Why Motul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam

For racing 2-stroke go karts, a number of folks in my area are using Motul. This stuff sells for $27 per quart! and is pre-mix at 16:1 ... so on this basis, it costs $6.75 per gallon of fuel to mix.

On the other hand, Amsoil Saber Professional is also a recommendation for this application, and can be mixed at 80:1, or 50:1 for racing. Amsoil sells for $11.35 per quart in my area. At 50:1 it would cost me just 90 cents per gallon of fuel to mix.

That is a HUGE difference, and means that the Motul is 7.5 times more expensive than the Amsoil!!!

Can someone explain to me the basic differences between the two products, and how 7.5 times the cost is worth it???

Thanks.

Also, is there any tests or documented evidence that suggests that Motul provides performance or protection benefits that are more than 7 times greater?

When I raced I ran Amsoil and Mobil MX2T at 40:1 in Enduro/Hare Scramble and 32:1 in MX. I never ran Motul, but everyone that ran it ran the same mix ratios. I suspect the 16:1 has more to do with the extreme high-rpm continous loads you see in karts than the oil. You can run the mix as much as 12:1 as long as you keep the engine jetted lean enough.

Last edited:
Maybe Amsoil Dominator would be a better choice than the Sabre? I think the Sabre's focus is low smoke. Originally I ran Sabre in my 49cc racing bicycle
wink.gif
but then switched to Dominator.

The racing kart motors wouldn't last long at 50-80:1 with any oil. They also make more power with more oil in the mix.

Migration time has to be considered with twostroke. Oil enters the intake than get flung around and then what's not burnt up gets blown out the pipe. The higher the rpm the less time it has to "stick" around. Generally engines that opererate at higher rpms need more oil in the mix just to obtain the same amount of lubrictaion. So when an oil blender says thier product can be used in a variety of different applications with 1 ratio, they full of it. Often they include a disclaimer "or at manufacturer suggested ratio", which always a better bet than what some marketing clown put on the label.

Quote:

Magic happens to oils when imported from Europe........they somehow triple in price....IMO

Totally agreed. The rest of the world see some of the domestic USA lube products as some of the best stuff money can buy. Just because you guy get it cheap there doesn't mean the overpriced euro stuff is better.

For good racing 2T, take a look at companies who have lots of history in dirtbike racing. Maxima or Belray for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back