Synthetic Transmission Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the Valvoline Maxlife in my 2000 CRV 6,000 miles ago. My complete non-professional opinion is that there has been no difference in the performance of the car. I am always skeptical of people's perceptions anyway. You can get Honda's ATF Z1 much cheaper online (google it). I got some for a little under $4.00/ qt. Used it in my 2005 Ody. Now will simply use the Valvo unless something happens with the CRV.

ref

Quote:

I wish I could say the same for the PS pump. Makes sort of a growl after a long drive. And it's filled with the factory Honda juice. I don't think it's a fluid issue, I know Honda is beginning to recognize some Ody's have this noise issue, but I'm not sure as to the cause and if they have rolled out a fix.

offtopic.gif

My '01 Civic has had a whiney PS pump since it came from the dealership. Original fluid, too. I was worried about it at first but 95k later and no change, I don't care anymore.

We have a fleet of Ford E350 service vans and toyota pickups and a RX300. We use a BG flush machine every 50K with Amsoil ATF. Trans pan is dropped every other flush and new filter installed or cleaned. Accumulated nearly 2 million with no transmission problems. Fluid is cheap compared to a trans rebuild, and we can't afford to have a service van off the road.

Newer Honda transmissions will only drain 3 quarts at a time so even using an expensive fluid such as Amsoil will not break the bank. Z-1 at the local Honda dealer is $4.50, not too bad especially when only buying 3 quarts. Even though these units are not known for their durablility they are easy to maintain. No pan to drop, no filter to replace, convienent drain plug for simple drain and fills. Much easier than my F150. Typically, I service the tranny every 10K at the same time I change my oil. These trannys need all the help they can get.

I use Amsoil ATF in my Dodge Cummins. Works great! Smoothed out the shift from Low to Second and much better at extremely cold temps. Use with confidence.

I also used a 3x drain-and-refill of Specialty Formulation's ATF for my '02 Honda Accord V6, and yes I feel the shift quality has improved, especially when cold or when I've really got my foot in it.

My two cents.

I'd buy it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back