'70 Farmalll 826, D-358, 15W-40 Rotella-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the first oil analysis for a 36 year old tractor with almost 8100 hours, the rough equivalent of 491,000 miles. I'm pleased with the results. Kinda surprised actually how good it was, even though it runs like a top. The oil hours are low, and I know I can run it lots more hours, but that's all the work it does in one season and I am hesitant to go longer than 1 year. I've owned it three years now. It had been run on the Case-IH brand of SAE 30 and it had a fresh change when purchased. It slurped gallons taht first season, so I switched to 15W-40 and gradually the oil use has tapered off to about what is noted below, 1-2 quarts a season. It's used for tillage only and is usually puilling hard.

Blackstone's Comments: "This is the first oil we have sampled from an IH D-358 diesel, so we will build and averages file beginnning with this sample. The IH Farmall is a true workhorse and yours is certainly no exception. All the wear metals looked good after your 75-hour oil run. No fuel, water or anti-freeze was present in the oil and it's vicosity was normal for a 15W-40 product. Low silicon and insoluables show good air and oil filtration. The TBN was 11.1, loads of additive left. 1.0 is consiodered too low a reading. Looks like the Shell Rotella-T was working well for you."

Year, Make and Model- 1970 IH Farmall 826
Engine- D-358 (Neuss built)
Hours On Unit- 8,089
OCI- Annual or 100 hours.
Oil Use Interval- 75 hours
Make-Up Oil- 1 quart (was almost 1 quart low at change)
Oil Filter- Wix 56870
Oil- Shell Rotella-T 15W-40 CI-4

Test Results-
(Note: zero readings not shown)

TBN- 11.1
Aluminum- 2
Chromium- 2
Iron- 18
Copper 1
Lead- 1
Molybdenum- 4
Potassium- 4
Boron- 7
Sodium- 3
Calcium 3081
Magnesium- 15
Phosphorus- 1000
Zinc- 1128
SUS @ 210- 77.8
Flashpoint- 415
fuel- insoluables- 0.4

That is an amazingly good UOA considering the age of the tractor and the technology the engine is utilizing. This is another good example of GOOD old technology. Although it helps a lot that you make it work. Looks like it'll still be going strong at 16200 hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back