Question about Run Flat tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've been a member of this forum for a while, but usually I don't have much to post about since I can get all sorts of good information via the "search" feature. However, I've done a search, but cannot seem to find out anything about Run Flat tires.

They seem like a good thing on my wife's Mini Cooper as the Cooper doesn't have a spare tire. However, the front 2 tires wore out and the Mini dealer wanted $250 per tire. A local guy quoted $220 per tire so without any real savings, we had the tires replaced at the dealer - Yikes. Now the tires seem to need balancing and they are quoting $95 to balance them (I think this is the "each" price). What's up with this? Any comments/alternatives appreciated. Thanks.
Kurt

I'm not familiar with Mini Coopers or their tires, but with those prices, I don't see much gained by going spare-less. Have you considered just purchasing regular tires plus an extra rim for a spare?

Downside - less room in the trunk.
Upside - less cost, and I'm guessing the regular tires may be lighter, which could offset the extra weight of the spare and jack.

How long ago did you buy them? Did they feel balanced when you first got them? $95 sounds very steep for rebalancing, especially since I've never had to rebalance a tire.

Rebalancing should be covered free by the place that installed them.. if they dont raise a fuss.
Also tirerack.com is a good place to buy those tires.

I suspect the $95 is a total mounting price - about $25 per tire. Run Flat tires are more difficult to mount, requiring special equipment and special, careful, mounting procedures, especially to keep from damaging the TPMS's.

I discussed the conversation my wife had with the dealer. I'm sure it was $95 to re-balance all 4 wheels. I think they should re-balance the front two for free. The back 2 are still original but they will need to be changed in about 5,000 miles. Maybe at that time I'll have the fresh tires in the front and have them balanced then.

The car has no provision for a spare. No place to put even a donut tire (which wouldn't save much space anyway over the regular mini tires).

I'll check out that website. Thanks guys.

The Toyota Sienna van has optional run-flat tires. Back in 2004 while researching what conveyance to buy the Sienna was on the possible-buy list.

At the stealership they pushed the run-flat option. Asking about replacement cost the sales-type human scurried off, returning with the parts counter dude. Forgot the exact price but it was extremely HIGH!!!! A thousand bucks per tire comes to mind. Eeeeeeek!!!!!!

Of course, if thou art rolling in money perhaps a thousand bucks is chump change. But, for old coots such as I.....

Eeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!

Despite the drawbacks (a Web search will reveal them) perhaps a couple or more cans of the "fix-a-flat" stuff may be a better option than run-flat tires. Just use regular el cheapo tires and rely upon the cans of goop if needed.

Could these be the notorious Michelin PAX tires?If so you may want to consider scraping them,buy new wheels and tires and carry a can of fix a flat.Honda is pushing these miserable tires on the Odyssey,they last about 23k and Honda wants 650 bucks each to change the tire and wheel as a set.Brothers Honda now uses OEM Honda wheels(not PAX) and regular tires.Added bonus is the ride is much improved.

If you are planning a trip to Afghanistan or Irag, then I would highly suggest run flats. Otherwise, save your money.
canada.gif
rugerman.gif

I've got a coworker with a Lotus Elise. He had it modified with tires that weren't runflats, and carries a couple of Fix-a-Flat cans.

I guess the biggest problem with those repair cans is that a tire shop is going to charge a bunch to clean out the sealant from the rim.

Best fix for flats = AAA membership and a cell phone.
Run flat tires wear quickly and are very expensive. If you don't get flats (I average one every 20 years), you don't need run flats.

Quote:

.....Run flat tires wear quickly and are very expensive.......

Just a bit of clarification:

In order to make a tire have RunFlat capability, it has to be fairly low aspect ratio - and that generally means high speed ratings - which are expensive and wear quickly.

Yes, RunFlat tires are more expensive than their non-RunFlat equivalents. However, their equivalents aren't cheap, either.

Wear quickly - again, their non-runflat equivalents don't wear well either.

Hope this helps clarify the issue.

Quote:

Quote:

.....Run flat tires wear quickly and are very expensive.......

Just a bit of clarification:

In order to make a tire have RunFlat capability, it has to be fairly low aspect ratio - and that generally means high speed ratings - which are expensive and wear quickly.

Yes, RunFlat tires are more expensive than their non-RunFlat equivalents. However, their equivalents aren't cheap, either.

Wear quickly - again, their non-runflat equivalents don't wear well either.

Hope this helps clarify the issue.

Of course there are exceptions. For my tire size (205/55R15 - reasonably low profile but not ultra-low by any means) I can find several reasonably high wear tires. Both are in the "touring" category, but the Continental ContiProContact SSR was only $108 each at TR, and has a 400 UTQG rating. Theoretically I could have them installed, but I'd probably need an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system. It might really be worth it for winter tires. I've been in blizzard conditions where I really wouldn't want to get out to put on the spare, and where the cold temps might make Fix-a-Flat hard to use.

Quote:

At the stealership they pushed the run-flat option. Asking about replacement cost the sales-type human scurried off, returning with the parts counter dude. Forgot the exact price but it was extremely HIGH!!!! A thousand bucks per tire comes to mind. Eeeeeeek!!!!!!

What? I just got my service/parts flyer from the local dealership. Runflats for a Sienna, all four installed, with Hunter RF balancing, comes to $1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back