Tire Recommendation for 01 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother needs to replace the Michelins on his 01 Accord. He doesn't really care for the Michelins. What would you guys recommend as a decent tire for him to check out, and where to get them? Most of his driving is on the expressways, about 20,000 miles/year?

Check out the Yokohama AVS series, replaced Michelins on my friend's Accord with them, the grip went up considerably, no more squals on corners and the noise level has gone down too.

Which Michelin tires is he replacing? It's not the OE Energy MXV4 Plus is it?
shocked.gif
If so, how many miles did they last?
Are the Bridgestone Turanza tires still around? They were highly recommended on several forums & at TireRack when I was looking many months ago.
I bought the Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus. They are pretty good but a little noisier than the original tires. I believe they are a good value tire. BTW, the word value isn't used to cheapen the tire in this instance.

Quote:

My brother needs to replace the Michelins on his 01 Accord. He doesn't really care for the Michelins. What would you guys recommend as a decent tire for him to check out, and where to get them? Most of his driving is on the expressways, about 20,000 miles/year?

Assuming that your brother's Michelins are/were the 195/65-15s that came OEM on the car, he will find a wider selection of options by "Plus 0" sizing to a 205/60-15. Among the 205/60-15 options is one genuine bargain: the Dunlop SP Sport 01, a German-designed and -made tire that was developed as an OEM tire for the Audi S4 (the factory hot-rod version of the Audi A4), and for the BMW 745i, at the time of development, BMW's top luxury sedan.

At TireRack.com, a 205/60-15 Dunlop SP Sport 01 sells for $18/tire less than a 195/65-15 Michelin MXM4 Plus.

Quote:

The Bridgestone RE 950 was a tire I dearly loved. I believed it's been replaced by the 960...check it out.

I've got the RE960AS in a different size and speed rating. I find it to be a really smooth tire, although I haven't been able to try it in . My car is a Subaru Impreza WRX and the tires are in the stock 205/55-R16 size. Mine are W speed rated so there may be some differences in construction/materials compared to the H speed rated 195/65-R15 version. Another tire in stock size for the Accord is the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, which goes for about the same price as the other tires mentioned. The Bridgestone Potenza G009 seems to be a similar tire for that application.

Sometimes I don't get the difference between different sized tires of the same model. Sometimes they might share the same tread pattern, but there must be differences that can account for different speed/traction ratings. Sometimes the same tire model is sold in the same size with different speed ratings.

Hard call unless the guy says what he wants in a tire. Kumho Solus, ASX, Yokohama H4S, TRZ, Bridgestone G-009, Dunlop SPA2 come to mind. Taking a shot in the dark, he would not be dissapointed with the TRZ, extreme wear great in rain, nice ride and handling at a modest price. 205/60-15 is a must-do. A larger tires will carry the weight better, handle and wear better too.

I recently drove my sisters A4 that she replaced some decent Michelin's with Kumho. I was very pleasantly surprised with the tires called Kumho Solus which is a very comfortable touring tire with a perforance edge. The price is very inexpensive.

I replaced the OEM Michelins on my Accord with Toyo Proxes and have been pleased with them. Reasonably quiet and much better wet weather traction than the Michelins.

I have an '01 Accord also (2.3L).

I got 80K (mostly interstate) miles from my OE Michelin MXV4+s. As the miles show, this was a really long wearing tire and very smooth 'til the end, if the surface was in good repair. Any rough or irregular surfaces and these tires would get quite noisy. I didn't care for the wet traction either, but they stayed smooth til the end with only 2 balancings in that time.

At replacement time, I went with Bridgestone Turanza LS-Hs. These had much better wet traction and noticeably less noise on smooth and irregular surfaces. A bit pricy, but I enjoyed them.

Since then I've gone cheap, but I'm back in the Michelin family. I've gotten my BF Goodrich T/A touring Hs from Sams club. Nice tire, nice price, nice warranty and good wet traction.

Just have him search the Tirerack info database. Lots of new choices and opinions out there.

He's got the MXV4+ right now, and has put almost 40K miles on them, and estimates that they may be good for another 5-10K. He's not very impressed with their wet road traction.

Brother replaced the OEM Bridgestones on his car wtih Toyo Proxes TPT and very satisfied. I've driven his car a few times and they are definitely good tires for wet and dry. The ride is decent also.

I just found out that his current tires are actually 205/65 X 15, V rated, on 6.5 X 15 steel rims. So, does that mean he can replace it with a 215-60 without causing any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back