Aftermarket injectors for Cummins diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has a 2005 Dodge Cummins Diesel with the 6spd NV5600 transmission. He makes his own biodiesel and wants to start bombing his truck. He runs nothing but %100 biodiesel through it. I am just wondering if any of you have some recommendations for the best injectors for him to purchase? TIA

Why do you want to replace the injectors? The stock injectors will work fine for most people. A modified CP3 pump would be first on my list of fuel system modifications. What kind of chip/programmer/fuel box is he running? First thing would be a chip. Before any of this I would install an guages, an intake and exhaust as this will allow him to better support the additional power he wants to make.

Thanks guys, 1040 all I know is he wants to replace the injectors because he eventually wants to add the chip and maybe another turbo and things like that. Right now the truck is completely stock except for part of the exhaust thats missing
smile.gif
. But at some point he wants to chip it and all the good stuff. Thanks MD I have looked at Smarty but have not looked at f1diesel, and the other link is not working but I can do a google search for that and im sure something will come up. Thanks again!

A good set of injectors for that truck will run upwards of 2300 dollars. The stock injectors are usually good for around 400hp depending on what programing you are using (chip). Like I said above, guages first, then intake and exhaust, then a chip and then the big dollar stuff like pumps and injectors.

You don't want to just throw a set of injectors in an otherwise stock truck as it will create problems and reduce the longevity of the engine. First you need to have more air in and out which an intake and exhaust kit will do. The chip will also bump the power up and will be ready when the injectors are installed.

You might want to check out Dynomite Diesel Performance and DSP, both companies have really good injectors. I'm not sure if they have a website, but H&H Diesel Service is Fife Washington has been doing custom high performance work for me for a number of years. They just finished a pump and injectors for a Big Cam III Cummins I'm working on. Also, Industrial Injection Service in Salt Lake builds good stuff. I have a set of HEUI injectors from them I'm running in my pickup. I've used both H&H and Industrial and have been happy with both outfits.

I would do this order:

Gauges

Intake

Smarty

Exhaust

Clutch (http://www.southbendclutch.com/dodge_catalog.html)

Turbo(s)

Injectors

I'm not one to talk someone out of what they want to do, but I have to agree that ths stock injectors are going to be just fine for what you want to do for a long, long time. The biggest thing to remember with the 3rd generation is that PRESSURE boxes will eat injectors, but timing and duration boxes are usually just fine.

I have to disagree on the cost of a good set of injectors. The Ford and Chevy guys are nailed to the wall when it comes to injectors. I'm certain a good set of Ford HEUI injectors is going to be $2500, and Duramax injectors are close behind. But there are enough good aftermarket injector companies for the Cummins engine that prices are considerably lower.

DDP also makes some great injectors. I have seen 2 different 3rd gen trucks make well over 600rwhp fuel only with twins.. I watched 2 trucks spin over 650rwhp with sticks and twins at Diesel Thunder this year, and the injectors were the last thing they went for.

md lucky, you are right, the ISB injectors are not that expensive. I had some figures stuck in my head from a project I just finished that had Celect Plus injectors which are quite a bit more expensive. A good set of ISB Common Rail injectors are about 500 a set.

My business makes nozzles for most turbo diesel injectors, and rebuilding the injectors with better nozzles can improve power, fuel economy , and produce a smoother running diesel.

Make sure to avoid chinese made nozzles or injectors, they can ruin an engine.

You can also make good improvements with chips or tuning boxes, either before or after the injectors are upgraded.

A fuel air separator like the FASS system is worth a look. And an EGT becomes important once the engine HP is raised substantially.

There's lots of ways to improve turbo diesels and lots of good companies out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back