Redline Racing Oil and Varnish/Engine Deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone that has run the Racing Redline Oil and has torn down there engine tell me if any varnish or deposits were seen anywhere?

Wondering if the straight Racing oil also cleans with out the detergents as in the Regular Redline?

There straight race oil has no detergents in them so it would not be a good idea on a street car.
There street oils are the best out there so I would go with them if you need some detergents.

Do the detergents clean and hold/suspend crud in the oil for removal from filters and eventually draining of the sump?

Does not the main base oil in Redline racing oil clean like the dickens? Or just a superior lube only?

Or are detergents just mean't to clean/dispurse for a longer OCI in the street oil? What does the cleaning???? Detergents or Esters?
crazy.gif

redline's racing oil...tbn 2, 2400ppm zinc, phos 2300ppm, moly 950ppm.
redline's street oil...tbn 7..1400ppm zinc, phos 1300ppm, moly 950 ppm
per dave at redline

Thanks, my questions are mostly trival, and I don't want to bother Dave...it's interesting to see the TBN number difference. I am mostly looking at a way to clean and protect at the same time with an oil additive of superior strength mixed with group II base oils. If I could get a cleaning action, superior film strength and a 5K OCI until the inside of the engine is clean....I would love it. I don't want to AutoRX...just toooooling around
wink.gif

Dispersant additives are designed to hold sludge and other contaminants such as soot in suspension.
Detergents are used primarily to control acids formed by the combustion of impurities found in the fuel. However they have some ability to “wash” the metal surfaces of organic deposits.

If the race oils are changed on a more frequent basis and lack detergents, why the need for even more ZDDP but not moly?

Quote:

Dispersant additives are designed to hold sludge and other contaminants such as soot in suspension.
Detergents are used primarily to control acids formed by the combustion of impurities found in the fuel. However they have some ability to “wash” the metal surfaces of organic deposits.

If the race oils are changed on a more frequent basis and lack detergents, why the need for even more ZDDP but not moly?

Very Good Points, Is Ester considered any of these or are the additives doing these jobs? I understand Ester swells seals.....does it just lube or does it clean too?

If all the above why is RL so loaded with ZDDP compared to the Fuchs Titan GT1, Zinc free synthetic ester oil, but still used in racing. Esters should need less AO AW and detergent additives.

Quote:

If all the above why is RL so loaded with ZDDP compared to the Fuchs Titan GT1, Zinc free synthetic ester oil, but still used in racing. Esters should need less AO AW and detergent additives.

Do not know ask RL, Zinc free oils can have some problems with scuffing and in high load areas flat tappet cam nose is one but again talk to RL. Replacement additives also cost more and do not offer the Oxidation life that ZDDP will.
bruce

According to Roy, ZDDP is still the most proven anti-wear additive out there. My guess would be that many race teams that use RL, need high levels of ZDDP. If you noticed, M1R, Joe Gibb's racing oil etc. all have very high amounts of ZDDP.

Mobile 1 R
Calcium 3024
Magnesium 13
Phosphorus 1399
Zinc 1536
Moly 78
ZDDP still appears more effective than DDP, however still a paradox that RL with a better base oil requires more aw and ao than M1R.

Which Mobil 1R are you talking about. The one that the public buys or the many other formulas used in different forms of racing.

Yes,you can get deposits on racing engines using Redline. All the aircooled cars will get a little varnish on the heads, and on the underside of the pistons.

We went inside one of my racing engines the previous year. This think has (then) 3,800 race miles on the clock (and 45,000 total miles); 380 HP from 3.5 litres at 8,500 RPMs. It has had a steady diet of M1, RL and AMSoil of 5W-40 weights, changed after each race weekend and never more than 3000 street miles. Track temperatures were generally in the 103dF range ambient, with water temps in the 225dF range and oil temps in the 265dF range. The interior of the engine was absolutely spotless, including the back sides of the pistons (the pistons have oil squiters).

Why would one company make an oil with detergents and one without? (M1 R vs RL for example)

Sludge and deposit build up is not a problem for Redline oil in a race car. Redline is pretty good at dissolving/suspending these particles with its ester base stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back