Buell Ulysses: Rotella 15W/40 - 2500 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first UOA was with Chevron Delo 15W/40 (1250 miles) and the copper and silver were high, but Blackstone said it was probably from breaking in a new engine.

Now my bike has over 7500 miles, and I went 2500 miles on Rotella 15W/40, but my copper and silver went up! Aluminum and iron look good. The bike is stock, and it does have an oil cooler. Do I have a problem?

xb12x2wm5.gif

looks about the same as my OA dosent it? I had 3,400 miles or so on the Syn3. I just sent a sample of my latest oil with 5,000 miles, redline 20w-50
I am expecting the worst as I changed my riding habits since the last OA. I ride the bike to and from work only 5-8 miles each way. before I would only take it out on the week ends usualy and ride at least 12 miles each way or longer

I recall reading somewhere on here that Buell UOA's can contain silver normally due the metal being used in the engine - possibly in and around the crank shaft? Can't remember for sure. Somebody might chime in with more precise information but you can check other Buell UOA's.

John.

I cannot find any other UOAs for Buells. I posted one a few months ago, and jkhawaii posted one too. Even Blackstone said mine was the first Buell 1203cc sample they had. I do not know what is normal.

jk- what was the silver on your OA?

Hmmm... Perhaps it was a Sportster engine? I could have sworn it was a Buell, though. Maybe it wasn't in a UOA thread. Sorry that I cannot be more specific.

John.

Buell uses silver in the rod bearings, Harley does not. How hard is it to drain the swing arm completely? Maby Iron and Silver layered down low in the swing arm and not being totaly removed on an oil change. Just a guess. DaveJ

I replied to your PM AZ. 0ppm silver
my buell is a 04, before the silver plated bearings were used... I am not sure if it is the crank roller bearings or the cam bearings, but the cam bearings are a copper or bronze material

OK, thanks everyone. I do not think the silver and copper are a problem yet, so I will test again in 2500 miles and post the results.

Here is an update on my Buell. I have been using Rotella T 15w40 for 15,000 miles, with OCI of 2500 miles. My bike is stock, and I use the OEM filter. Most of these last 2500 miles were in the Phoenix area during the summer.

xb12xuoa17500ag6.jpg

Shot at 2007-10-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back