all is well.

I agree that training the sensors yourself was certainly the best option in this case. But if you were to run a second set of rims for your winter tires (which I do), what would a set of those sensors cost? That's where I might be considering "dash adjustments", like I do with seat belt chimes.

The "radio frequency" tire pressure sensors are NOT generic by any means--Ford, GM, or otherwise--nor can they be.

Each sensor is a small radio frequency transmitter (like a Local Access Network in a computer network) and has a specific identifier code for it. If each sensor did not have that particular identifier code, the vehicle's computer could not differentiate the location of each sensor nor sort out the readings it was sending from the other similar signals.

Just as with the transponder ignition keys, the sensors all look the same, but their internal codes are different and the computer (in both cases!) must recognize them and "learn" the respective positions.

Whenever the positioning of the sensors (on the vehicle, from tire rotation or a different set of wheels with different sensors in them) is disturbed, if the relearn procedure is not done, then it will set "the code" in the vehicle's computer. A scanner is generally used to reset the sensors and let the computer "relearn" the sensors codes and correlate that to a particular location on the vehicle.

As time progresses, there may be a routine in the Driver Information Center "buttons" to do a relearn of the sensors. I've noticed this on some of the newer GM vehicles I've rented, where it didn't exist previously. Ford and others might be similar for their newer vehicles. If not, then a scanner or some accepted relearn procedure would need ot be used.

On the plus side, the RF sensors are the most accurate system to have, giving specific pressure readings rather than just having the "Check Tire Pressure" readout on the Driver Information Center, with no other information other than that. Other systems that were not RF systems were based on using the anti-lock brake wheel speed sensors to detect wheel speeds that were not the same, side to side, which could allow a 12psi variation from the spec pressure before it would set the message.

Also, I observed (this past summer) that some GM systems will also trigger a "Check Tire Pressure" message if the tire pressure increases above the normal range. Specifically, the Impala 3LT I was driving set that message one day in July. I pulled over and went through the message center to see what the individual pressures were, only to find that one or more tires was above 36psi (the GY RS-As would tolerate up to 45psi, on the sidewall castings). I understand they might have a calibration or "out of range" software reflash for that. That's when I learned that it will set the message for "high" pressure as well as "low" pressure.

It can be an extra thing to deal with, but the RF system is probably what everybody's going to be using to comply with the Fed regulations on tire pressure monitoring systems. Knowing what's going on and why can be a plus in maneuvering through the tire rotation/seasonal wheel change scenarios.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The computer has to be trained as to what sensor to look at. Would hate to have it see the next car overs flat when your are great. So every time you switch wheels you will have to retrain them. This is all that is going on.

If they had trouble getting it to reset (Legitimately) then jack the pressure up to 40PSI to get them to turn on. Then you need that donut shaped magnet. That and the procedure listed on the linked other forum.

If their was a problem they should have quoted you to fix it. It is easy we do it all the time, most of the time as a courtesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back