Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel. I will be turning 20k miles soon. When I do I plan on changing to synthetic oil.

I have been using the (dino) Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40. This is the dino oil that Cummins recommends for my motor.

The synthetic that Cummins recommends is the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40.

My question is this. I posted for some more information about the Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40 on a dodge website and the response I got was that it wasn't a true synthetic.

Is this true? If so, is there a true synthetic 5W-40 Diesel motor oil that would meet all of the same criteria (the Cummins CES 20078, CES 20076, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, SL CES 20077)?

How about Schaeffers Supreme 9000? I can buy it for about the same price as the Valvoline.

The extreme is Group III synthetic and will work wonderfully. Amsoil 5-30 is a full group IV V synthetic you are looking for and will fit your bill. Schaffers is more than likely a blend of IV, V, and Group III, but check there website. Nothing wrong with the Valvoline Extreme, just stay on the correct OCI>

If you have an 06 Cummins, it might be advisable to stay away from the 5w30. I have emailed Cummins numerous times, and they strongly advise against 30 weights. Why? It is possible that using a 30 weight you may encounter crank problems. Why? because it is too light of a viscosity. Even though Amsoil says you can use it, Maybe go with what is recommended. Which is 15W40 or 5W40. I have no doubt that the 5W30HDD will perforem wonderfully, but I don't want to take the chance of using a 30 weight in my 13000 engine when a 40 is called for. I use 0W40 because it is the same on the top end, but has the low low temperature properties tha I need, because it DOES get down to -30 where I live, and at higher temps like in the summer, it is higher than a 0 weight because the lower number is calculated at 0 degrees celsius. If you want a TRUE synthetic 5W40 then if you are going to use Amsoil use their new 5w40. Further to your break in issue, it says IN YOUR MANUAL that your Cummins engine does not require any special break in. this 20000 mile number is old school mentality. There are countless manufacturers that use syn as factory fill. It advises in your manual that you can use synthetic after your first oil change. If you plan to use VPBX, then why not use it after your 2nd oil change. Just because it is DINO based, does not mean it is not a good oil.

D-Roc,
Thanks! I'm going to go with the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Synthetic 5W-40 for now. I am doing all my own PM, and Dodge loves to try and find a reason to void your warranty. Using the Cummins approved oil and change interval for the 100k mile engine warranty will give them one less thing to ________ about should I have a motor warranty issue. After that I'll put a bypass filter on and go to Amsoil or Schaefers.

The 20k mile break in recommendations came from Cummins. I e-mailed them. If you are interested let me know and I will dig through my old e-mails and find it.

The reason I want to go full synthetic is I've had really good luck with it in my race cars (mostly stock BMW motors). I know the Dodge will see much less severe use, and will be fine with the Valvoline product that was made with Cummins in mind.

According to the MSDS. It is 20% PAO and the rest is Group III. I ran this oil recently in my LS1 and it seemed to perform well. A sample will be sent off for a UOA soon.

Either way Amsoil showed about the same numbers from 5-30 to 15-40....no excessive wear numbers there! The 5-30 Hdd....I feel will work wonderfully for you, save you fuel, and Winter time starts will be easier. If the crankshaft bearings were not liking the 5-30, wear numbers would have been up. Remember the 5-30 is Amsoil's best....and the most agressive additive package and shear strength oil film has been designed into this oil!

Point well taken. I have wanted to use that oil for some time to try and pick up a little bit of economy, but am still unsure about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back